Author Topic: fireworks  (Read 9986 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Re: fireworks
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 10:42:11 PM »
I have had fun with my three and my secret weapon tonight.
I've been carrying round a tube of primula cheese and ham and squirting it in their mouths after every bang they alerted to.
I think it has been a remarkable success. :shades:
Oli kicks off, gets in a woof, douglas runs for cover and Bayley tenses up.
I call out "cheese", show em the tube and they're all there for a mouthful,it totally diffused the tension.
after a while they seemed to get the hang of it that bangs meant yummy cheese.
I'll try anything at this time of year and it seems with my three at least I may have hit the jackpot. :D

Mark

Ben has had a lot of sausage, chicken and clicker training tonight!  He finally stopped the frightened staring at the windows and started barking with his tail clamped on his bum  :huh:  He looked so unhappy that the ignoring the bangs and his behaviour was not a good idea ................ so I pinched one of yours Mark  :005:

Getting the clicker out of the drawer alone worked!  That along with a handful of treats and he was in heaven - until the treats ran out!

Rescue remedy was next on my list and he is now asleep  ;)

I am a bit cross with my neighbours though - a firework party in their garden and they know I have a dog and two cats ....................... any prior warning?  No!  If it was the 5th November I may forgive the lack of warning but this is two days early - couldn't they have let me know ???????

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 10:15:40 AM »
Billy has been an absolute nightmare this year  :'(

Usually he doesn't bother at all but this year he has barked, very very loudly none stop after every bang."woof, woof, woof, woof, woof" on and on and on and on. He must be driving my neighbours mad  ph34r

I don't think he's frightened , I think he's just trying to alert us to the fact that there is a loud noise. Am not sure. Gave him loads of RR but it did zilch  :-\

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »
Billy has been an absolute nightmare this year  :'(

Usually he doesn't bother at all but this year he has barked, very very loudly none stop after every bang."woof, woof, woof, woof, woof" on and on and on and on. He must be driving my neighbours mad  ph34r

I don't think he's frightened , I think he's just trying to alert us to the fact that there is a loud noise. Am not sure. Gave him loads of RR but it did zilch  :-\

try the Top Barks method tonight  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 10:53:46 AM »
Is Valerian extract the same as Rescue Remedy.  Molly has been having Valerian every night for the last week, and I havent noticed much difference, but last night she was really, really very edgy at around 6pm just before all the local displays started kicking off.  Tried to ignore her as much as possible and turned on radio, all curtains drawn (as well as blinds), but she was very unsettled.   May try Top Barks suggestion, see if that helps.

Lynne
mollypooch

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 11:06:31 AM »
I've been carrying round a tube of primula cheese and ham and squirting it in their mouths after every bang they alerted to.
I call out "cheese", show em the tube and they're all there for a mouthful,it totally diffused the tension.
I'll try anything at this time of year and it seems with my three at least I may have hit the jackpot. :D

Mark

by George I think he's got it!!!

Jarv does an Olly, and gets really frustrated and tense - is better with a dose of Emergency Essence but now we have been having a great game with cheese and ham and firework bangs....cept there's so many fireworks around he'll be the Goodyear blimp by the end of the firework season  :005:

THANK YOU MARK  :-*

Great idea, will do this tonight, i had 2 pathetic balls of nerves last night (who peed on my bed >:()

Poor Jarvis has been on a diet for the past week or so 'cos he got porky whilst recovering from his op :embarassed: but i'll give him a few nights off whilst the fireworks are still going.
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Chellejm

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 11:24:46 AM »
More doggies :(
Herbie wasn't impressed by all the fireworks last night either :-\
He  was outside for a wee when there was a big 'bang' and he ran straight in and wee'd on the floor bless him!
The Herbster!!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 11:29:33 AM »
More doggies :(
Herbie wasn't impressed by all the fireworks last night either :-\
He  was outside for a wee when there was a big 'bang' and he ran straight in and wee'd on the floor bless him!

aaww bless him  :'( :'(
 It must be so so stressfull for them  :'(

Billy is ok with the little ones , it's the great big ones that go "BANG" really loudly that he doesn't like & there were loads of them last night  >:D

He only barks where we are there though, we popped to the shops last night & I listened at the door & he didn't bark  :-\

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 11:37:09 AM »
My cockers didnt bat an eyelid at the bangs but my big (supposedly fearless) lurcher jumped on my lap and didnt shift the whole night. He NEVER does that!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 12:34:14 PM »

Mark

by George I think he's got it!!!

Jarv does an Olly, and gets really frustrated and tense - is better with a dose of Emergency Essence but now we have been having a great game with cheese and ham and firework bangs....cept there's so many fireworks around he'll be the Goodyear blimp by the end of the firework season  :005:

THANK YOU MARK  :-*

Great idea, will do this tonight, i had 2 pathetic balls of nerves last night (who peed on my bed >:()

Poor Jarvis has been on a diet for the past week or so 'cos he got porky whilst recovering from his op :embarassed: but i'll give him a few nights off whilst the fireworks are still going.

The key is well you have to stay aloof and jolly, if you get tense because they do it won't work.
I treat it as a game and last night was the best they have ever been.
Maybe it was just a one off but I'll be armed again tonight with the squeezy stuff to see if I get the same reaction.
Yes they were scared, but I didn't have three cockers hanging on to me for dear life which is what i normally get at this time of year.
A lot of dogs won't take food when stressed so it has to be something novel and extremely yummy for it to work.
If anyone does try it I'd love to know how you get on.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 05:02:17 PM »
Hey Mark

I was told about the cheese (but forgot till I saw your post  ph34r ) and also if you put a bit on their nose so they have to lick it off as apparently the licking calms them down or de stresses  :-\  would you say i was told right or could it be an old wives tale??  :huh:

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 05:09:21 PM »
Bella didn't bat an eyelid, initially she ran outside to see what was happening, that was about it, we left the patio door open (as it usually is) and we all just carried on regardless
We were out on a walk today and some idiot set off a banger  >:D. Bella was oblivious, but some of the other poor dogs around were obviously frightened

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 05:14:24 PM »
 >:( >:(  the bangs have started again here for the evening - my two are going mental; I have dosed them up with EE and turned up the radio  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 06:48:01 PM »
If anyone does try it I'd love to know how you get on.

Mixed success here, I'm afraid Mark - I now have two dogs who barking at ME, demanding a yummy treat, rather than barking at the fireworks (in fact, I can't hear the fireworks for the barking)  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 07:03:31 PM »
. :blink:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Bev

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 07:18:05 PM »
arnie is better tonightmim just getting on with things hoovering .ironing etc.he is not shaking tonight.and im not making to much fuss.thanks for all the advice and help