Author Topic: which laptop for a 21 year old boy who likes games? help !  (Read 3019 times)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
which laptop for a 21 year old boy who likes games? help !
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »
Im not up to speed on the latest pcs nowadays.. which has the best processers memory etc and value for money as well so all advice gratefully received! ta! its for a 21st birthday.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Re: which laptop for a 21 year old boy who likes games? help !
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 07:32:33 PM »
I have an Acer and would recommend, I would not recomeend PC world's brand err.. begins with an A but the name escapes me. Do a google search for laptop reviews. Epinions, ciao, other review sites and for the 'expert' opinions; Which.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 07:54:42 PM »
  ;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:25:44 PM »
My old boss bought her son a Dell  :-\ not sure of the ins and outs of them but he is into games  :shades:

Offline LakesUk

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 09:20:24 PM »
Jean,

I'd have a look at the dell ones, you should be able to pick up a good one from there.

If you know a bit more about what he wants have a look at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=959&catid=958

Now if money was not a problem i would point you in the direction of www.alienware.co.uk  ph34r these are some serious gaming pc's / laptops but with prices to match.

Andy.

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:24:49 PM »

Now if money was now a problem i would point you in the direction of www.alienware.co.uk  ph34r these are some serious gaming pc's / laptops but with prices to match.

Andy.

hmm funny that my OH has pointed Jean in that direction!! I think an Alien number will be on his Christmas list.......note to self must rob a bank!!

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 08:11:35 AM »
they are way too expensive! but wouldnt he love one.. :luv:
 its for my cousins boy.. his mams buying but I think she will be hoping to not spend too much!  ;)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
We have a Dell (OH work computer) and an Acer we bought in addition to the desktop.  Out of the two, the Acer has definitely been less trouble.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 07:05:49 AM »
It was Advent that's PC world's brand which is apparantly terrible. What is the budget? I spent AGES researching and at the time, (about 16 months ago) Acer provided the best value for money in terms of spec, price and reliability. Used mine for probably 50 hours a week over for 16 months and never a problem  ;)
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline JenSam

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:46:21 AM »
We just bought a new laptop yesterday as ours was a heap of junk!   >:D

We got an Acer, big memory and hard drive and high speed (OH knows all about this stuff).  Only £499 from PC world.  Apparently is good for handling mutiple tasks at the same time (blurb underneath it in the shop).  Although, my OH plays football manager on the laptop and he has noticed a big difference already with the speed of it.

So far, so good.
Dogs are natural optimists and believe if they stare hard enough and long enough, the icing on the cake could be theirs.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 05:35:51 PM »
My son is always on his PC playing games and when he wanted a new one we were told not to go for a laptop (this was what my son really wanted) but to go for a PC as you can add on whatever you want to these where as the life of a laptop is pretty limited and you are really limited to what you can add to them. We ended up going to Scan near us but it's online www.scan.co.uk and you can order everything you want and the latest spec and you can either make it up yourself (cost about £600 for a high class gaming pc including windows vista ultimate and norton internet security) or for a fee they will build it for you. The gaming ones my son had his eye on were about £1300 and this does exactly the same for half the price.

We do have a Toshiba laptop aswell which the younger ones have put some PC games on like Guildwars and Guns which work fine.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline *Adele*

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 05:43:52 PM »
My laptop, which is currently in for repair as we think the motherboard has gone, is fantastic usually! LMAO! It's much better spec than my desktop and is a gaming laptop, it cost me £1k in January mind! I used to play The Sims2 a lot and it ran fantastically on the laptop even with all the expansion packs! It is a HP one with a huge widescreen monitor and the one reason why I picked that one is because it actually has the number keypad still on the right hand side! Not what everyone needs but as I work on my laptop as well and do a lot of data entry including numbers, it is VERY important!

Despite the motherboard going I am very happy with it and am missing it like mad!!!!  :005: I would have another any day! I actually think the ex messed it up for me as he had sent me an email outlining what he would pay me after the split!  >:D Now I've lost the email.... coincidence????  >:( Anyway, totally OTT!  :005:

Offline *jean*

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 06:23:19 PM »
hes getting a Gateway MX8716b 17" Laptop from tescos.
 thanks for all your help!