Author Topic: 1yr old and still having food nightmares!  (Read 3380 times)

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
Re: 1yr old and still having food nightmares!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 09:17:48 AM »
sounds very famililar!  Quincy is a pain with his food, hes 10 monmths now and hasnt really taken to any of his food given for dinner, unless its mixed with real chicken juice or chicken fillet/mince.  and also with the treat thing when out walking i tried a bag of real chicken one day and he was still far too interested in going doolally in the bushes to be even slightly taken by the thought of fresh chicken!   Im trying to be strong and not give him any extra treats during the day so that he becomes hungry enough to eat it, hes on that natures menu now which i think looks and smells lovely, but hes still walking up having a look then turning away as if to say 'so wheres the rest?'  i dont think he eats very much for such an active dog? but he seems healthy.  I put dry food down in the morning along with sea jerky and other dry treats which he always munches on happilly. Thinking maybe just feed him on dry only but it seems so boring.  We have to be strong and not give into those gorgeous eyes! im sure when theyre hungry enough theyll eat what they have in front of them! fingers crossed x
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx

Offline JFJ

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
We give our dog Sea Jerky from Fish4dogs, she is a fussy eater but first thing when she gets up she goes and sits by the cupboard hoping one will fall out. She also has their dried dog food, all the fish oil is good for her arthritis. Our spaniel loved it as well and being low fat it helped with his weight.

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 09:59:36 AM »
Our dogs weren't overly keen on Kibble but eat it better if it has been soaked in warm water or mixed with a bit of yoghurt.

Our dog Jasmine isn't interested in food when we are out, so we used a ball for her recall as that is what she loves.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

kobi

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 03:31:01 PM »
Hi Gemma
              Kobi is 10 month old cocker and for the first few months he was just like yours what ever we put down he would sniff and leave it we tried all sorts of wet and dry food i know people would say put it down for 15 Min's and if he didn't touch it take it away if that was the case ours wouldn't eat but now we have stuck to one kind of food and thats chappie maybe not everyones choice but it does kobi  which he now eats all be it a bit fussilly but he will eat it, the best time i have found to feed kobi is after a walk put a bowl of food down and its gone in 5 Min's
Regards Alan

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »
Chappie for problems here too!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Dilemma

• Site Member
  • Sydney
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »
Its amazing how many of you have had/are having the same problems.  Puts my mind at rest! 

We had out first agility class last night and I took a bag of cheese, carrot and dried sausage chunks.  The sausage made all the treats small smokey and yummy and they certainly did the trick.  So smell I think is my key here!  We were also given a recipe for liver cake so guess what I'll be doing this weekend!!!   :005:  :D

Thanks again everyone
GB-x-

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 10:35:54 AM »
Our dogs weren't overly keen on Kibble but eat it better if it has been soaked in warm water......

I was gonna suggest maybe soaking the kibble in hot water, it brings out the smells much better. :D

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 10:45:54 PM »
Wow is like reading about Fenn - she is an absolute nigntmare but after have a thorough health check the vet can find no problems so she is just a pain! We find that at the mo she has taken to Pedigree small bite mixer with either chicken (which always gets eaten) or with Fish.  We tried BARF but after a few days of eating tripe with gusto she even turns her nose up at that....it must be in the breed ::)...plus we left Fenn for a week, putting food down and picking up after 15 to 30mins...and she basically starved herself and lost a dramatic amount of weight...I think we are just gonna have to alternate her food from Chicken and pedigree mixer or with Fish ....but same as someone else said....when another dog is around she eats more...little darling
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x