Author Topic: LOUIS wont stop pacing  (Read 1251 times)

Offline deano

• Site Member
LOUIS wont stop pacing
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »
about an hour after  we left the vet Louis has started pacing slowly round and round and cant seem to lay down at all, his head is down to the floor and he doesnt want us to touch him, we cant get him to lay with us anywhere he doesnt even want his usual cuddles on my lap. does anyone know if this is a sign of him being in terrible pain, i can't understand as he  had the 2 pain killing injections around 1.30 this afternoon and wasnt doing the pacing when he started them last week.  On top of that the vet we saw last week who gave us the HD diagnosis told us to give him a continuation of 3 days RIMADYL tablets to follow the 3 injections she had given him then have a 5 day break and to start them again. the vet today has told me DONT give him the RIMADYL unless we see him limp or see any problems with his legs or he will suffer the same as he did on friday night. i am so confused at the 2 different pieces of advice, the first vet wrote the dose clearly on the bottle  and we wrote down everything she told us about HD and what to do so that we wouldnt do the wrong thing. she was obviously wrong and the rimadyl has probably been the cause of the severe pain he has had over the weekend and the awful diarrhea and sickness. its terrible watching him pace up and down in this way and not being able to help him and now i feel we have done something to contribute to his pain. He has to go back again tomorrow for the last 2 injections but am worried about him having them now.   ANY ADVICE ON THIS :-\

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: LOUIS wont stop pacing
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
It sounds like he's in pain, but it's hard to say.

I'd just give him some space and leave him be to do what he wants - you know what it's like yourself when you are not well and just want to be left alone. Not sure about the medication, I'd ring the vet, see what they say.

Poor Louis  :'(

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »
Poor poor boy  :'( ...sending some healing thoughts and hope he settles down soon..(((hug))) for you too x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:29:11 PM »
Poor Louis  :'(

I would ring the vet in case he is having a drug reaction. Sounds like it could possibly be the injections have made him sick.

Let us know how you get on 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 06:30:59 PM »
I would not give him any more injections or drugs at the moment. If it were Bailey I would give her a rest for a while and go with your gut feeling. You know him best :blink:

I would stop it all and let things settle if you can.

These drugs are causing upset maybe.  He probably has too much going on in his little body  :embarassed:

Thinking of the little chap  :luv:     Jo

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 08:05:40 PM »
 :'( Poor Louis, it must be awful for you to see him in distress like this.  :-\

In view of the conflicting advice of two vets I think I would phone them to find out why ? 

:huh: just a thought, Is it possible that  the 2nd vet hasn't explained things properly to you ? or you have misunderstood what he said ?

Sending healing thoughts for Louis  :luv: :-*

Jann  :luv:

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
We had to go back to the vet today, i think the first vet has mad the mistake and the second one is the secior and part owner of the surgery, when i asked her yesterday at which point he could have his Cosequin tablets (as i was worried about his joints) and also when he would have to start taking the Rimadyl she just said No , dont give him Rimadyl this will cause him to have the cramps, diarrhea etc, i explained that when he was diagnosed and  my OH and i both went to the surgery we wrote down exactly what she was telling us regarding the condition the tablets and the doses, on checking the rimadyl bottle she has written in pen 2 daily no more than 5 days max and then 5 day break before restarting and i had written it down exactly as she said it so its definately her mistake.
I saw a different vet this morning and tried to explain this in my non existent spanish and her small amount of english and she said he must have the two injections today as it will finish the course and the pain he suffered is normal after having the injection in the leg muscle once it kicks in, i asked her to feel his tummy before she did the injections incase there was no pain but after she did this she said he still had pain in his tummy, she wants to see him tomorrow to see how he is but i will tell her no more injections and see how he is wthout them.
stil angry that the breeder doesnt want to know and my little boy suffering like this.
Thanks for thinking of Louis   :angel:

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
 ;) Glad you took him back, you must feel happier now  :-\

I hope you have better news tomorrow and Louis has a better day today  :luv:

Offline isaka

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 04:47:06 PM »
Sorry to hear about Louis hope he improves when the course of whatever they are giving him is finished.
did you get my last email with info on the breeder and a contact number that I sent you last night?.
If you want anything translated from spanish to english or vice versa, just send me a mail.

Shelley in Spain

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »
Hi Shelley

Can't see it in my inbox can you resend ?.   Didnt take Louis back to the vets yesterday as he seemed a lot better in himself, i think whatever the Rimadyl did to to as hopefully gone now, i need to find an alternative for the days he will be in pain as not giving him them anymore now ive read a lot more about it.
When i took Alfie to be groomed yesterday the Reiki lady was at the salon and i arranged for her to come and see Louis on Monday obviously its not a cure but it may help and i am prepared to try different things for him, was amazed she only charges euro 12.50 and said its fine if Alfie is in the room as she will do reiki on him at no extra charge which is nice of her. Apparently she did some while he was at the salon and it must have done something as he slept all afternoon after i collected him!.   Will sit and write another letter addressed to both of my breeders tomorrow and will mail you to see what you think and if you can help with translation.
had advice to write to the kennel club in Gib but not heard anything as yet.
 :blink:

Offline isaka

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
I'm sooo glad that Louis is better, I more or less posted what I sent you under the question you placed in the genetics and breeding section.
Shelley in Spain

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »
Glad he is feeling better  :luv:  What a dreadful time you have both been having.
Jo