Author Topic: Half check collars  (Read 8641 times)

Cazzie

Re: Half check collars
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 10:57:23 PM »
Ok so why against a check collar  :-\ If a pup is trained correctly for day 1 there should be no pulling so therefore it wouldnt matter what collar they wear  :-\
But if you have a dog who does pull and you are training it not to, again does it matter what collar as if trained correctly the dog should never be allowed to pull to the extent that it will choke itself  :-\ JMO

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 10:59:38 PM »
What is the difference between a half-check collar (which is a training tool, not a normal collar) and a training harness?

The difference is half-check collar/collars - control and direct the head of the animal,  training harnesses control the dogs body - think about it ...why are harnesses used for horses ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »
You certainley get out what you put in ;) and if a harness works for you then thats great...but you hear all to often people saying they can't stop their dog pulling on the lead and instead of persevering they go out and buy a harness or the like and so on and so on. I  personally don't think that harnesses are good to teach a dog to stop pulling and walk correctly I also think they can affect a dogs conformation and head carriage as does pulling but thats another story.

I'm one of those people  ph34r  and I don't care.  Harnesses have made walks much more enjoyable for all of us.
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 11:01:39 PM »
Ok so why against a check collar  :-\ If a pup is trained correctly for day 1 there should be no pulling so therefore it wouldnt matter what collar they wear  :-\
But if you have a dog who does pull and you are training it not to, again does it matter what collar as if trained correctly the dog should never be allowed to pull to the extent that it will choke itself  :-\ JMO

In my case I did not have Charlie from a pup and he came with pulling steam train stye problems! I do not use a harness I use a regular collar, he came with a choke chain and pulled so much he used to make him self sick!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 11:04:29 PM »
You certainley get out what you put in ;) and if a harness works for you then thats great...but you hear all to often people saying they can't stop their dog pulling on the lead and instead of persevering they go out and buy a harness or the like and so on and so on.

Yes, that's true - but the practicalities of modern life mean that most people have to use a lead to get to an exercise area, and the old adage is "never train a wired dog, only train a tired dog". 

I want to let my dogs run and get rid of some energy so that they are in the best possible frame of mind before I train them; so I use a harness to prevent them pulling and reinforcing the behaviour.   Once they are exercised, then I work on training them to walk nicely on their collars (flat, not check)  :D  Molo is doing really well, but Bonnee is taking a bit longer - but at least I know I have not caused them stress or discomfort to achieve what I want them to do  ;)

What is the difference between a half-check collar (which is a training tool, not a normal collar) and a training harness?

The difference is half-check collar/collars - control and direct the head of the animal,  training harnesses control the dogs body - think about it ...why are harnesses used for horses ;)

I'm not sure I understand this; surely a halti/gentle leader controls the head far better than a collar ever could ? :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
Yes, that's true - but the practicalities of modern life mean that most people have to use a lead to get to an exercise area, and the old adage is "never train a wired dog, only train a tired dog". 

I want to let my dogs run and get rid of some energy so that they are in the best possible frame of mind before I train them;

Errrm sorry but why would you want to get rid of a dogs energy before you train  :-\

I would have thought that you should be able to train a dog with this high energy, as well as after it has let off some energy

Surely if you only ever train after they have let off some energy you ain't gonna be able to control / train them if and when needed when they are full of energy

I train ALL my dogs both when they are full of energy and after they have let some out - as this was the advice I got of a fantastic well known trainer (before I had cockers, and also since I have had cockers)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 11:17:39 PM »

I want to let my dogs run and get rid of some energy so that they are in the best possible frame of mind before I train them;

Errrm sorry but why would you want to get rid of a dogs energy before you train  :-\

I would have thought that you should be able to train a dog with this high energy, as well as after it has let off some energy

Surely if you only ever train after they have let off some energy you ain't gonna be able to control / train them if and when needed when they are full of energy

I train ALL my dogs both when they are full of energy and after they have let some out - as this was the advice I got of a fantastic well known trainer (before I had cockers, and also since I have had cockers)

I consider energy to be like any other "distraction" and introduce it gradually; so I would never train a "new" behaviour when they are wired and unexercised, but I will expect well established behaviours to be displayed at any time  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 11:19:03 PM »

In my case I did not have Charlie from a pup and he came with pulling steam train stye problems! I do not use a harness I use a regular collar, he came with a choke chain and pulled so much he used to make him self sick!

That is very true  ;) Sweepie is the same, therefore I have had to train her with no lead and no collar to walk to heel. She is getting the idea but will still pull sometimes if I have her on a lead, there for it would make no difference what collar she had on or lead, she would still choke herself, yes a harness would stop her choking and I do have 2 for her, but it doesnt cure the pulling, I will one day get her to walk correctly on the lead and until such times she will go without a lead and be walked on her own or with the younger dogs to avoid the pulling as she only pulls on the lead when the bigger dogs are on our walks :D

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 11:19:26 PM »

Becuase if they are all hyped up with energy they are less likely to concentrate.

I have always always been taught to train Billy after he's had some exercise. The training class we used to go to was straight after i got home from work, hence we had no time to exercise him before hand & he was very very difficult during classes. So we changed classes to a later one which meant we had half an hour before to do some exercise & use up some energy . the difference was truly amasing!

I thought everyone did this  :huh: It's always what i was taught anyway, by numerous trainers.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 11:25:10 PM »
I'm not sure I understand this; surely a halti/gentle leader controls the head far better than a collar ever could ?

Yes possibly but i think Haltis/headcollars etc can be dangerous and could damage a dogs neck and spine if not used correctly. Not only that but they tend to irritate dogs eyes and you often see them pawing at their faces - It just gets silly, your walking a 10kg dog not a two tonne animal - next there will be 'Bits' for dogs mouths :005:

A good old fashioned collar/check collar/ slip lead would be my choice for the reasons already posted but as I have already said each to there own and it is for the original poster to choose what she wishes to do...
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 11:28:47 PM »
Becuase if they are all hyped up with energy they are less likely to concentrate.

I have always always been taught to train Billy after he's had some exercise. The training class we used to go to was straight after i got home from work, hence we had no time to exercise him before hand & he was very very difficult during classes. So we changed classes to a later one which meant we had half an hour before to do some exercise & use up some energy . the difference was truly amasing!

I thought everyone did this  :huh: It's always what i was taught anyway, by numerous trainers.

As I said I train both before and after they have let off some energy

It's a lot harder work to train a dog that has excess energy and I suppose that most people do it the way you do as it is easier  :-\

Ah and to go back to topic - I have never used a half choke

Cazzie

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 11:30:59 PM »

I suppose it makes sense, but like Cazza i prefer to train my dogs when they are fresh in mind, as I know that if I can control them in a fresh state of mind then I can control them anytime, well thats the theory anyway  :005:

I get the best in training from all my dogs when they are hyped up, as I know after excercise, they cant be bothered and are lax and un interested, therefore not really being much use.

If a dog imo is hyped up its easier to train as its instincts and on the ball, and if it is going to do something wrong or incorrectly then it will in this state, making it easier to correct in an instant, also I find im fresh in mind and on form to deal with every situation so to speak.

I suppose it can be compared with getting a child to run round the playing field a load of times before a maths lesson, I know I couldnt be focused after that  :D

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 11:39:22 PM »
I suppose it can be compared with getting a child to run round the playing field a load of times before a maths lesson, I know I couldnt be focused after that  :D

But I'm not talking about a three hour hike, just say,  a twenty minute off lead session.

I definately can't train Billy when he's all full of energy, he's a nightmare, he just bounces everywhere , like tigger  ::) oh and he barks, loads!  ::)

Cazzie

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 11:43:04 PM »

But I'm not talking about a three hour hike, just say,  a twenty minute off lead session.

I definately can't train Billy when he's all full of energy, he's a nightmare, he just bounces everywhere , like tigger  ::) oh and he barks, loads!  ::)

Yes but do you know why that is  :-\ I found that out about sweepie, it is because they do not find us one bit interesting and have no inclination to do or listen to one thing we ask of them, once you have mastered the art of making yourself the most irrisistable exciting thing to them, then you have cracked it  ;)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 11:46:46 PM »

Yes but do you know why that is  :-\ I found that out about sweepie, it is because they do not find us one bit interesting and have no inclination to do or listen to one thing we ask of them, once you have mastered the art of making yourself the most irrisistable exciting thing to them, then you have cracked it  ;)

No, with Billy it's excitement. It's like " what we doing mum, come on, come on, come on, quick, quick" He get's soooo excited and wants to do everything at break neck speed, whereas when he's had a run he's much more chilled and not so intent on doing everything as quick as he possibly can. Monster that he is  ::)