Author Topic: Half check collars  (Read 8644 times)

Cazzie

Re: Half check collars
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 11:49:01 PM »

Yes but do you know why that is  :-\ I found that out about sweepie, it is because they do not find us one bit interesting and have no inclination to do or listen to one thing we ask of them, once you have mastered the art of making yourself the most irrisistable exciting thing to them, then you have cracked it  ;)

No, with Billy it's excitement. It's like " what we doing mum, come on, come on, come on, quick, quick" He get's soooo excited and wants to do everything at break neck speed, whereas when he's had a run he's much more chilled and not so intent on doing everything as quick as he possibly can. Monster that he is  ::)

:005: So therefore you could train him in 2 mins  :005: :005: A quick sit, stay retrieve etc etc  :005: :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 11:50:57 PM »

Yes but do you know why that is  :-\ I found that out about sweepie, it is because they do not find us one bit interesting and have no inclination to do or listen to one thing we ask of them, once you have mastered the art of making yourself the most irrisistable exciting thing to them, then you have cracked it  ;)

That is exactly what the trainer said to me (and for those of you think it could have been the same trainer it definately wasn't )

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »
I prefer a harness for Dax because though he is pretty good on a collar and lead for his age pups will pull when they are distracted and I don't want him to hurt his neck.   ;) Use the ordinary collar and lead as well for training purposes so he gets used to a loose lead when walking but just for short bursts for now  :blink:.  Though we all have to make our own minds up about what is best for our dogs, I really don't like the half choke collars when they are used to yank a dog back for pulling (not suggesting anyone on here does this) but I have seen this done and it made me grimace.  :-\
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 06:28:20 AM »
I really don't like the half choke collars when they are used to yank a dog back for pulling (not suggesting anyone on here does this) but I have seen this done and it made me grimace.  :-\

Both the full check collar and the half-check are designed to be used through the use of a corrective "jerk", but neither should "yank" the dog; the aversive with the half-check is the noise it makes and an increased pressure (not tightening) around the neck acting to correct the dogs behaviour . 

The technique of using these collars needs to be taught properly and the handler trained to use it correctly - otherwise it can become uncomfortable or stressful for the dog  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 07:07:55 AM »
Ive used check collars on my Labs for years, and  have never yanked on their necks  :shades:
We call Nell ( Lab)  houdini girl, she  can escape very easily out of an ordinary collar, she sort of yanks herself out backwards  ::)  she did this near a very busy main road once  :o if there used correctly i can't see a problem. i would rather use a check collar on her  knowing that she is safe,  than have an ordinary collar round her neck that is very tight  :shades:

What I will say though is if you are going to use one it must be fitted correctly, which is that when the chain part is pulled taut the webbing part of the collar should meet. Any tighter than that and the chain will pinch the neck

Wot Michelle says  ;)
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 07:16:54 AM »
...I have no preferences either way - I am lucky Bracken does not pull. 

However, I walked (briefly and after a good exercise) my friends very large, GSD on Saturday, she was wearing a half-choke, and she walked beautifully - it definitely seemed that the moment she heard the chain, she slowed down and walked to heel automatically!!   I was quite impressed. ;)

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 07:42:47 AM »
I use them on my boys but I don't use the check part. They can be used without checking as they have two points for the lead to clip on.
I use them as I thnk they are better for the fur than a normal collar. When my dogs are inside I take the collars off.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 07:58:26 AM »
My trainer suggested that a half check collar may be good for Lola. I  understand how they are used in training when walking to heel but can anyone tell me are they supposed to be used as a normal collar or just for walks ?Are they safe to be left on without a lead?

Like Michele said they need to be fitted correctly, so as not to pinch a fold of skin if they tighten.  Also the chain part cant hang too low or the dog risks getting a paw caught when off lead.  I would never put a half-check on my dog if it was going to be jumping (e.g. agility, flyball, working trials) as I would fear a leg getting caught and them getting hurt. 

Storm has a half-check just because I think it looks pretty on her   ph34r  I trained her on a flat collar not to pull, and then moved her onto a half-check for heelwork.

The other discussion going on on the thread...most things/exercises I prefer to teach my dogs when they are fresh and hyper, the exceptions being scent and stays which I first introduce when they are calmer.

edited to add: the other thing with them is (like the metal on all collars) it can rust over time if allowed to get wet a lot (so check them often).  Having said that my Mum's collie wears her half-check all the time (so we can grab her easily when she gets OTT).  The dog has had the same collar for 15+ years, and it's only just starting to show signs of rust.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 08:31:12 AM »
Ive used check collars on my Labs for years, and  have never yanked on their necks  :shades:
We call Nell ( Lab)  houdini girl, she  can escape very easily out of an ordinary collar, she sort of yanks herself out backwards  ::)  she did this near a very busy main road once  :o if there used correctly i can't see a problem. i would rather use a check collar on her  knowing that she is safe,  than have an ordinary collar round her neck that is very tight  :shades:

This is why I use half check collars, always have & always will.
Also for various reasons would never leave a collar on any of my dogs, these are easy to slip on & off as required.
As Michele said they need to fit properly, they are not designed to pinch & although most of my dogs pull like trains when they are walked together, I certainly don't feel the need to yank their necks.
They learn the word "steady" for the ring & do try to be good on walks  ::) :005:
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »
I think any dog will walk much better on any type of collar/harness etc. after it has expended energy, so what do Rachel and others who prefer to train their dogs after they've burnt off some energy do before they arrive at their chosen destination.
My lot will pull to go on the walk, but walk to heel very happily on the way back. I don't see what you have enforced to make this happen. :dunno:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »
agree with you Michele

I take all my lot out on a one to one basis first thing in the morning and do lead training (without them having let off energy) and then they all get a walk together to the chosen destination (and a free for all hoolay - letting off steam etc and the only training done on this is recall and sit) Then they get a more indepth training programme on a one to one basis

(Ok so I have the time to do this so I am lucky - as I only work 2 days a week and my kids are at school, and old enough to be left when I do the first one to one, as I am always within shouting distance due to my location)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 11:06:35 AM »
Half checks are fine for everyday collars as long as they are adjusted correctly - meaning that the two rings should meet when fully tight, but not choke the dog.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »
I think any dog will walk much better on any type of collar/harness etc. after it has expended energy, so what do Rachel and others who prefer to train their dogs after they've burnt off some energy do before they arrive at their chosen destination.
My lot will pull to go on the walk, but walk to heel very happily on the way back. I don't see what you have enforced to make this happen. :dunno:

I want them to learn not to pull at any time - if I allow them to pull on the way, but heel on the way back, then they haven't learnt not to pull, and they are rewarded for pulling by being let off lead when I get there  ::)   

In order to ensure that their training sessions for heel work are constructive, I want them to be exercised first - so I use a harness to prevent them pulling and being rewarded for it   ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »
We use half check collars on all of our dogs.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 01:17:06 PM »

That is exactly what the trainer said to me (and for those of you think it could have been the same trainer it definately wasn't )

I wish it was quite as easy as that... someone please tell me how to make myself as interesting and irresitible to my lurchers as a running bunny, fox or squirrel... Any suggestions very welcome...  >:D :005: (And no, I am NOT going to dress up or run funny or even climb trees...  :D).
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk