Author Topic: Half check collars  (Read 8642 times)

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Re: Half check collars
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2008, 09:47:58 PM »
Even I can't compete sometimes with natural urges and instincts but i do my best.

I shall remember that when you've got a string of women chasing after you at Crufts :rofl1:  ;) :005: ph34r

:o :o :005:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Cazzie

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2008, 09:48:33 PM »
Even I can't compete sometimes with natural urges and instincts but i do my best.

I shall remember that when you've got a string of women chasing after you at Crufts :rofl1:  ;) :005: ph34r

:o :o :005:

Would be worth going just to watch that Heeeee

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2008, 10:59:11 PM »
I really don't like the half choke collars when they are used to yank a dog back for pulling (not suggesting anyone on here does this) but I have seen this done and it made me grimace.  :-\

Both the full check collar and the half-check are designed to be used through the use of a corrective "jerk", but neither should "yank" the dog; the aversive with the half-check is the noise it makes and an increased pressure (not tightening) around the neck acting to correct the dogs behaviour . 

The technique of using these collars needs to be taught properly and the handler trained to use it correctly - otherwise it can become uncomfortable or stressful for the dog  :-\

Then it has its place if taught properly though this wasn't what I saw - it looked harsh and uncomfortable for the dog.  :-\
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2008, 11:27:19 PM »
I wish it was quite as easy as that... someone please tell me how to make myself as interesting and irresitible to my lurchers as a running bunny or fox... Any suggestions very welcome...  >:D :005:

From my limited experience, and from watching others, I think it is more to do with the 'bond' between the dog and human...partly built up by the human being exciting and interesting to be round?

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2008, 08:57:51 AM »

I don't know what you mean michelle ph34r
Maybe i might go wearing a hat and dark glasses to stop being mobbed for behaviour advice round the cocker rings :005:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »

I don't know what you mean michelle ph34r
Maybe i might go wearing a hat and dark glasses to stop being mobbed for behaviour advice round the cocker rings :005:

Mark - i'm sure they would still track you down  :shades: :005:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2008, 10:02:35 PM »
now i'm worried :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :005:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
as they say

be afraid, be very afraid :005:

Cazzie

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2008, 10:21:16 PM »
I had Daisy's half check collar on today as she came with me to walk customers dogs and I had a real good look at it, I cant see anyway of that collar hurting her as the choke chainy bit is at the top and closes on itself not her  :-\

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2008, 10:28:11 PM »
Yes, that's true - but the practicalities of modern life mean that most people have to use a lead to get to an exercise area, and the old adage is "never train a wired dog, only train a tired dog". 

I want to let my dogs run and get rid of some energy so that they are in the best possible frame of mind before I train them;

Errrm sorry but why would you want to get rid of a dogs energy before you train  :-\

I would have thought that you should be able to train a dog with this high energy, as well as after it has let off some energy

Surely if you only ever train after they have let off some energy you ain't gonna be able to control / train them if and when needed when they are full of energy

I train ALL my dogs both when they are full of energy and after they have let some out - as this was the advice I got of a fantastic well known trainer (before I had cockers, and also since I have had cockers)

Wow - thats impressive  ;) I would stand absolutely no chance of training Dax at the moment when he is highly excited  :005: I admire you if you have managed to get your dogs to listen when they are full of energy - but then Dax is only a baby and he is doing fine so far  :luv: :luv: My philosophy is not to set him up to make mistakes and when he is distracted he makes mistakes  :-\ he is learning fast and I'll stick at it - lots of hard work to come but it will be well worth it  :blink:

I was interested in the comment on harnesses and conformation  :-\ having changed over from a collar to a harness I'm a bit worried that this could damage his conformation  :-\ it seems that whatever I use could result in damage when Dax pulls - working on avoiding this but it is quite difficult at times so I am going to get the bungee lead and hope this will help  :blink:
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk