Author Topic: Worried :(  (Read 2222 times)

Offline alfie1

• Site Member
  • Ellie-Grace and Alfie
Worried :(
« on: February 23, 2008, 12:02:28 PM »
last night our cocker alfie was eating his dinner, my 4 year old went to put something in the bin and as she walked past him she patted his head then touched his bowl, since having alfie we have encouraged her to help feed him, so he was ok with her touching bowl, but as she did it last night he growled at her, i went into where he was eating and went to take his bowl of him to tell him of for growling, and i thought he was going to bite me, he growled and went for my hand, why did he do this? he has never done this, im worried he is going to keep doing this :-\

he has never done this before but recently he has started nipping again please help

:D:D:D

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Re: Worried :(
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »
He isn't teething is he?  That might explain the nipping.  I am sure someone else will be along to help with the bowl problem but I really don't do things like stroke Kali or touch her bowl when she eats.  I am sure she doesn't like it any more than I would if someone patted my head or stuck their hand in my chips when I was at dinner :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »
IMO, Alfie did really well to maintain his self control, you should be proud of him and yourselves for training him so well  :D

It really isn't advisable to touch or interfere with a dog when he is eating; and when your daughter touched him, he was restrained enough not to snap or bite, but to give her a warning growl to tell her he wasn't happy with that.  Unfortunately, his warning was ignored and you went towards his bowl with the intention of taking it away, so he felt that he had no choice but to give escalate his behaviour and give you a warning snap  (if he had wanted to bite, he would have done).  Dogs are "hard wired" to protect their food source........it is reaction that they don't even think about in most cases  ;)

Rather than punish Alfie for growling, which is a dangerous thing to do and can result in a dog that bites without warning, I would begin to teach your daughter that under no circumstances should Alfie or his food be touched will he is eating....let him get on with his dinner in peace  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 12:11:25 PM »
So sorry this has happened.

I'm no expert but I, personally, wouldn't take his bowl away and tell him off for growling. I don't know Alfie's background or age so can't really comment any more but I know with my 2yr old I never enter into a confrontational situation with him and if he growls take this as a positive thing because he's warning before biting rather than just lashing out.  

If he is getting possessive over his food bowl perhaps try sitting on the floor with him with the bowl between you and put little bits of food into it at a time making him sit before you put the next piece in.

Sorry I can't be more help.

I typed this at the same time as Cob-Web
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline alfie1

• Site Member
  • Ellie-Grace and Alfie
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:17:12 PM »
thank you for the replies, think i got a fright as he has never ever growled, and like i said when i went for his bowl he snapped, im too scared to feed him tonight now incase when his dinner is done and i go for bowl he does the same, he is 10months old
Wishing Everyone A Merry Xmas And A Happy New Year!

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 12:22:12 PM »

Totally agree with the above posts, yes get your daughter to help feed him but once he has the food it is his and she shouldn't go near and neither should you, apart from if you want to add more food to the bowl, for example when Callie is eating we tell her to move verbally (never by physically movng her) and when she takes her head away from the dish and sits we add something tasty in there this means if we need to take it off her for any reason we have this command which she is quite happy to do as it means she gets yummy extras.

When feeding him tonight do it as normal, often these situations can be one offs you never know he could well be teething  or just grumpy lol. Wait until he has walked away from the bowl (a sign he is finished) and is doing something else to pick it up or if you are really worried leave the bowl until he has left the room.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:22:24 PM »
thank you for the replies, think i got a fright as he has never ever growled, and like i said when i went for his bowl he snapped, im too scared to feed him tonight now incase when his dinner is done and i go for bowl he does the same, he is 10months old

Try teaching him to sit and wait for his dinner - it is a good exercise for any dog  ;)

Pop him on a lead, or get a second paid of hands, and make him sit and wait while you put the food down and then release him to eat. When he has finished, call him away from the bowl and get him to sit and wait before you remove his bowl  ;)

Don't be scared of a growl - it is a normal part of dog communication and not an indication of aggressive dog; and cockers are more vocal than many  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline alfie1

• Site Member
  • Ellie-Grace and Alfie
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:26:18 PM »

Try teaching him to sit and wait for his dinner - it is a good exercise for any dog  ;)

Pop him on a lead, or get a second paid of hands, and make him sit and wait while you put the food down and then release him to eat. When he has finished, call him away from the bowl and get him to sit and wait before you remove his bowl  ;)

Don't be scared of a growl - it is a normal part of dog communication and not an indication of aggressive dog; and cockers are more vocal than many  ;)

wel already make him sit and wait whilst im placing his food and bowl, he does listen when being told to wait......
Wishing Everyone A Merry Xmas And A Happy New Year!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 12:28:56 PM »

wel already make him sit and wait whilst im placing his food and bowl, he does listen when being told to wait......

Excellent - it should be fairly easy to add the same routine to the end of dinner, too, so you can pick up his bowl  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 12:42:06 PM »

Agree with all of the above...once our dogs bowls are down we leave them to it...if we want to add anything to the bowls we call the dogs name  so they look up ,make them sit and put extras in...i have always done this as soon as we got them as pups..they get used to you being near them when they eat and they know there is always extra goodies to go in there bowls if you are around....
and like Cobweb they are taught to sit and wait until there bowls are down and  are given a command "go eat" before they are allowed to eat...to me its good manners  :D
i would never take there bowls from them when eating ..i think it makes the situation worse as the dog now thinks it has a reason to guard

if you are worried about taking an empty bowl away.. call him with the offer of a tasty treat..im sure he will think its a fair swop

I'm sure its just a one off and if handled the right way it will probably never happen again ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 12:25:46 AM »
I agree with everything that has been posted. Just wanted to add that when he growled at you, you need to look at it from his point of view. When you went to take his bowl away (and sounds like he was still eating) you were angry or upset with him, and even if you didn't do anything that you percieve as threatening you were giving off an angry/upset vibe that dogs can pick up on so readily, so he felt he had to act in self defense.

Don't be afraid to feed him, do as you are doing and have him sit before being served, then put down his bowl and leave him to eat in peace. If he feels he can eat in peace and no one will bother him he will not feel the need to be so defensive about his food. Don't take up the empty bowl until he shows that he has clearly lost interest in it.

And get yourself a copy of "Mine!" by Jean Donaldson (you can get it from Amazon)  ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline MurphyandHarry

• Site Member
  • I love my boys!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 10:39:19 PM »
Please try not to be scared of him. If he realizes that you are he might behave in another manner to what you have been used to. Be confident and stick to your rules. He'll appreciate this. I know it's scary, especially with your little one. ;)
K x
The injustice of this world sometimes appears unrealistic.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »
Completely agree with all the advice you have been given. It's a complete shock when this happens, I have been in a very similar situation with Billy. It's easier said than done not to be frightened, but you really need to try and  remain confident around him otherwise he'll pick up on the tension. I've walked past Billy many many times with my heart in my mouth so I know how you feel.  Try giving him lots of space whilst he is eating, he may then start to relax a little.

Your confidence has been knocked so it's only natural to feel the way you do. You will feel better in a few days  ;)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »
I don't take up Billys bowl until I'm washing up, it stays there on the floor empty. Once it's empty he has no interest in it at all.

I taught billy a "back" command, using the clicker ( Very very easy to teach) and if he is eating and i want to add something to his bowl, rather than just sticking  my hand in I say "back" , once he is a comfortable position away from his bowl , I put the food in, once my hand is out of the way I say "take it".  I'm probably 90% certain he wouldn't bite anyway , but this method is much safer and makes us both happier as there are no "missunderstandings" !

Offline Bev_M

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »
I tend not to touch hamish's bowl or touch him when he is eating. I just give him peace and space,