Author Topic: Worried :(  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Steelygirl

• Site Member
Re: Worried :(
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 09:27:58 AM »
I had this problem with Fred, and by using the advice of people on here he doesn't growl if i come near him when eating now (its very rare i do, as i tend to just leave him to it). 

Its very good advice to add 'treat' food to his bowl as he's eating so he starts to think you coming near his bowl when eating = high value food.  He's never been bothered about me going near his bowl if it hasn't got food in it.

Its a very scary thing when your puppy growls (even more so when you have kids) but like everyone else has said, it was his way of warning you of his being uncomfortable, so well done Hamish x

Start off slow and I'm sure it'll all work out OK.

Steely x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Worried :(
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 10:04:20 AM »
I totally agree with all that's been said, I really hope this doesn't sound harsh, but it really amazes me that people think dogs should be ok with people playing with their food or touching them while they're eating - if your dog walked up to your dinner plate and stuck his paw on it... you get my drift  :D

I've never had a problem with dogs and feeding. IMO it's best to be completely relaxed about it and make sure that they are left in peace once the bowl is down and you've given the 'go ahead' command. I have a small child too and when he was younger the dog was fed in a different room and now my son is 5 he's under strict instructions to leave them both well alone when they are feeding - it just avoids any potential conflict or problem and isn't hard work. My current pup (now 9 months) did show signs of being a bit worried when he had food (eating quickly and checking around him etc) but with a consistent routine and calm non-intrusive environment when he's eating he's stopped that now.

My best advice is to respect your dog's space when he's eating as you'd expect him to respect yours. He's only a pup and learning about a lot of things at the moment - his reactions/behaviour patterns just now aren't necessarily the ones he will have when he's older so try not to worry too much about the odd unexpected/new reaction, more see it from his perspective and why he might have felt worried/stressed. Let him find his feet and learn to feel comfortable and unstressed with you all - in all situations and you'll have a happy relaxed dog.

Good luck!
Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x