Author Topic: Royal Canin Urinary LP18 Prescription Food Help Please?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
Royal Canin Urinary LP18 Prescription Food Help Please?
« on: April 14, 2008, 12:42:47 PM »
Jakey was diagnosed with Struvite Crystals about 3 weeks ago and has had to go on prescription food.  As our vet sells Royal Canin he's gone onto that brand.

I fully intend putting him on homeopathic tablets to keep his urine acidity and ph stable once the crystals have been disolved but until they go he has to have prescription food.

Here's the question though - some of you may know that Jakey has behavioural issues which we've worked hard to rectify over the last 18 months.  However, since being on the Royal Canin food he's been a nightmare it's as if I'm feeding him Bakers Complete!  He's very short tempered towards us and Lenny and he's also very restless in the house.  He just seems completely OTT with his behaviour.  It's weird that a prescription food should do this to him  ::)

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
Re: Royal Canin Urinary LP18 Prescription Food Help Please?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 07:02:38 PM »
Hmmm I Was hoping someone would have some suggestions.

My vet wasn't very helpful but I'm pretty adamant it's his food.  I can't cope with him like this for 6 months  :huh:

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 07:06:16 PM »
sorry I dont know much about it.
 how about pm ing mark top barks??
 hope you get some answers soon. ;)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:42:38 PM »
I know in cats the disease itself can make them short-tempered/more aggressive (thankfully Ollie wasn't --- he's also on the high dilution food as well).

What about getting a referral to a vet who also does homeopathy as they will be more helpful (and may know of a way round this and not having to use this food --- these vets will often look at things more holisitically), especially with Jakey's troubled history. The only one I know in SE England is Jimmy in Oxford (not sure if he's still there).

I think Hills do a similar food (wet) but not sure if its whats needed

It might be worth speaking to your vet again and try to get them to look for a different food

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »
Poor Jakey  :-\

It could easily be the food imo; Bonnee gets hyper on Lamb - raw lamb, no additives at all, but she gets almost as hyper as when she is fed cheap-brand kibble; it may just be a combination of ingredients in the Royal Canin that disagrees with her   :shades:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:04:35 AM »
Thanks, it was good to get some other thoughts on this.  I shall persevere with the vet, although the veterinary nurse doesn't think much of Cockers as a breed (all Cockers are aggressive apparently  >:D ) the vet is ok.

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 01:48:52 PM »
Well, I've not really got anywhere with my own vet and have phoned a local homeopathic vet but they haven't returned my calls.

Jakey's behaviour is getting worse and worse  :'(   

By chance I was reading the Burns website and some of their food dissolves Struvite crystals and prevents stones.  I've emailed them to ask if they can help with this issue.  Hopefully I'll have more luck with their advisors.

I know some of you on here didn't find Burns a great food for your dogs but I'm thinking that whatever is in the Royal Canin (it has a huge long list of ingredients) won't be in Burns.

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
Hi Louise,

Poor you and poor Jakey. I don't know if this helps but it may be worth ringing BURNS as i found that they didn't respond to any of my emails but were incredibly helpful over the phone.
I know Roxy is completely different in personality and age to Jakey but we have had her on BURNS from about 16 weeks of age after taking her off of Eukanuba, which i found made her very hyper. I can honestly say that within a couple of days of changing i noticed a difference in her behaviour in that she was a lot calmer.

HTH . x
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »
Thanks, Claire that info is helpful. 

He's just so hyper on the Royal Canin it's making him so unhappy which in turn is making him aggressive again.

I may ring them when I get home at 4pm.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »
Hi Louise,

I don't have any knowledge on the subject unfortunately, however, when I was doing some online shopping the other day, I found one website which had a number of different supplements for Cystitis and Struvite Crystally things. My sisters cat has similar problems, so I forwarded the page to her which is why I thought of it. Here it is: http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_7&zenid=f4a35ef89207def9260960712677d27a I was wondering if you could supplement the food that he is currently on, so to avoid having to keep him on the Royal Canin? Just a thought. If you find anything on there that you think maybe suitable, I can thouroughly recommend the company as I ordered some things from there for the bunny and they arrived in no time!

Anyway, hope you find a solution soon  :blink:

- Holly -

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »
Hi Louise, so sorry I've only just seen this thread.. poor Jakey - I take it this was discovered after he had that infection?? Poor thing  :'(

I'm afraid I can't help too much other than with reference to your comment about Burns... mine are on Burns, I'm not overly sure about it but  I think most people's concerns are only that it might not be quite 'enough' for their dogs rather than it causing any other problems. So I don't think that's an issue for the situation you have with Jakey... I'm sure 6 months on something like that would be better than six months of something that's making him a bit narky - in the less is more theory!

Really hope you can get him settled it's the last thing you need right now! Thinking of you lots  :-*

Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 03:11:38 PM »
Hi Louise,

sorry to hear that the Royal Canin is not agreeing with Jakey, it must be so hard for you and Sav seeing your poor boy so miserable  :'( i would definitely give Burns a call and ask to speak to their nutrionist. I have found them extremely helpful in the past and of couse they will always send some sample packs to you, rather than having to fork out for a big bag of food, until you know, whether it agrees with him or not.
Good luck  :-*

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum