Author Topic: Puppy Programme  (Read 866 times)

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
Puppy Programme
« on: April 30, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »
Any suggestions on feeding times and quantities for a 8week old puppy......dried food, or moistened dried food, pieces chicken and fish?

4 times a day i presume is about right? working hours being 9- 5.30 and coming home at lunchtime.

I have the first few weeks off at home to get into a routine.

PLease advise. Thanks  ;)
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Puppy Programme
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:24:17 PM »
Your breeder should supply you with a detailed diet sheet with all this info and more - best to keep your pup(s) to what they are used to eating for at least the first week or so (most good breeders will give you a small supply of food to get you started).

I'm afraid I wouldn't leave any puppy alone for the working day with just a visit home at lunchtime - it's nowhere near enough attention although I realise in reality this is what many owners do. Puppies won't be house trained in a few a weeks and by having several weeks off, you're getting your pup used to your company which will then be withdrawn. You'll need to slowly build up the time your pup is left alone so it's not a case of you being there all the time for the first few weeks and then when you go back to work, it's all changed. I know you're getting two puppies but the same thing applies really & you'll need to be prepared for house training to lapse once you get back to your working routine as pups have small bladders and if there's no-one at home to let them outside, they'll just have to "go" wherever they happen to be ;)

Jane

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:42:37 PM »
I then have my mum coming home for me about 11 and then about 3 so i guess thats only 2ish hours alone time....thank go for parents.

Should i feed before work, at say 8 then 12.30 then bout 6 then about 9 ??

xx

My breeder says to get predigree chum pupy complete dried food but will give me advice and give me some of his food to ween himoff gradually. (thanks that comment just made me phone him)

xx
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »
Should i feed before work, at say 8 then 12.30 then bout 6 then about 9 ??

I usually allow 4-5 hours between puppy feeds so your timetable sounds ok except for your 6pm feed which is a bit too long after lunch & means only a 3 hour gap before supper (perhaps you could get your Mum to feed the afternoon meal a bit earlier). I also find pups are early risers and ready for breakfast before 8am, especially in the summer months when it gets light very early.
Jane

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »
When we got Elmo he came with an instruction manual from the breeder :005: on what and how much to feed him and at roughly what time. We also got a months worth of food too. She had aslo written down at what age to reduce his feeds to 3 time sa day and at what quantities. It really helped :D I used to feed at 7.30 ,11.30 ,4 and 7.30 or thereabouts. Just remember after EVERY mealtime he will need to be taken out to the toilet and every time he wakes up also.

Is your mum going to be able to keep up the twice daily visits for the long term?