Author Topic: Will only eat 1 meal a day  (Read 814 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
Will only eat 1 meal a day
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »
We put breakfast down for Baja every day, but he never eats it. He seems to only want one meal a day, this one being at 7pm when we eat dinner. Is it normal for them not to eat all day apart from training treats?

He is a good weight and very healthy and energetic, so do we need to worry?

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Will only eat 1 meal a day
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:30:10 PM »

Being a good weight, healthy and energetic is the most important thing.... we find Honey goes through a phase of not eating breakfast for a while, then will gobble it up another morning. 
 :D

How old is Baja?  There are many dogs who do have just one meal a day, and do very well on it.  Others do better with two...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 07:16:44 AM »
He is 11 months, and is fed on Purina Pro Plan for Puppies. Sometimes he does eat around lunchtime, but we dont tend to leave the food down all day or else he would only pick at it and then not eat the meal we put down at 7pm.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:29:20 AM »
As Karma have said some dogs are happy to eat once a day - but I prefer my dog having something to keep him going during the day.

We had a spate of this so to break the cycle we made the evening meal quite small, so he was hungry in the morning and ate his breakfast.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 09:27:55 AM »

I would say you need to decide whether you want him to eat twice a day - if so Livercake's advice is the way to go.  Or if you are happy with him only eating once a day - if you don't like the idea of him having nothing, you could put some kibble in a treat ball in the morning, so he can eat from that if he's hungry, without spoiling the routine of meals being at set times.
 :D

But I wouldn't worry - Baja obviously just isn't hungry in the morning at the minute!!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020