Author Topic: Worried about possible new situation  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
Worried about possible new situation
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »
As some of you may have read im possibly (hopefully) going to be having a new job soon. The hours are 3.30 til 7 monday to friday and every saturday morning. Elmo has always come to work with me since he was 9 weeks old and im worried about leaving him for this time when hes not been used to it. He will happily be left on his own occassionally for 3/4 hours max if we have a night out and has never destroyed anything and is always relaxed when we get back but its a big difference once in a  blue moon to everyday. I know ill have to build it up by leaving him alone every day for shorter periods first and i could call upon my neighbour to dog sit (they love him to peices and often dog sit) and theres the option of a dog walker aswell. I know 3 1/2 hours isnt nearly as long as some dogs are left but hes just not used to it and i feel sick already at the thought and i havent even got the job yet ::) He would get as much exercise as possible during the day to tier him out for being left and initially OH would be home around 6.30pm.

So my questions are (if your not all asleep yet) how do i go about building up the time hes left alone?
Is it ok for him to be left (once hes ok with it) to be left 3 1/2 hours 5 days a week or do i get a dog walker in/neighbour in?
Am i worrying un-nesseccarily?

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
Re: Worried about possible new situation
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »
i think once he settles into the routine hell be fine, its not that long for him to be left alone really, it can be like a little time out time for him, give him something yummy to munch on when you go and im sure hell get used to it and be fine, just get your neighbour to keep an ear out for him at the start x
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 03:40:33 PM »
the amount of time that you are proposing to leave elmo each week is pretty much exactly what we do with barkley and he really does seem to be fine. he's 2 1/2 now and more often than not, once we're back and have let him out of the kitchen, he simply moves to the sofa and goes back to sleep. :)

as long as he's had a good walk beforehand, i'm sure elmo will be fine. i'd build it up by getting him used to being along in the part of the day when he will be left once you start your new job. barkley gets left from 3:00 until 6:30 every weekday afternoon during term-time. in the school holidays, when i'm not teaching as much, after his afternoon walk, he'll go and sit on his bed in the kitchen and look at me as if saying 'well, are you going then?' he's pleased when i don't but i really don't think that being left has done him any harm. it just means he's a bit more lively in the evening because he's had a really good sleep in the afternoon. :)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »
Mine are left 4 - 5 hours 4 days a week, they are in a safe area with their beds, crates and the radio on and are fine. I've crept in early before now and could of nicked the TV and half the furniture without waking them  :shades:

You have time to give them a good walk before you go to work, mine don't get walked till I get home. If it's hot in the house, maybe the dog walker or neighbour could pop round and let him out for 1/2 hour whilst you are out.

Build it up and hopefully Elmo will be non the wiser.  I honestly think the more we fuss about these things the more neurotic the dog can be.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:43:28 PM »
I'm sure he'll be fine. Jarvis wasn't used to being left on a regular basis, but once it was just me looking after him he had no choice, and gets left for 3/4 hours a few times a week, and if absolutely fine with it. ;)

Good luck with the job btw. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »
Our dogs are pretty good at "fitting in" - as I work in a school, during term time they are used to me coming home at lunch time (although I make a point of always varying the time so they don't get used to a specific time in case something holds me up, and I am later!) but in school holidays I am with them a lot more.

Also my son gets home from school at 3.15 - 3.30 and during university holidays my older son is here all day (even though he might not actually drag himself out of his room until lunchtime!  :005: :005:)

They seem quite happy whether it is school holidays or term time, and even after the long summer break, soon settle back into the term time routines.

Best of luck
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 06:31:37 PM »
I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine for those hours, it will give him a nice break and a chance for a good snooze before hassling you all evening  :005:

I work 3-4 days a week about 4 hours away from home at the moment but it's only practical to take one dog with me so mine take it in turns to come and the other sleeps at home and the one with me sleeps where I am... He'll get used to it very quickly  :D Dogs adapt to change very easily in my experience and your working hours are very reasonable compared to those some dogs cope with.

Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
Lisa I think you will find Elmo will soon adapt and being left for 3 1/2 hours Mon - friday is fine  :D (obvviously depending on the dog, but sounds to me like Elmo will be ok as you leave him occassionally now for nights out. Just ease him in slowly if you can  ;) )

Good luck I hope you get the job and everything works out for you  :D

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 01:41:58 AM »
I would start now by building up the time gradually, he will soon get used to it. Mine are left for approx 4 hours a few times a week with no problems, try not to worry he will adjust  ;)

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »
When I changed my hours, the dogs adjusted better than me  :005:

Now, if i am off, they still want out to bed with the chews and toys, and give me a look that says - Oh for goodness sake woman, i'm normally on the sofa with a frappacino watching Steve Wilkos at this time!  ::)
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x