Author Topic: underweight?  (Read 2602 times)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
underweight?
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:12:52 AM »
sam had his booster on firday and he has lost weight. i have no idea why as he eats like a pig constantly ::) he's 9.8kg now. the vet would like him to be around the 11.5 kg mark.

he's fed on burns and she said to increase his food by about 15% and see. he's going to be weighed in 3 months. i was thinking if i fed him his 100g of burns plus a quarter of burns moist food. the pack recommends 70g plus 1/4 of a tin. what do you think?

apart from that he was in tip top condition and she said he has the most fantastic temperament :luv: :luv:

plus she didn't try to sell me hills!!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: underweight?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:09:49 AM »
Jarv was underweight on Burns (and disliked it as well) - some dog's don't thrive on it, I remember Nic's Alfie being the same. 

I changed to Arden Grange, fed a normal amount and not only did he really like it, his coat got better and he   maintained a decent weight.

If you feed over a recommended amount your dog may suffer from diarrhea and you will find in general they poo a lot more - getting rid of the stuff they don't need and can't digest.

helen & jarvis x

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:24:47 AM »
well that did cross my mind :-\  think i may give arden grange a go then. as he has always eaten his food no problems and eats plenty maybe burns isn't for him.

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 10:52:59 AM »
The weight issue that loads of people have found with burns is what put me off trying it as one of mine was already a little scrawny.So i decided to go with the arden grange.My scrawny one has filled out on it too which is a bonus.Someone is selling ag on ebay and its loads cheaper than in the shops.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »
I find Smudge is sometimes hungry on Burns altho he loves the flavour and his poos are firmer, so i just give him a bit more than the recommended amount and he is fine on it, but it would not suit all.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:16:23 PM »

i thought i'd use the rest of what i had, OMG he has been doing the smelliest farts ever with the extra amounts. got in from work, the smell, i searched and searched for a poo!!no just a really smelly bum :P

will be buying arden grange tomorrow :005:

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:36:03 PM »
Bella's last weigh in was 10kg, we have since been concerned that she looks underweight - you can see her ribs. she's now currently getting 80g dry + 120g wet (burns - over two meals), going for another weigh tomorrow so will see, but we're also thinking of changing.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:49:25 PM »
I found the same with Burns it doesn't seem to put enough body on pups. :-\
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »

it's really strange isn't it - how some thrive on it and some don't  :-\

helen & jarvis x

Cazzie

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 10:15:32 PM »

Dont rate the mini bites at all  :-\ I think burns (going on experience) is better suited to dogs that are proned to weight gain. It is a super food. However Sweepie did gain weight and ended up in superb condition on Burns High energy lamb but we couldnt get past that hurdle of putting on slightly more  :-\

I have changed her to Arden Grange and she has put more on but she's gone off it  >:(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 10:38:03 PM »

Dont rate the mini bites at all  :-\ I think burns (going on experience) is better suited to dogs that are proned to weight gain. It is a super food. However Sweepie did gain weight and ended up in superb condition on Burns High energy lamb but we couldnt get past that hurdle of putting on slightly more  :-\

I have changed her to Arden Grange and she has put more on but she's gone off it  >:(

have you tried Sweepie on Arden Grange Performance?  Jarv is mostly BARF but Performance is probably the only AG he really likes  ::)
helen & jarvis x

Cazzie

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 10:39:55 PM »

have you tried Sweepie on Arden Grange Performance?  Jarv is mostly BARF but Performance is probably the only AG he really likes  ::)

No but Ill order it on  :shades: Thanks  :blink:

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 10:43:41 PM »
Jarv was underweight on Burns (and disliked it as well) - some dog's don't thrive on it, I remember Nic's Alfie being the same. 

I changed to Arden Grange, fed a normal amount and not only did he really like it, his coat got better and he   maintained a decent weight.

If you feed over a recommended amount your dog may suffer from diarrhea and you will find in general they poo a lot more - getting rid of the stuff they don't need and can't digest.

I was going to say this too.

And I was going to ponder the benefits of eating Burns myself...would it work for me, do you think? :005:

Hope you can get some weight on him. You could try tripe too. (sorry, it's late - I haven't read the whole thread. Someone may have suggested that already)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 11:14:32 PM »
Do you think maybe the reason Burns does not put weight on dogs is that it is not designed to? It is made to a vet's recipe (John Burns) and vets are rather like human doctors in that they do not like (excess) weight on dogs/people.

From what I have read on other threads, if you fed the recommended amount on most dried food, a lot of dogs would be overweight, but this does not seem to be the case with Burns, rather it seems you need to feed more - just an observation :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 11:16:16 PM »
We were recommended using Burns to get the weight off Jasper, he's lost a kg in a couple of weeks, possibly because he doesn't like it much either.

I'd take a look at what you can get easily locally too - at the moment I'm trying Robbies but only one store sells it, otherwise two have been on Arden Grange and one on Burns, can't find a supplier of both so end up running around just to get their feed  >:(

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie