Author Topic: jealously.......leading to aggression  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: jealously.......leading to aggression
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
Bark busters visited an old neighbour of ours with a very vocal german sheppard. Their advice was to throw nappy bags full of water at the dog every time it barked! 6 years later and when i walk passed to the stables, low and behold that dog is still barking at thin air!

says it all really  ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline dexter and dillon's mum

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 10:48:25 PM »
ha ha ha....thats so funny......!!!

I can just see me lining up nappy bags of water ready to chuck one at Dillon......oh dear.....i can just imagine what he would be thinking.....

"but mum, why did you do that.....you pick up my poo's with those bags?.....urgggghhhh.....gross!"
Amy - Dexter and Dillons Mummy

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »
Billys behaviourist warned me about ba*k busters a while back. Here is what her e mail to me said when I asked her if she dealt with many of their ex clients problems...

So many you would not believe. They are usually Cockers or Retrievers displaying aggression. Their advice is so appalling the dogs are often traumatised and little can be done by the time I see them. It usually involves repeatedly throwing choke chains at the dog because naturally the problem revolves around dominance!

A few years ago it used to be £175 and £15 for each additional pet; be it cat bird or rabbit and plus mileage as well. They 'guaranteed' to resolve the problem on the first visit, but they promised you a lifetime guarantee anyway. If they fixed the problem first time, why would you need a lifetime guarantee?

Apparently, it's now £200 plus mileage for a 12 month guarantee. Its £500 plus if you want the lifetime guarantee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am dealing with a lady now that opted for the cheaper option. Each time she 'phoned they said keep following the plan and ring again in a month. Needless to say they strung it out for 12 months and said she would have to pay again if she wanted them back.

She has a gorgeous XXXXX who was barking at other dogs because he was nervous. Now he barks at anything and has been aggressive to the owner as well. When I called two weeks ago everywhere you looked there was metal dishes containing a choke chain. She was told that it was all down to dominance and everytime he did something she did not want she had to launch a choke chain in his direction, hitting the dish (and sometimes him) so as to make more noise. She also had to shout but in a very deep voice. When they took the dog outside the home he was bombarded with water filled bags if he barked.

That is about the sum total of their advice, the dog is worse and the owner is a nervous wreck. Amassing as it seems this dog has not thankfully flipped as many do so I have great hopes but the owner has an awful lot of work to do. Plus the fact she feels so guilty at what she has put her dog through so she is working hard to rebuild their relationship. She is a lovely lady and my heart goes out to her and the dog of course. Apart from the breed, this case is typical of what they do.

Oh I didn't mention. It was originally an Australian company that expand over here as a franchise, business opportunity! You pay them a franchise fee, go on a short course and then you are a 'proper behaiourist' with a company vehicle! Sadly, owners don't check up on qualifications, experience or if someone belongs to a recognised body. Its like everything, its 'buyer beware' I'm afraid. They don't have to disclose its up to you to find out.

So if it were me I'd steer well clear!!!

Offline dexter and dillon's mum

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 11:26:37 PM »
hmmmmmm....point taken....ok, i will not be returning their call!!!

thanks for the advice!
Amy - Dexter and Dillons Mummy

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 12:10:34 AM »
Hello,

I take my ten month old black lab to the karma school of dog training, they are linked to the spirit of the dog charity.

As we pick our cocker up on friday we asked for advice on how to integrate them with as little risk of fights as possible.

the advice was as follows, it might help.

The oldest dog must be the boss, they get fed first, let into the house first, treated first, sleep closest to you etc.

So the pack order is humans then dogs/animals in order of age.

When we got Harvey, he was a typical boistrous lab that yanked us all over the park. We had to stop allowing him onto the furniture, feed him after we had finish eating (preferable after exercise also) and always make sure he entered the house/room after us. Now he is a much calmer dog that walks behind and follows instructions. (well most of the time anyhoo) ;)

Don't know if this helps as all, but it might be a place to start.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 12:31:27 AM »
The oldest dog must be the boss,

Even though this statment is for another thread really I have to say that sometimes you may find its best not to force the issue though as you may fail miserably, as dogs are dogs and will sort these things out for themselves (more often than not amicably). When it comes to introducing a new dog is to treat them both equally in the sense of not preferring one over the other (even though you may be training separately at times).

I have had some bitches come in to the house and my two sometimes defer to them even if they are older than the newcomer (even though my eldest is a girl and the other male) and its all quite amicable with the odd bit of noise in disagreement but no fighting.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 07:42:41 AM »
Hello,

I take my ten month old black lab to the karma school of dog training, they are linked to the spirit of the dog charity.

As we pick our cocker up on friday we asked for advice on how to integrate them with as little risk of fights as possible.

the advice was as follows, it might help.

The oldest dog must be the boss, they get fed first, let into the house first, treated first, sleep closest to you etc.

So the pack order is humans then dogs/animals in order of age.

When we got Harvey, he was a typical boistrous lab that yanked us all over the park. We had to stop allowing him onto the furniture, feed him after we had finish eating (preferable after exercise also) and always make sure he entered the house/room after us. Now he is a much calmer dog that walks behind and follows instructions. (well most of the time anyhoo) ;)

Don't know if this helps as all, but it might be a place to start.

that sounds like a take on the 'dominance', alpha dog, wolf pack theory  ;)
helen & jarvis x