Author Topic: BARF question (sorry!) - cutting up bones?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
  • Merry has a hoard of stolen treasure in his bed!
BARF question (sorry!) - cutting up bones?
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »
Hi all,
Oohh so many questions, so little time....  ;)

Just a quick (honest!) BARF-related question: does anybody else cut up bones such as chicken wings etc. for their dog or am I the only cocker slave on here?!  :005:

When I first switched to BARF I cut up the chicken wings as Merry was only small and I didn't want him to get anything stuck. Merry is 9 months now and I still do this. Does everybody else or do you give yours whole?
I find if the chunk of meat is too big for one mouthful Merry goes and tries to bury it in the garden (only to dig it up days later all stinking and maggoty and presumably easier to chew then. I'm never sure if they might cause him problems in this state so always err on the side of caution and put them in the bin). I'm wondering if I am doing the right thing though and if this is contributing to his fussiness (see other post). Am also wondering if this might be depriving him of proper chewing of bones for cleaning teeth etc.

What does everybody else think?
Emma and Merry the Pirate x

Offline screamingswifts

• Limited Member
  • Fargo the Scruff Butt
Re: BARF question (sorry!) - cutting up bones?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:05:45 PM »
just replied to your other post  ;)

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »
I give things whole. Gives the teeth more of workout!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »
I give them whole as well so they get the benefit of chomping it up and cleaning their teeth.  :shades:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »
I give them whole - it is good for them to chomp them up.  Great for teeth and jaws.  :D  If you like you can bash them with a rolling pin first so the bones are not so big but Merry will have to chew it up before swallowing.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
Whole ones here too.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »
Thanks guys. Seems like Merry has me well trained hey?!   ph34r

I've just taken a big chunk of oxtail out of the freezer to try Merry with tomorrow which he will have in the kitchen so as to minimise risk of burying  ;)

Will also try giving him his wings whole too and see how he goes.

Will keep you posted...  :D

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »
I cut them up for small pups and mix them with meat dishes,then try to offer whole ones after a meal. I have one girl whose a real pig and I may be cutting hers up for a lot longer. I have to hold onto the end of any bones to stop her trying to swallow them whole. :D
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:58:53 PM »
I cut them up for small pups and mix them with meat dishes,then try to offer whole ones after a meal. I have one girl whose a real pig and I may be cutting hers up for a lot longer. I have to hold onto the end of any bones to stop her trying to swallow them whole. :D

Oooh is this your new girl? Can we have some more piccies when you have time please?
She looked liked a minx from her earlier pics  :luv:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:53:34 PM »

Honey gets hers in one piece - and has done since she was about 14 weeks (when we gave her her first one!).

From reading your posts here and on BritBarf, I do think Merry has got you very well trained....  ;)
I have a lot of sympathy - Honey has recently started a bit of "playing" with her food - we are just taking a (reasonably) firm line with it - we don't let her outside with her food, so she can't bury it, and we restrict her to one room, so she can't drag it around the house.  If she wants to stop eating we then pick it up - we do offer her it again later, but it is always the same meal.  If she still doesn't eat it she gets it again as the next meal.  As it is raw, we can't carry it over further than that, but she doesn't get given alternatives if she hasn't eaten.

The only thing we are struggling to get her to eat is liver, but if it is something we know she eats, then she can get on and eat it, or do without!

I do think teeth and age may be having an impact - Merry's appetite is probably changing as he changes from growth spurt to a slowing of growth - I know Honey's appetite has decreased recently, but it also decreased a couple of months ago....  ;)

I would feed a basic variety of BARF meals you know he eats, and stick to your guns.  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Matthelen

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »
My OH is really against feeding them whole chicken wings, I have had a real battle to get him to agree to BARF so as a compromise I bash each bone in half within the skin then chop the wings into its 3 sections.  They still have a good chomp.  ;) ;)  Sometimes when I don't chop them up I find they get a little constipated.  Also we regularly give them lamb bones to help with the cleaning of the teeth.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »
My OH is really against feeding them whole chicken wings, I have had a real battle to get him to agree to BARF so as a compromise I bash each bone in half within the skin then chop the wings into its 3 sections.  They still have a good chomp.  ;) ;)  Sometimes when I don't chop them up I find they get a little constipated.  Also we regularly give them lamb bones to help with the cleaning of the teeth.

Curious to know what objection your OH has to chicken wings and why they are OK chopped up but not whole??  :huh:  It is the chomping up of the bones, skin on them that does the dogs good  :D  Most dogs seem to be able to cope with a whole chicken wing no probs  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
I'd certainly prefer Merry to eat things like chicken wings whole as I believe it would be much better for cleaning his teeth and giving his muscles a good workout.

Slightly straying from the original topic - you might have seen from my other post that I've just switched Merry over to arden grange for a bit to stabilise his eating which, touch wood, seems to be working at the moment. I'd like to still give him raw bits here and there though, such as the wings for his teeth etc. Would it be ok to give him the occasional wing and if so, when's best to do it? Am just thinking that I'm sure I've read that raw and kibble shouldn't be mixed  :huh:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 01:36:41 PM »

Maybe just replace a couple of meals a week with chicken wings, so he is getting the nutrients from his kibble meals, but the teeth cleaning from the wings - but I would hold off for a while yet, otherwise he might revert to his fussy ways!!  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline merrysmum

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 01:50:02 PM »
Yes think you're definitely right Karma - not going to give the little monkey any excuses!  ;)

Typically - I'd just stocked up the freezer the day before I decided enough was enough and got him the kibble instead  ::)