Author Topic: I need to compare notes on suitable food please - help needed  (Read 3621 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: I need to compare notes on suitable food please - help needed
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »
William started to get chubby on Arden Grange. He gets lots of exercise off lead and does agility, but when he's at home he's very laid back and relaxed. He's also castrated, which probably doesn't help when it comes to weight and he's show bred so doesn't have the strong work drive that many workers have (yes, I know that's a bit of a generalisation).

So, we changed him to Burns recently. He seems to like it and he's regaining his waist! I think it may turn out to be the right food for him as I can give him that and some treats as well. But I can see why it might not be the right food for an active puppy that's still growing.

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 07:26:30 PM »
Hi: I had a look at Arden Grange and it is definitely a good food but have decided to go for Royal Canin whilst he is still growing as it has a higher protein content and no artificial additives.  Its also made by the same company as James Wellbeloved.   :blink: I've introduced the Junior food tonight and he woofed it down (I mixed it with the Burns so I can introduce it gradually).  I'll see how he gets on with this over the next few weeks/months.  I appreciate all your advice folks - I haven't ruled AG out for the future if I think he is looking too portly but I can't see me returning to Burns.  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline chudleigh

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 09:52:29 PM »
Could someone please suggest which Arden grange food I should try for Betty please.  She is just 6 yrs old at a nice weight, has just been spayed and has long walks but not exactly dashing around all day !!!  Would the prestrige be too rich for her ? I am looking for a
food to keep her fit and healthy and to help with her coat if it starts to deteriate after being spayed.
she has Pro Plan at the moment but does have bad dog breath and Im hoping a change of food helps !! She had her teeth cleaned when spayed recently so Im thinking her breath is the food.
Many thanks
huigs and woofs
Val and Betty x
today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »
Yes I'd say the Prestige would be too much for a spayed 6 year old as it's higher in protein and fat than the adult maintenance versions. You could try the Adult Lamb & Rice - this suits most of our dogs except the very active youngsters.
Jane

Offline chudleigh

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »
THank you Jane
Hugs and woofs
Val and Betty x
today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well

Offline KatieJean

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 10:16:22 PM »
Hi: I had a look at Arden Grange and it is definitely a good food but have decided to go for Royal Canin whilst he is still growing as it has a higher protein content and no artificial additives.  Its also made by the same company as James Wellbeloved.   :blink: I've introduced the Junior food tonight and he woofed it down (I mixed it with the Burns so I can introduce it gradually).  I'll see how he gets on with this over the next few weeks/months.  I appreciate all your advice folks - I haven't ruled AG out for the future if I think he is looking too portly but I can't see me returning to Burns.  ;)

Just thought I'd mention that at training classes we have a springer who is very hyper. I know springers can be anyway but the trainer has tried everything with the owner and it turns out the pup is fed on a food that is 32% protein and they think this may be the reason. They said below 30% is better as Arden Grange puppy is 29%  thought you might like to be aware

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 10:41:44 PM »

Just thought I'd mention that at training classes we have a springer who is very hyper. I know springers can be anyway but the trainer has tried everything with the owner and it turns out the pup is fed on a food that is 32% protein and they think this may be the reason. They said below 30% is better as Arden Grange puppy is 29%  thought you might like to be aware

usually depends on what type of protein they are getting....plus springers are nuts anyway, like our cockers  :lol2: not something that would put me off a food unless I had a very hyper dog. BARF diets are extremely high in protein yet hyperactive dogs often do far better on it than most commerical foods.... Just depends on what suits each individual.

RC is a good choice Ludo, hope it works well for you

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 11:20:38 PM »

Just thought I'd mention that at training classes we have a springer who is very hyper. I know springers can be anyway but the trainer has tried everything with the owner and it turns out the pup is fed on a food that is 32% protein and they think this may be the reason. They said below 30% is better as Arden Grange puppy is 29%  thought you might like to be aware

usually depends on what type of protein they are getting....plus springers are nuts anyway, like our cockers  :lol2: not something that would put me off a food unless I had a very hyper dog. BARF diets are extremely high in protein yet hyperactive dogs often do far better on it than most commerical foods.... Just depends on what suits each individual.

RC is a good choice Ludo, hope it works well for you

Thank you .. I did think about the hyper side but I am satisfied the protein is very good quality protein (chicken and pork) the protein is passed as fit for human consumption so they don't put any old rubbish in there  ;)- I've had a really good look at the ingredients and they are excellent.  All the trace minerals omega oils vitamins and extras like lutein are in the food plus many other good ingredients.

Dax was hyper on Eukanuba to the extent he was on the ceiling and could not concentrate on anything - he was like a flea in a fit  :lol:- which is why I went for Burns and that calmed him down a lot :blink: He will always be a very, very lively and verrrrry friendly little dog (though biddable) as that is his personality but I will soon be able to spot it if the food doesn't suit him  ;) I think he should be ok on RC having read all the bumf ...  he certainly seems more content tonight having eaten it ... the pigs trotter is still sat there unchewed  ::) which is unheard of!  Many thanks for your suggestions and advice ... very helpful as always  :blink: 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 02:13:12 AM »
If you speak to the Burns people they may have some ideas for you --- I had the same problem with Wilf and they were very helpful (he's now on a different brand but that's because of my own credit crunch really and nothing to do with Burns)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »
If you speak to the Burns people they may have some ideas for you --- I had the same problem with Wilf and they were very helpful (he's now on a different brand but that's because of my own credit crunch really and nothing to do with Burns)
Hi Penny - I did try that a while ago when I made the switch and they were very helpful ... but I feel I have made the right decision for Dax - he is enjoying the new food a great deal and seems fine so far  ;)