Author Topic: Clicker training.......Does this work for barking???  (Read 7546 times)

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Clicker training.......Does this work for barking???
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »
This is my question.....Does clicker training work with barking dogs??

I short time ago i asked for advice after receiving a noise complaint from my local council.  Things are alot lot better but i would still like to try and get better control of the doglets when they start to bark and was wondering if using a clicker would help.  If yes please could anyone describe the best process to use.

Thanks in advance :D
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Clicker training.......Does this work for barking???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
I'm watching this thread with interest as a friend is having 'barking issues' with her dog too. I would have thought you could teach 'be quiet' with clicker training, but I'm sure people who clicker train will offer advice soon.
Keep posting how you get on  :D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 09:01:16 PM »

I short time ago i asked for advice after receiving a noise complaint from my local council.  Things are alot lot better but i would still like to try and get better control of the doglets when they start to bark and was wondering if using a clicker would help.  If yes please could anyone describe the best process to use.

In what situation does your dog bark?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Tori

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 09:05:39 PM »

In what situation does your dog bark?

The 'usual' i guess, knock at front door, noises in the garden, when they get over excited (ie when i've only thought about walking them :lol2:)

Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 09:13:18 PM »
Then the clicker could be used as an aid to teaching your dog a different response.

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 09:20:41 PM »
Would that be a case of waiting for them to quiet and then click and treat, introducing the word? Or would you distract them and teach them to respond by doing something you have taught them? We are just starting with clicker training, and I would be interested to know as mine are set off barking occasionally by neighbourhood dogs  ::)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »
Would that be a case of waiting for them to quiet and then click and treat, introducing the word? Or would you distract them and teach them to respond by doing something you have taught them? We are just starting with clicker training, and I would be interested to know as mine are set off barking occasionally by neighbourhood dogs  ::)

With clicker training you get what you click so if you click and reinforce quiet calm behaviour then eventually that is what you will get.
Of course when dogs bark they are very stimulated in one way or another so you may also need to take steps to lower the dogs arousal to get the quiet behaviour in the first place.
When the dog does quiet and looks to do something else other than bark when in sight or earshot of the stimulus that caused the barking in the first place with regularity then it is time to add a cue word.
One way to teach quiet is to first teach your dog to bark on cue which makes it easier to set up the chance to get the dog to be quiet.
Hope this makes sense.
Mark

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
Makes perfect sense  ;)  I just have to make sure I get the timing right  :005:

I have wanted to teach them to bark/talk but I am a bit scared that I wont be able to get them to stop  ph34r  Do I take it that you teach bark in the same way as quiet? Wait til they bark then click and treat saying "bark/speak", then hope they stop  :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 09:35:47 PM »
Bonnee used to bark when she heard certain triggers; like the noise of another dog barking when she was in the garden  ::)  Like Mark has said, we taught her to respond differently to these triggers rather than bark - so now when she hears a dog barking in the neighbourhood, she runs indoors  :005:

We didn't use a clicker for this, but we could have done.....we used a verbal command and a reward instead   ;)  It meant that we had to be with her all the time in the garden, so that the training was consistent. First of all we watched her, to work out exactly what it was that triggered her barking. Then we could intervene at the right time, so every time we heard the trigger, we went straight indoors, asking her to come with us, and rewarded her for doing so. It took a few months, but now she is pretty good and will bound inside when she hears a dog barking in the neighbourhood  :lol2:

In contrast, both dogs bark wildly every time they hear the noise of a metal ladder clattering  ::)  I know that I will never be able to solve this problem unless I cancel our window cleaner  ph34r My dogs associate the noise of the ladder with the face of a stranger at the window,  and they bark whenever they hear it. I'm at work when the window cleaner comes so I can't redirect the dogs behaviour  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »
I'm actually doing this with the Muppeteers at the moment - we've had lots of new dogs move into the neighbourhood so the barking has escalated on all fronts.

I'm happy for them to bark when the door knocker goes as half the time this is the only way I know someone's there as it's not audible from the back of the house, so for me it's really the barking in the back garden that I want to kerb (at cats, birds and other dogs barking).

What I've been doing is keeping a little saucer of treats on the worktop by the backdoor, along with the clicker. Their thing used to be when you open the door first thing in the morning (6.40am) they'd go haring out screeching and barking their heads off. So I've been showing them that I have a treat, and the moment I open the door (before they've had a chance to do the screeching) I click (which gets them to turn around immediately) and treat (so I'm hoping that I'm therefore clicking for them being quiet, even if it's only the split second before they were about to start).

It does seem to be working - Bella definitely has it as she is now getting in the habit of stepping out the back door but turning around straight away to wait for her treat (and no barking). So I click and treat (or sometimes just praise & treat). By the time she's eaten that she's forgotten about the barking, and Zorro (less food motivated) doesn't tend to do it so much without her backup.

Yesterday I had proof that they are getting the hang of it (and I've found that me being really calm makes a huge difference). Some neighbourhood dogs had started (and you quickly end up with 4 lots of dogs all trying to outbark each other) and my two before I could stop them went charging through the house to get to the garden and join in. Zorro was already screeching but before they reached the back door, I just recalled them and you should've heard the clattering of little claws on the floorboards - 180 degree turn just at the back door threshold and they were back with me in a split second waiting for instructions (which were to sit and then get a treat).

So it seems to be working for me - tbh I think they are currently barking less than ever. We're also tackling the "barking at the tv" issue - not with a clicker but using the "leave" command (which is having varying success depending on what it is that's set them off, so we should probably clicker this as well).

Basically I'm using the theory that if I click before the behaviour starts then that's a way of teaching them that they don't have to go down the barking route. It's a bit like when I clickered Bella into not going ballistic at other dogs when she was onlead, i.e. let her see them for a split second but then call her name and click and treat for her looking at me rather than going ballistic.  I think one of the crucial things is to click before the unwanted behaviour starts, so you're clicking for them being quiet.

Hope this helps.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Tori

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 09:53:07 PM »
Thank you guys this is just the advice/guidence i was hoping for :D

Mark yours words made perfect sense.

Rachel my lovely....as you already know i have been trying what you suggested.....has made an improvement but i need to be able to phase out the amount of treats they're getting esp with laney's back probs hence the clicker thought.

Claire, hearing you basically doing what Mark has advised has instilled me with even more confidence that this will work in the long term.

THANK YOU ALL  :luv:
Tori & Co x

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 09:54:51 PM »
Thanks Claire and Mark, will try that. Tbh I am lucky and mine arent too barky.  I dont mind them barking if someone comes to the house as they will stop when they are in/have gone.  They dont bark too much outside either really as I am mega paranoid about it and I just call them in so they stop.  I have found that Jagger barks at agility training though  ::) and so I wanted to be able to teach him quiet if I could, but if not it isnt a major issue.  He does love the clicker though, he has nearly got the hang of roll over in less than 4 x 5 min sessions (loosely lured that is  :005:)  so I will keep an eye on this and try "quiet" with the clicker.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »

Rachel my lovely....as you already know i have been trying what you suggested.....has made an improvement but i need to be able to phase out the amount of treats they're getting esp with laney's back probs hence the clicker thought.

Claire, hearing you basically doing what Mark has advised has instilled me with even more confidence that this will work in the long term.

Tori - glad to hear things are improving; you could try using Laneys daily food allowance if she needs to stay slim  :D Bonnee is being treated to boot camp for a couple of weeks and is only being fed if she works for it (we are having a few one-to-one sessions, too  ;)) - it is amazing how motivated dogs become when you are their only source of food  :005:

I have found that Jagger barks at agility training though  ::)

Mine too  :lol2: :lol2: I don't interfere with this too much, though - there are some stimuli that I just can't compete with, and the excitement of agility is one of them  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 10:08:03 PM »

I have found that Jagger barks at agility training though  ::)

Mine too  :lol2: :lol2: I don't interfere with this too much, though - there are some stimuli that I just can't compete with, and the excitement of agility is one of them  :005:

Ah you might just be right there, I guess I will get used to it as we have only been twice so it was a bit of a shock  :005: as he is usually quiet unless he thinks there is a need like noises/people outside  ::)

Offline Tori

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »

Tori - glad to hear things are improving; you could try using Laneys daily food allowance if she needs to stay slim  :D Bonnee is being treated to boot camp for a couple of weeks and is only being fed if she works for it (we are having a few one-to-one sessions, too  ;)) - it is amazing how motivated dogs become when you are their only source of food  :005:

I am to a point she's on minimum rations already as she's on a urinary diet for her crystals so its high fat instead of high protein >:( as she puts on weight really easy.....she's luckyif she gets a dozen kibbles at a time at the moment and there is nooo way she would let me fed the others and not her ph34r
Tori & Co x