Author Topic: Help to STOP chasing!  (Read 1045 times)

Offline RisbyFynn

• Site Member
Help to STOP chasing!
« on: August 13, 2008, 07:44:57 PM »
Please someone help us.  When Fynn is off lead he will usually recall.  We have gone back to the long line if I think he's not doing well and then after a week of this he's then back to a good recall.  HOWEVER, if he see's a football or bird he forgets all about me.  There was an incident chasing birds on weekend and today my FIL took him out and he chased sheep, despite being told his different commands.  When FIL found him (due to bark) the sheep were perched on the edge of a river bank (frightened) and he wouldn't come back, thankfully he didn't hurt them physically, just wanted the chase.

He knows the leave command, but will not do it at these 'obsessive' times. I don't know anything apart from keeping him the lead, but don't want to have to do this in fields etc where he can have a free run.  But I know if he spots a bird he will chase and chase.  I'm concerned he's going to get hurt/killed/or harm someone else.  The little swine is 1 on Friday.

Thanks in advance, Lou

Offline Nuffi

• Site Member
Re: Help to STOP chasing!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:33:27 PM »
The bad news is that you really have to always keep him on the long line  :-\  ...and I mean for maybe months or even longer. Every time you let him off and he gets self-rewarded by chasing again, all prior training goes down the drain. Get a really long one, 50 feet or so. You can let it trail so he has just as much freedom to run around to his heart's content except that when you see birds/rabbits/sheep or whatever it is, pick it up and practice the recall. He will also learn to stay within an acceptable distance from you.

I know it's frustrating but I think it's a very humane and effective way of preventing these chasing situations which can be dangerous for all involved, and distressing for you.

Jerry was super difficult at that age (around his first birthday) and tbh, I still keep the long line on in some areas with a lot of wildlife. He is three now. I'll never forget one situation in which he was off to chase a hare and a truck was barreling down at the other side of the field on a rarely traveled country road. The hare barely managed to cross the street safely. I know Jerry would have been run over -- if it hadn't been for the long line. That's what I remind myself of every time I get tangled up in that dirty long line, it gets wrapped around a tree or whatever else. It's great for training and even better for preventing. Just keep it up and it will pay off in the end  ;)

Veronika, with Jerry & Bonnie

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:41:53 PM »
I agree with Nuffi. Going back to basics firstly in the house, then garden, then the great outdoors (in safe areas) and slowly progressto areas with distractions. Lots of patience required! So glad my lot have good recall but I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt with my last lurcher....

Starting recall from scratch with new foster which should be interesting as he goes bananas if a bird flies within 50 feet of him!  :lol2:

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 09:13:55 PM »
Agree with Joanne and Nuffi. If you keep doing the long line for short periods he will just learn that he doesn't have to come back when its not on  ;).  I'm just nearing the end of long line training with Millie and I started in january  :o. Mind you she was allowed to roam by previous owners and was pretty much feral when outside.  I would really reccomend going to a APDT trainer and doing a recall course. I tried following  instructions from books and COL with the standard 10m line and just wasn't getting anywhere. Having the structure of a recall programme, lessons on timing and help at the end of the phone was well worth the cost  :blink:.  Mills will still chase if something like a squirell or rabbit run under her nose so I still have to be carefull and vigilant. But walking in the park she is probably now the most responsive dog there  :angel: :lol2:.

Oh and now chasing her ball is a better reward than food so worth thinking about if he likes chasing.

Millie

Offline Nuffi

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:27:37 PM »
Yes, there are programs on how to redirect the chasing impulse into chasing a ball,

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/behaviour--training/how-do-i-stop-my-dog-chasing.html

I am going to try that with my 8 month old BC mix (who is also only going on long lines at the moment so that she cannot even learn to ever ignore a recall...she is currently also beginning to show much interest in squirrels and the like, but she also loves her tennis balls  :D)
Veronika, with Jerry & Bonnie

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 01:24:17 PM »
do you reward him with a high value treat when he comes back? I used to use kibble to reward Roxy but when her recall started getting a bit selective I swapped to a high value tasty treat, I also call her back randomly on a walk to reward her so I know she knows I have the treats! She is pretty good now and will come back even if faced with a distraction such as child or dog!

As far as chasing goes, as I don't use a long line I would always put her on the lead if we were anywhere with things like sheep as the temptation to chase would probably be too much!

when you practice recall have you tried hiding or running away??  This has also worked quite well for me.  Roxy hates it when she can't see me ands will instantly come back when she can't so when I call her and she doesn't come straight away I shout 'bye then' and either hide or run away.  She knows she's to come back and so far she always has.  This obviously depends on if the situation is safe or not, I am lucky in that we have designated dog walking ares on our estate all of which are quite safe for dogs to be off lead in.  Oh and I always reward her for coming back even if I have had to ask a few times or run off!

Offline RisbyFynn

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:09:08 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  From now on he won't be able to go off the long line, I also bought him an extention lead which he seems to like on walks last night and this morning.  I'll work on recall intensly over next to weeks and think I'll get in touch with the trainers you recommended as I've tried everything.  I always hide on walks, reward him when he returns to recall etc, so be good to have a subjective insight from an outsider.

Must run, having such a busy few days.  But wanted to say thanx for your valuable opions. 

FYNN'S 1 TODAY :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 11:09:37 AM »
Happy 1st Birthday Fynn  :luv: :luv:

It will take lots of consistency but I'm sure you and Fynn will get there  ;) ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »
Sounds like you have had some pretty good advice. I had a similar problem with Milo when he was about 8 months old, he would go off chasing or just go off hunting and he put himself in real danger twice. I had some similar advice and things are really improving. I found with Milo that food (even liver bread, tuna, sausages etc), running in the opposite direction, laying on the floor, hiding etc did absolutely nothing to help  :-\ I don't want to sound negative because they are techniques that do work with most dogs... but not all.

The thing that worked for us was getting Milo ball obsessed so that a ball mattered more than anything (even chasing!), traning him to the whistle & using a long line. We still use the long line from time to time and are very careful where we let him off as I'd rather not be in the situations we've been in before.

Good luck, it will get better!
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x