Author Topic: Clicker training.......Does this work for barking???  (Read 7545 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Clicker training.......Does this work for barking???
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »

Is she allowed cucumber or similar??? We have used that as a training reward with Honey, as well as Red Pepper, and she loves it...
It's just that the clicker doesn't replace the reward - it marks the behaviour to indicate they have earned a reward...  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »
ahhh good point.....Cucumber never even crossed my mind.......i guess she could cos its basically water anyway...........Thanks! :luv:
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »
Mine wont eat cucumber but go loopy for orange/satsumas.  There must be loads of stuff that we wouldnt normally think to treat with.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »
The reward doesn't have to be food, it could be a game with a favourite toy, although obviously if you're trying to clicker them into calm behaviour then that may not be the best thing as it could get them over stimulated again. My two love most veg so I'm sure you could go down that route.
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 10:31:25 PM »
Hi Tori,

I think clicker training is good if you have 1 or 2 dogs but if you have several I found it more difficult as it gets confusing as to which dog the click is for and trying to get the timing right with a group of dogs mulling round I found a nightmare :005: I can recommend a lady that has taught me some brilliant techniques, she's a sheep dog trainer/breeder. PM if you would like more details.

Hope you get it sorted  :D
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 10:42:19 PM »
Hi Tori,

I think clicker training is good if you have 1 or 2 dogs but if you have several I found it more difficult as it gets confusing as to which dog the click is for and trying to get the timing right with a group of dogs mulling round I found a nightmare :005: I can recommend a lady that has taught me some brilliant techniques, she's a sheep dog trainer/breeder. PM if you would like more details.

Hope you get it sorted  :D

Are you going to share the brilliant techniques then Kelly?? :D

Would you not work on one dog at a time to teach a quiet cue before expecting the dog to understand it around distractions such as other dogs? ;)
I taught all my dogs the meaning of the word quiet with the clicker separately but they now all understand the word and what it means I can use it when they are all together and they all respond.
The clicker is a tool that is used for learning only and once the dog knows the meaning of a word or sound the clicker is no longer needed.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 10:34:33 AM »
I could not do them justice with a short explanation on an internet forum, you would need to see the 'positive natural' techniques in practise. Here is a link to Sarah's website www.groveshilldogwhisperers.co.uk I have to admit at being a bit sceptical when I looked at the site but after attending a seminar and having some 1 to 1 with Sarah I have the utmost respect for her and her methods. This lady was born and bred around dogs- hard wired sheep dogs and has experience of working with large packs of dogs.

I'm sure that you will have great delight in tearing this lady to pieces as I know you don't buy wolk pack theories but each to their own -her approach, methods & experience suits me & my dogs.

I agree that you would work with each dog seperately to teach the command with clicker training , but I have personally found clicker training in general difficult with packs/groups of dogs. I think it's an excellent training method with pet dogs and I'm sure you are doing an excellent job in helping owners and their dogs.

Visit our website

Offline LinsR

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 02:34:20 PM »
just caught up with this!!!!

Tori did I really agree to have your dogs for a whole week........!

Dont worry i'll have them all sorted for when you get back.............. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Fizz cant wait for the love of her life to stay  :luv: :luv: :luv: meg says she loves boys toooooooo!!!!!

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 06:16:01 PM »
I could not do them justice with a short explanation on an internet forum, you would need to see the 'positive natural' techniques in practise. Here is a link to Sarah's website www.groveshilldogwhisperers.co.uk I have to admit at being a bit sceptical when I looked at the site but after attending a seminar and having some 1 to 1 with Sarah I have the utmost respect for her and her methods. This lady was born and bred around dogs- hard wired sheep dogs and has experience of working with large packs of dogs.

I'm sure that you will have great delight in tearing this lady to pieces as I know you don't buy wolk pack theories but each to their own -her approach, methods & experience suits me & my dogs.

I agree that you would work with each dog seperately to teach the command with clicker training , but I have personally found clicker training in general difficult with packs/groups of dogs. I think it's an excellent training method with pet dogs and I'm sure you are doing an excellent job in helping owners and their dogs.

looked at the site and not for me as you probably would have guessed. ;)
By the way does the OP not have a "Pet" dog?
Mark

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »
By the way does the OP not have a "Pet" dog

I used pet dogs to describe your typcial household with one or two pet dogs. Tori i know has several dogs certainely more than 3 and has siblings living together. Soz Tori to spk about u like you ain't there ;)

Hey Lindsay didn't know you did dog sitting i'll send you my lot when I go on hols :005:

Visit our website

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 09:19:20 PM »
By the way does the OP not have a "Pet" dog

I used pet dogs to describe your typcial household with one or two pet dogs. Tori i know has several dogs certainely more than 3 and has siblings living together. Soz Tori to spk about u like you ain't there ;)

Hey Lindsay didn't know you did dog sitting i'll send you my lot when I go on hols :005:

I quite often have three or four dogs living with me they are  still pets. ;)

You say it gets confusing about which dog gets clicked I am afraid i disagree although if you struggle with timing as some do then clicker training may not be for you. ;)

What I said was train quiet separately with the clicker so their is no confusion before asking for the behaviour around other dogs. ;)
By then if you have trained it well enough the behaviour will be on a verbal cue anyway and you will not even need the clicker! :D
So I don't see how you can get confused? :huh:

There are many different ways to train a dog and people have to choose what suits them and there beliefs but the science is there for everyone to see regarding how dogs learn and there is no need to dress it up in wolf's clothing or as being natural IMO.This approach sounds to much like Cesar Milan and Jan fennel to me all a bit gimmicky but if it sells then hey they have made more money than me at it.

But one thing you cannot disagree with is a dog is not a wolf! Sorry but i feel like banging my head against a brick wall when i read misinformed rubbish about Alphas and packs which is not applicable to the domestic dog living in modern day suburbia.
Packs are formed to hunt, wolf cubs do not hunt and through natural and artificial selection dogs have diversified.
One of the effects of this diversification is a phenomenon called paedomorphism which means dogs do not develop any further mentally than wolf cubs. Because of this physical change dogs have evolved into an entirely different beast.
Don't take my word for it, read papers and reports by leading scientists in the field of wolf and dog behaviour and they will agree.
Have you ever read "Dogs, a startling new understanding" by Coppinger well worth a look if you get the chance.

I will not however  diss any method of training until i see the  techniques so in truth I am interested in seeing the methods you can't describe for myself and seeing the angle your trainer puts on things.
I would go and watch Cesar Milan or anybody like him to see what he did in the flesh but that does not mean that I would agree with what he did but I am open minded enough to go.
we seem to have a habit of disagreeing Kelly but that is good as it promotes healthy debate on such topics. ;)
Mark

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 11:32:18 PM »
Yes Mark we do seem to disagree. :D I don't claim to be any expert - in fact far from it. Great thing with dogs is you never stop learning and nothing pleases me more than to learn from experienced people. No clicker training isn't for me but i gave it a go under instruction as like you I like to be open-minded and I didn't find artifical aids of benefit with working with several dogs. I also don't like the idea of stuffing dogs with food every five minutes. - just my preference...

A bitch doesn't have a clicker to correct her pups she uses body language, nuzzles them, licks them, stands over them etc etc. I prefer methods that mimic how dogs communicate with each other rather than the use of human artifical aids that goes for contraptions like harnesses and haltis too.

Yes it has been said before I do like Ceasar Milan's approach & theories. Jan Fennel is a no no for me though- ignoring dogs and not disagreeing with bad behaviour in my limited experience doesn't get you anywhere.

I agree a domestic dog isn't a wolf but the way they communciate has been evolved from wolf pack behaviour. Have you seen sheep dogs at work? They work together to hunt, it's the handlers instructions that keep them from making a kill. Have you ever been out on a hunt and followed the hounds? Ask the hunt master if the hounds are a pack? If they mimic wolf pack behaviour.  I know of several breeders that keep several numbers of dogs and they will all tell you there is a pecking order, theres always a dominant dog and under dogs.

Why not go along to Sarah's next seminar or hire her yourself? I think you will find she isn't as pricey as some dog behaviourists ;) or gimicky - she won't be teaching you how to train your dog to do silly tricks she will show you how to communicate with your dog effectively, gain their trust and respect, the nitty gritty - bare bones of dogs, then you can make a proper informed opinion. Anybody that can work/walk 12 dogs off lead under full control, work dogs to sheep from miles off, has competed twice in the international trails - a very mean feat!!,  manages a large pack of dogs co-habiting at home, has turned around dogs with severe behavioural problems - gets my respect.  I don't think she has one qualification in dog behaviour just years of experience with living/working with dogs and for me counts far more than a piece of paper.

Visit our website

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 09:56:47 AM »
I quite agree Kelly that it's each to their own when it comes to training dogs and it's fine to have a discussion about different methods as long as things are kept nice and friendly. I'm not sure about your comments about training dogs to do "silly tricks" and trainers with "pieces of paper" (meaning presumably those trainers who undertake academic study) though - I hope they're intended as general comments only and not aimed at anyone personally (I appreciate it's difficult to communicate tone with the written word).

I agree pieces of paper aren't everything and I wouldn't rely on anyone who had no experience with dogs but just a paper qualification to their name. However many respected trainers in the UK have both (ie practical experience combined with academic research/study). I don't think you can really carry on learning if you don't open yourself up to new ideas and keep up to date with current research. Experience is invaluable but anybody involved in a profession/vocation is usually expected to continue their education/training so why should dog trainers/behaviourists be any different? Just my opinion as someone who's changed their views on dog behaviour (particularly "pack" theory thinking) through watching my own group of dogs and reading widely on the subject (starting with Barbara Woodhouse who was probably the Cesar Milan of her day :005:)

Jane

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 10:08:32 AM »
I hope they're intended as general comments only and not aimed at anyone personally

No of course not Jane.

Visit our website

Offline LinsR

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »
[/quote]

one of the many strings to my bow....!!!!!!!

Only board dogs I know  :luv: