Author Topic: Clicker training.......Does this work for barking???  (Read 7543 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Clicker training.......Does this work for barking???
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 10:35:17 AM »
Yes Mark we do seem to disagree. :D I don't claim to be any expert - in fact far from it. Great thing with dogs is you never stop learning and nothing pleases me more than to learn from experienced people. No clicker training isn't for me but i gave it a go under instruction as like you I like to be open-minded and I didn't find artifical aids of benefit with working with several dogs. I also don't like the idea of stuffing dogs with food every five minutes. - just my preference...

A bitch doesn't have a clicker to correct her pups she uses body language, nuzzles them, licks them, stands over them etc etc. I prefer methods that mimic how dogs communicate with each other rather than the use of human artifical aids that goes for contraptions like harnesses and haltis too.

Yes it has been said before I do like Ceasar Milan's approach & theories. Jan Fennel is a no no for me though- ignoring dogs and not disagreeing with bad behaviour in my limited experience doesn't get you anywhere.

I agree a domestic dog isn't a wolf but the way they communciate has been evolved from wolf pack behaviour. Have you seen sheep dogs at work? They work together to hunt, it's the handlers instructions that keep them from making a kill. Have you ever been out on a hunt and followed the hounds? Ask the hunt master if the hounds are a pack? If they mimic wolf pack behaviour.  I know of several breeders that keep several numbers of dogs and they will all tell you there is a pecking order, theres always a dominant dog and under dogs.

Why not go along to Sarah's next seminar or hire her yourself? I think you will find she isn't as pricey as some dog behaviourists ;) or gimicky - she won't be teaching you how to train your dog to do silly tricks she will show you how to communicate with your dog effectively, gain their trust and respect, the nitty gritty - bare bones of dogs, then you can make a proper informed opinion. Anybody that can work/walk 12 dogs off lead under full control, work dogs to sheep from miles off, has competed twice in the international trails - a very mean feat!!,  manages a large pack of dogs co-habiting at home, has turned around dogs with severe behavioural problems - gets my respect.  I don't think she has one qualification in dog behaviour just years of experience with living/working with dogs and for me counts far more than a piece of paper.

I do agree that dogs communicate through posture and body language and indeed some that is so subtle that we humans miss it all together.
I also agree with you that in large groups of  working dogs their is a social structure between them.  wild wolf packs are more like a family group where the Alpha male and female are the breeding pair and dominance/ submition contests are very rare.
Studies carried out on artificial packs of  captive wolves revealed more of a linear hierarchy akin to what you suggest
with regards to packs of hounds or working sheep dogs.
However this social structure is dependant on the circumstances and the environment they are placed into.
The common denominator is as I have said before the hunt which is what these dogs are used for.
Even sheep dogs working are using their natural motorpatterns to hunt prey, the only part of the sequence missing is the grab bite / kill dissect.
Do you think these dogs find this rewarding?
Of course they do and that is their motivation to work not someone dominating them and waving a big stick.
Dogs like this are bred for purpose and the ones who don't show aptitude or sufficient prey drive for the job are discarded by even the best trainers.
You need the raw material to make a top dog in any discipline.
with regard to stuffing treats into dogs that tells me how little you understand how i work as each dog is different and in any form of training the skill is in finding the key motivating factor that the dog will want to work for.
With sheep dogs and hounds the ultimate motivation is the sheep and the hunted prey so what would be the point in dishing out food rewards when the most powerful reinforcer's are naturally occurring in the dogs environment.
pet cocker's however are a different story but self rewarding behaviours such as hunting and the retrieves can be used to reinforce good behaviour.
I said in my last post that the key thing is that dogs learn in the same way through reward and punishment I choose reward based methods to work in harmony with my dogs I do not need intimidation which is an image conjured up by the word dominance.
The best trainers understand their dogs and what motivates them and control the rewards they do not need to physically impose themselves as someone to be obeyed it just happens that the dog hangs off your every word because you control the access to all good things in its life.
I also agree that bitches do not have clickers and indeed much dog training has been done without them over the years to good effect, but we are not dogs and cannot communicate like dogs so the clicker does give a very definite marker signal to the dog to say that's right.
Some of the early dog trainers who shaped the direction of traditional dog training were using the principles of clicker  training even though they didn't realise it
Konrad Most used both primary and secondary reinforcer's (which is what a clicker is) without a clicker in sight.
Experience is vital when training dogs but please don't put down academic qualifications as study broadens your horizons and outlook allowing you to make an informed choice as to which path is the best for you.
I prefer to base my training around  the scientific principles of how dogs learn in the same way all trainers do, some just don't realise they are doing it.
Experience alone in my oppinion can make a trainer too one dimensional in their approach but if they are happy with what they do and achieve results then so be it.
My argument is you cannot apply the methods you might use with a group of collies or a pack of hounds to the domestic canine as the motivation and environment is far removed.
Domestic dogs have had a lot of the drive selectively bred out of them and have become scavengers rather than hunters so the need to pack has diminished.
So as you can see I do not disagree that dogs in some circumstances will form complex social structures but this is Dependant on breeding and the specific environment dogs find themselves in.
Why then try to impose a rank structure that is completely alien to most domestic pet dogs?
Much better to teach a few silly as you put it tricks that your dogs find fun and rewarding to enhance your relationship through mutual cooperation.

Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Eceni

• Limited Member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
interesting debate.... and I'd agree with all that Mark said

what I would add is that:

a bitch may not have a clicker, but she is not asking of her pups that they integrate into a human society, that they learn that a plastic toy is a chew toy but a plastic shoe is not; that grass is (usually) an acceptable substrate for urination/defeacation but a shag pile carpet is not; that it's fine to run and bark and chase your friends, but not the new dog that your owner hasn't met yet; that sometimes it's OK to chase the rabbit, but when it's a hare it isn't.

in horse training, pressure/release of pressure is a very blunt instrument and can often lead to horses that exhibit learned helplessness.  One of the things we learn and deal with as horse clicker trainers is that a lot of people LIKE their horses this way and don't want them to learn to think/feel/act for themselves, or to experiment, which is what happens when you encourage independent thought.  But those who stick with it, find they're in the company of a very different animal, and it's inspiring on every level.

with dogs, the clicker gives us a precise and rapid 'yes' without any 'no'.  Dr Jesus Rosales-Ruiz at the U of North Texas has done some very interesting studies (I'll try to find the refs, haven't time now, plumbers are here) on the difference in learning speed in pups trained by +ve reinforcement (clicker) vs those trained by a mix of +ve and -ve (pressure/release of pressure).  The latter learn far more slowly and are less confident than the former.

Which isn't to say it can't be done with p/rop and it can be a subtle and powerful tool, but on the whole, if you embrace the concepts of +ve reinforcement, in whatever way, I think you'll have a more open, whole, inspired and inspiring relationship in the end.

e
"The only requirements for a soft landing (from peak oil) are that power companies tell the truth about their reserves and that Governments act before they have to. I hope this makes you feel safer." George Monbiot

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »
Dogs like this are bred for purpose

All dogs have been bred for a purpose haven't they? Were they not selected over many years for the various purposes, herding, guarding, retrieving etc. Just because some are now pets does this mean they were not bred for a purpose?

Do you think these dogs find this rewarding?
Of course they do and that is their motivation to work not someone dominating them and waving a big stick.

Of course I agree but what i find amazing is the control the handlers have over the dogs to control the grab & bite instinct, not through domination but through the relationship built up with the handler, the mutual respect and the dogs desire to please the handler before themselves.

No bitches do not have clickers and no we are not dogs but I find the more natural methods are the closest you are going to get to it! Where i do think clickers are useful is the fact that there is no emotion attached to them and the sound/pitch never varies i.e.  you always get a consistent sound. I have learnt that I use my voice far to much with my dogs, i talk far to much to them it's much more effective to use subtle body language, touch, massage etc.

I do not mean to put down academic qualifications - i hold some myself although not in the canine field, and this is a general observation not aimed at anyone - but there are those people that get a qualification and think they know it all - without the experience to back it. You can pass your driving test but that doesn't make you an expert driver! Of course experience/ qualifications etc go hand in hand  and agree with your comments in that respect.

The problem with scientific  principles is that they are ever changing - one day it will be one theory the next it will be something else and then before you know it you will be back round to where you started- you never know Woodhouse could make a come back :005:
I try to look at things more practically just because something is scientifically proven at a certain point does that make it 100% right?

Finally groups of collies, packs of hounds IMO are domesticated dogs. Ok they are not pet dogs maybe, but they are domesticated animals. Where does the social structure start  & end does it ever end? Well thats down to our individual opinions.....

Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »
Yes dogs were bred for a purpose but that purpose may have been a lap dog for a wealthy lady or to run alongside carriages but in many breeds the selection process has lent itself towards the dogs appearance rather than being bred for a specific purpose.
Is this not what dog showing is all about? :huh:
I appreciate that some breeds dogs are bred for show and work but there are a great many that are not.
In fact in our own breed there is the prime example of working and show strains.
I do live with both and the difference between the two is enormous. ;)
You still do not seem to get my point that the dogs you talk about are bred for specific behavioural trait that involves  heightened prey drive where as most pets are not.
With regard to dogs and control over the grab bite instinct this is something more to do with selective breeding rather than training and it is part of the hard wiring the dog comes with.
There is a reason collies herd sheep and not rotties or bull mastiffs and this has nothing to do with training although you could probably train them to do it, it would prove challenging.
This is all to do with breeding!
The scientific principles of learning theory were developed in the early 20th century and have been proved conclusively through countless trials and tests and are still the principles adhered to today.
Even woodhouse used learning theory.
The thing is Kelly, no matter what type of trainer you are, you use, maybe unwittingly the science anyway whether you are a clicker trainer or a natural, traditional or anyother fancy title you give yourself.  Dogs learn in the same way no matter how they were bred it's just how you control this learning environment that differs.
The laws of learning entail, You do something because it is rewarding to do it or do something to avoid an unpleasant experience if you don't do it.
Where is the flaw in the science behind that?
The answer is there isn't one! ;)
Even your hero the sheep dog lady will appreciate this.
It is just a choice as to whether you make learning a cooperative pleasant reward based experience or you bully and intimidate to get what you want.
That is the choice and everyone has to go with what their conscience dictates.
Which ever you use Kelly and however you dress it up and communicate your desires to the dog you will still be using the laws of learning theory. ;)
Mark

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 09:52:58 PM »

in horse training, pressure/release of pressure is a very blunt instrument and can often lead to horses that exhibit learned helplessness.  One of the things we learn and deal with as horse clicker trainers is that a lot of people LIKE their horses this way and don't want them to learn to think/feel/act for themselves, or to experiment, which is what happens when you encourage independent thought.  But those who stick with it, find they're in the company of a very different animal, and it's inspiring on every level.

Eceni, I find your comments on equine training very interesting.
I have studied at a college with a large equine unit for my degree and the horsey types were very much of this traditional school of thought.
I did some clicker training with some of the equine lecturers and their dogs and they loved it.
one week one didn't have a dog to work so worked her horse instead we had it targetting and following in a very short space of time and the lady was blown away.
They seemed very dubious about clicker training but having tried it and seen the results myself and my lecturer who took the clicker class believed we had got them thinking at least.
Mark

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 10:37:05 PM »
the selection process has lent itself towards the dogs appearance rather than being bred for a specific purpose.
Is this not what dog showing is all about?

No it is not! Breeding dogs for the show ring is not all about beauty. They have to be fit for function, they have to be made/built right to do the job they were orginally bred for. A cocker needs to be capable of carrying game, capable of working all day, they should have good legs and feet, be sound and have efficient movement, have plenty of heart room i could go on and on but i'm sure you get the idea. A show cocker certainly should be able to do the job it was bred for as with any breed.

I fully get your point, the dogs i talk about collies,beagles etc bred for the so called heightened prey drive - Collies are one of the commonest breeds people have problems with, most behaviourists i'm sure will vouch for that - how often do you hear about Collies chasing bikes - you can't take the breed traits/instincts out of the dogs whether they were bred from carefully selected working lines or specifically for the pet market. This is maybe a good thing in your case - otherwise you could be out of a job! I assume you agree our local Dunston Harriers pack of hounds are domesticated dogs?

There is a reason collies herd sheep and not rotties or bull mastiffs and this has nothing to do with training although you could probably train them to do it, it would prove challenging.

Fully agree and can't recall disputing that?

I think you are missing my point with regard to my comments concerning scientific theory's - the theory's I was relating to were the few you quoted that disprove any link from wolf packs to domestic packs of dogs.

Mark - it has been an interesting debate one i must now put to bed ;)

Visit our website

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 07:10:48 AM »
the selection process has lent itself towards the dogs appearance rather than being bred for a specific purpose.
Is this not what dog showing is all about?

No it is not! Breeding dogs for the show ring is not all about beauty. They have to be fit for function, they have to be made/built right to do the job they were orginally bred for. A cocker needs to be capable of carrying game, capable of working all day, they should have good legs and feet, be sound and have efficient movement, have plenty of heart room i could go on and on but i'm sure you get the idea. A show cocker certainly should be able to do the job it was bred for as with any breed.

I fully get your point, the dogs i talk about collies,beagles etc bred for the so called heightened prey drive - Collies are one of the commonest breeds people have problems with, most behaviourists i'm sure will vouch for that - how often do you hear about Collies chasing bikes - you can't take the breed traits/instincts out of the dogs whether they were bred from carefully selected working lines or specifically for the pet market. This is maybe a good thing in your case - otherwise you could be out of a job! I assume you agree our local Dunston Harriers pack of hounds are domesticated dogs?

Fully agree and can't recall disputing that?

I think you are missing my point with regard to my comments concerning scientific theory's - the theory's I was relating to were the few you quoted that disprove any link from wolf packs to domestic packs of dogs.

Mark - it has been an interesting debate one i must now put to bed ;)

OK Kelly, I think we will have to  agree to disagree on many points raised.
All I will say is keep building on your experience, and one day you may change your mind.
John Fisher did! One of the best trainers this country ever produced who was one of the first in this country to employ rank reduction and pack theory.
He changed his mind in the light of scientific evidence presented to him.
He moved on.
I think he said "if this new evidence is correct that's my life's work down the drain."
Someone who had built his career on pack theory moved on to accept up to date findings which may or may not be disproved in future years. Really you just have to delve a little deeper in to rank reduction programmes to see how they work and how silly the concept actually is. Have you ever read the Culture Clash?
This is where studying Canine behaviour for the last 5 years has taken me.
I do accept that dogs are bred for conformation and maybe i worded that part of my reply wrong.
Show dogs are built to conform to a standard but in many cases (not all ) it is this selection process that takes away or dilutes the instincts of their working ancestors.
I believe it has certainly done with cocker's  although there are exceptions.
I'm not sure why you are going on about collies having issues but the point I was trying to make in reply to you saying the  sheep dog handler trains the dog  not to kill and disect was that dogs have a predatory sequence, it's just in collies the kill dissect part of the sequence is missing because of the process of artificial selection over many generations.
The kill dissect part of the sequence has been bred out which makes training easy.
Rotties and Bull mastiffs have been bred for a different job and the grab bite part of the predatory sequence has been selected for so they are predisposed to carry it out as are the hounds.
I'm glad you found the debate interesting and as we are now so far off topic (sorry mods) I'll let this one lie.
By the way I do agree the hounds are domestic animals but so are cows, pigs and sheep.
There are varying degrees of domestication and you cannot compare a pack of hounds and the environment they live and work in to the domestic pet dog as being like for like.
nice chatting Kelly

Mark

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2008, 08:00:28 AM »

Eceni, I find your comments on equine training very interesting.
I have studied at a college with a large equine unit for my degree and the horsey types were very much of this traditional school of thought.
I did some clicker training with some of the equine lecturers and their dogs and they loved it.
one week one didn't have a dog to work so worked her horse instead we had it targetting and following in a very short space of time and the lady was blown away.
They seemed very dubious about clicker training but having tried it and seen the results myself and my lecturer who took the clicker class believed we had got them thinking at least.
Mark

Everyone where I work (rescue horses) is very anti clicker due to untrained people having a go which ended in horses biting. One of the managers is trained in Intelligent Horsemanship which is anti clicker trainer due to their theory that only subordinate horses will relinquish a high value food source. I lent her my copy of The Culture Clash which explains the clicker theory very well, a week later I saw her clicker training one of the more nervous horses  ;).

Millie

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 08:53:55 AM »
just in collies the kill dissect part of the sequence is missing because of the process of artificial selection over many generations.
The kill dissect part of the sequence has been bred out which makes training easy.
I do disagree with that from what I have been told, the kill dissect is very much there and is not a high factor in breeding decisions as you would think.

Yes i have read the culture clash, now working my way through if Bones would rain from the Sky.

Mark we do seem to misunderstand each other - Of course i know kennel dogs, hound packs etc cannot be compared entirely to the everyday household pet dog - but they are still domesticated animals which exhibit pack behaviour - which is the point I was trying to make.

Good to chat  ;)

Visit our website

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 09:39:44 AM »

One thing study has taught me is that you need to research the chosen topic and be able to reference from it.
You cannot base an argument on something someone tells you.

Just one article I quickly have to hand.

Domestic dogs, as a whole, are less well equipped for hunting than their wild cousins who depend on their ability to fend for and feed themselves.

That said, the predatory instinct has been preserved to some extent in all dogs and has been cultivated and refined in certain breeds. The working behaviour of sporting breeds is based almost entirely on customized predatory instincts. For example, pointers sniff out and point toward game, retrievers find and retrieve shot or injured prey with their "soft mouths," and spaniels locate and then leap, or spring, to flush out quarry.

Breeds most well known for having high prey drive are contained within the herding group. Herding behaviour provides the best example of the predatory behaviour at work in modern-day domestic dogs. From the stalk to the crouch, creep to the running and nipping, shepherd dogs almost have it all, except the final consummatory phase, which has been agonizingly culled out of their predatory repertoire for centuries.
Though actively suppressed through breeding, this final phase of the predatory sequence is still genetically encoded in the various members of these breeds and re-emerges from time to time.

Trying to train the predatory behaviour out of a dog is like swimming upstream. You might make some progress if you work hard for a while, but you will be back to square one the moment you stop. It is better to simply acknowledge that predatory behaviour is part of dogs' genetic nature (as it is our own), to live with it, channel it appropriately, and take steps to avoid unfortunate accidents. While predatory behaviour spin-off can be entertaining, in the form of ball chasing, or amusing, when toy dogs' predatory ambitions exceed their capabilities, it is far from entertaining or amusing in larger dogs when directed toward people.

Mark

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »
One thing study has taught me is that you need to research the chosen topic and be able to reference from it.

Depends who tells you! Yes but this is where we differ i agree researching papers and books is great but also taking experience from people in the know, breeders, dog people who are actually dealing with these dogs in real life day in & day out, breeding them and seeing the results for themselves is as valuable. You shouldn't believe all you read.... Just because an article says something in particular does it mean it's 100% accurate & thats the way it is without question?? I don't think so. All I have left to say is good luck with your studies but be sure to draw as much from practical experience, and the experience of others on
the ground. I'm sure there a quite a few breeders out there who would be willing to help you.

Visit our website

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
Sorry to butt in; this is fascinating  :D

Although I am sure that breeders do learn a great deal about dog behaviour from living with their dogs (often in a pack environment) - I don't think that their understanding can be compared to someone who has studied and researched in the way Mark and other professional dog behaviourists have.  Anyone who lives with a dog will soon learn how to interact with them to a greater or lesser extent; the difference is that a professional knows WHY a dog behaves the way they do and WHY certain things motivate them.  That is what the academic side provides - access to the scientific research which is carried out to determine the WHY's; and that is something that can never be learnt through experience alone  ;)

I would not ask a behaviourist, even one with years and years of experience, for advice about breeding dogs; that advice is best gained from breeders who have (hopefully) learnt from both experience AND researching in order to ensure that they are integrating the latest scientific advances (such as Optigen testing) into their breeding programmes  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 01:26:14 PM »
I'm sure there a quite a few breeders out there who would be willing to help you.

I for one wouldn't dream of giving Mark advice on "pack" behaviour or training issues - he knows far more than I ever will and has shown he can put it into practice with difficult dogs (Bayley for one). Perhaps I don't qualify as an experienced breeder as although we've been breeding for over 20 years, we've never had a big kennel (maximum of 10 dogs but only 6 now). I've certainly learned a lot from observing our own dogs over the years but that combined with research has led me in a different direction to you & I find I cannot now believe in a lot of these old pack behaviour theories. So not even all breeders share the same views :005:
Jane

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 04:42:22 PM »

Depends who tells you! Yes but this is where we differ i agree researching papers and books is great but also taking experience from people in the know, breeders, dog people who are actually dealing with these dogs in real life day in & day out, breeding them and seeing the results for themselves is as valuable. You shouldn't believe all you read.... Just because an article says something in particular does it mean it's 100% accurate & thats the way it is without question?? I don't think so. All I have left to say is good luck with your studies but be sure to draw as much from practical experience, and the experience of others on
the ground. I'm sure there a quite a few breeders out there who would be willing to help you.

Kelly , you forget I deal with dogs day in and day out, It's my job! :D
Hopefully I have just a tiny bit of experience of my own.  ;) I have never said taking the advice of experienced people does not have value. :D
Education allows you to decide whether the  advice of experience is of value or not.
More knowledge equals more choice.
Trainers on programmes like dog borstal have experience, would I agree with all they say or what they do?
no!
I believe papers and books that have substance and been proved by experts based on years of study are of very high value but that is not to say I agree with it all.
The people that write these articles are the breeders and dog people who have bothered to do the research and not stuck their head in the sand.
I quoted one article, how many would it take to convince you?
You can't believe all you read and you have to base your judgement as to the value of any literary work by examining its content and how it was obtained.
I will continue to expand my experience through more reading and watching others work you can be assured of that because learning about dogs and their behaviour for me is a passion, my livelihood and not a hobby.
If I ever need  the help of a breeder to advise me I'll let you know.  ;)
Mark

Offline iceryder

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »

Clicker training has really grown with horses.  They are just so much smarter with clicker training.  They can distinguish items and symbols (discrimination), fetch requested items; it makes a normal person look like a wonder trainer!  Here's a few videos (just click the > button to go onto the next video): 

http://click-ryder.blogspot.com/2008/08/clicker-trained-horse.html