Author Topic: very slow computer  (Read 1111 times)

Offline helen1

• Site Member
very slow computer
« on: August 16, 2008, 01:02:05 PM »
We have broadband and its so slow, rang Virgin last night to see if they could speed things up, they said broadband working at correct speed being fed to computer and that its probably because we have visited so many web sites and not cleared the history. We did this last night and its not much faster, it only took about five mins to do but Virgin said it should take about one hour approx to completely wipe all pages and sites visited. Only thing is dont understand their jargin ph34r  Do this do that!

So in laymans terms how do we wipe the computer clean with visited pages or cookies or what ever you call it without wiping our own documents and photos ect???????????????
Loves my family and dog Bailey more than life its self

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
Re: very slow computer
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »
Hi
Go into control panel and click on internet options then click on the delete browsing history options? Don't know if that helps. If you have Norton or something similar that will do it for you.

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 09:10:02 PM »
Run a good anti spyware prog - Norton is rubbish try super anti spyware or avg etc......

You MAY have a virus but you could just be clogged with rubbish....

Janey

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »
Been there and done that ......... twice!  I found a lovely PC guy (not Politically Correct but good with Personal Computers).  He was personally recomended to me when my computer allowed me to switch it on and then leave enough time to make a cup of tea and do the crossword before it was running  :o

He doesn't advertise but is a retired gentleman who is recommended by past customers.

If you can find a genuine person to 'clean' your PC and load some decent anti spy-ware along with the usual stuff then your computer will be like new  ;)  I paid £35 for the first hour and then a nominal fee for anything that couldn't be done within the hour ..................... my hard drive went to hospital for a night and was returned the following day and reinstalled with lots of freebees for about £70.  It was like having a new computer again and well worth the money spent  :D