Author Topic: 3 meals a day  (Read 2782 times)

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
3 meals a day
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »
How long should i keep marty eating 3 meals?! hes almost 4 months and is having hills science plan puppy 3 lots of 60(?) dont know the measurement its on the cup. mixed with a bit of water each day.

x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: 3 meals a day
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
6 months I think - according the instructions from my breeder.  My dog is 4 1/2 months so is also on 3 meals at the mo.

:blink:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »
Ok good, one of my friends sounded really suprised when i said he was still on 3 meals a day, i also dont know how much to increase the amount to and when, i read the back of the packet but just talks about weight and doesnt say about how often or anything  :-\

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 05:30:08 PM »
Depends what you feed as to how many meals per day. I fed raw and mine are on 4 meal til 4mths then 3 until 8 mths then 2 meals forever.

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:42:23 AM »
he's on kibble ( hills science plan puppy) which he loves, just thought i would check as im not sure when i should start to swap to two meals as i presume i would also change the time im giving it to him.?!
xx

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »
Did the breeder give you any instructrions on feeding? I know with all my dogs I got instructions with information on feeding, worming, exercise, vaccinations etc.

4 meals to start, then at 10 weeks down to 3 meals , then down to 2 meals at 6months (I also got the time of day to feed to begin with)

At the moment Roly is fed at 7am, 12pm and 5pm, when he goes down to 2 meals, he'll be fed at 7am and 4pm.
Roly's going to be in for a shock when we go down to 2 meals - he really loves his food!  I'll have to give him a biscuit at lunchtime to keep him going.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:37:57 AM »
lol know whatt you mean Marty runs to the kitchen whenever i say dinner, Yep had instructions on feeding with the booklet mmy breeder gave me, just didnt say when it changed to two meals a day. He's fed at 8.30 / 3.00 / 10.00 so i imagine when its time to swap to two would be at 10am and then 6 pm or something.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
He's fed at 8.30 / 3.00 / 10.00 so i imagine when its time to swap to two would be at 10am and then 6 pm or something.

Is that last current feed 10pm? That's really late, doesn't that make him poo an awful lot during the night? You might find that Marty naturally weans himself down to two meals a day, a lot of dogs do. Alfie went off his lunchtime feed at about 4-5 months old, he was just picking at and then leaving most of it so I took that as my cue to stop offering it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 02:37:54 PM »
My Rosie was on 2 meals aday by 6 months, she has breakfast at 7am and dinner at 4.15  :blink: a few treats on her last walk and bed time biccy too  :luv: and a stuffed Kong in the morning when I go to work  :blink:

At 4 months I would still be offering 3 meals  :blink:

Jo

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 05:07:44 PM »
He's fed at 8.30 / 3.00 / 10.00 so i imagine when its time to swap to two would be at 10am and then 6 pm or something.

Is that last current feed 10pm? That's really late, doesn't that make him poo an awful lot during the night? You might find that Marty naturally weans himself down to two meals a day, a lot of dogs do. Alfie went off his lunchtime feed at about 4-5 months old, he was just picking at and then leaving most of it so I took that as my cue to stop offering it.

yeah 10pm is his last feed,doesnt poo at all during the night, he goes to bed at about 10.30ish sometimes he goes toilet before bed other times he waits until the morning( 8.15) and then goes quite a bit  at about 9ish, Same pattern that he had at his breeders.he eats all of his meals up, doesnt even leave any of the watery bit left.
x

Offline bakesy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 10:54:11 AM »
Hiya my cocker is 6 months and my breeder told me to get as much food in him as i can until he is 8 months, so i feed him 3 times aday and will change at 8 months, he is quite plump but the way i see it he still has growing to do and all babies are plump right?? after all it is called puppy fat :lol: and he should lose this when he gets older

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 11:19:19 AM »
Ok dont feel so bad now hes still haveing 3 meals so will keep that up for a bit longer now.
x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »
Chloe's been on two meals a day since she was 4 months.  She sort of weaned herself off her lunch time one but I give her a handful of kibble in a bottle at some point during the early afternoon (Yes...a bottle!) She's always loved to chew plastic water bottles so I had the idea of putting some kibble in them and flattening them up a bit....she has great fun trying to work out how to get the kibble out...keeps her occupied for ages and it means she's "working" for some of her food. It works even better than Kongs! I  don't really do routines...breakfast is between 8 - 9 and tea 6 to 7ish.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
We changed Ollie at 6 months - i think thats the norm.

He is now feed at 7am (weekdays) 7.30/8am (weekends) and tea is anywhere between 5 - 6pm - depending where we are!!!

L x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 12:47:55 PM »
Hiya my cocker is 6 months and my breeder told me to get as much food in him as i can until he is 8 months, so i feed him 3 times aday and will change at 8 months, he is quite plump but the way i see it he still has growing to do and all babies are plump right?? after all it is called puppy fat :lol: and he should lose this when he gets older

Even puppies can suffer from the symptoms of over-feeding; which can range from soft/liquid stools through to skin irritations and behavioural issues - so I'm not sure I agree with your breeder  ph34r

Premium brands of dog food contain little in the way of fillers, so the quantity of food that a dog needs to meet its nutritional requirements is very small - I know some people add extra raw veg to their dogs bowls to fill their tummies and stop them feeling hungry and I tend to serve kibble with quite a bit of water for the same reason  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club