Author Topic: 3 meals a day  (Read 2783 times)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: 3 meals a day
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 04:13:45 PM »
Hiya my cocker is 6 months and my breeder told me to get as much food in him as i can until he is 8 months, so i feed him 3 times aday and will change at 8 months, he is quite plump but the way i see it he still has growing to do and all babies are plump right?? after all it is called puppy fat  and he should lose this when he gets older

Some breeders would suggest that for show puppies so that he gets as much body & substance on him as possible, (the fat will turn to muscle in theory has he grows) because if you don't get it on at that stage it's very difficult later on, especially if you have a fussy eater. I'd be careful of over feeding and getting him too fat because it will put extra strain on his growing bones and joints.  Best to find a happy medium ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »
Marty's defintely not too plump, i think he's just about right. his lunch time meal is quite often in the form of a kong filled with kibble and  water etc so its all mushy and then its put in the freezer. Marty also loves plastic bottles so i will try the kibble in the squashed bottle idea.

Ok 6 months will remember that, he doesnt look like hes goign to wean himself off the lucntime meal it always goes within the space of 5 minutes.
x

Offline bakesy

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »
eeek now im a bit concerned  :-\ ...do you think i should start weaning him off his lunch time meal now then? hes 7 months

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »
excessive weight gain in puppyhood is also a contributing factor to hip dysplasia.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »
I've just changed Ollie to two meals, as he wasn't eating his third meal, and he loves having just two meals. He's on 125g twice a day, so 300g as he's now 10kg. He's 5 months old.

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 08:35:01 PM »
Marty gets 3 lots of 70mg a day and hes 5 months wil weigh him monday x