Author Topic: Bones  (Read 4102 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Bones
« on: October 06, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but I should only give raw bones and never cooked yeah ???

Have managed to really irritate my neighbour as she wanted to give my two cooked bones after her sunday roast and I refused them.

She insists I am wrong and I should never ever feed my two raw meat or bones as they will get the taste for blood and will go off hunting prey  :huh:.

She is one of these ladies that is ALWAYS right  >:(
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Bones
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:43:27 PM »
You're right and she's wrong :005:  Cooked bones are a big no no, they are friable and can splinter easily.

Mine aren't on a full barf diet but they get maybe 5 or so raw evening meals during the week, usually chicken wings, rabbit, lamb and pork ribs and tripe and now at this time of year they'll be getting pheasant too. They're all out working again now and despite them eating raw food on a regular basis they're all managing to hunt under control and carry dead and bleeding birds back to me without wanting to run off and devour them :lol2:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »
She insists I am wrong and I should never ever feed my two raw meat or bones as they will get the taste for blood and will go off hunting prey  :huh:.

This *reason* is a particular favourite of mine - I always have to stifle my giggles when I am lectured about how my dogs will chew my arm off while I'm asleep one night if I feed them raw  :005: 

Take no notice; it always amazes me how people are prepared to feed their dogs processed food with very little idea of what is in it; if only they knew  ph34r

(BTW, there really is no truth in it- my two dogs eat rabbit meat weekly, but they have shown no interest in our rabbits Flopsy and Topsy as prey, and are more interested in playing with them than eating them  :005:)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:19:59 PM »
Mine are also raw fed and we have a rabbit and 2 ducks roaming around our garden. If she were right they;d all be eaten by now. Mine won't even chase them. :005:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »
Oh my word.....wonders will never cease.

My neighbour just brought round a raw bone for my two to share  :o :o

She'll probably avoid them like the plague now for fear they will have a quick nibble on her arm  :005: :005: :005: :005:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 11:21:21 PM »
Where do you get marrow bones?? I have tried butchers etc but no joy  :-\

I also got a lecture from an assitant in Asda today about raw chicken and bones  ::) They said they cannot give bones out in case a customer sues them if their dog suffers from a splinter of bone  ::) Then I got the lecture.  ::)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:36:09 AM »

I also got a lecture from an assitant in Asda today about raw chicken and bones  ::) They said they cannot give bones out in case a customer sues them if their dog suffers from a splinter of bone  ::) Then I got the lecture.  ::)

Ask if you can buy stock bones; I pick these up in Morrisons if they are available  ;)   

Our butcher has been stopped from selling his home-made "pet mince"due the the H & S laws; that's one of the reasons I don't feed an exclusively raw diet anymore  :'( He does still sell lamb and beef bones, though (for stock) - and marrowbones  ;) 

You need to hunt around for a butcher who actually does their own butchering of carcasses rather than buys it ready-jointed, iyswim - a wholesaler butcher (that sells to restaurants, schools etc) is sometimes a good source; take a look in the yellow pages as they are often to be found on industrial estates  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:47:43 AM »

Ask if you can buy stock bones; I pick these up in Morrisons if they are available  ;)   

Our butcher has been stopped from selling his home-made "pet mince"due the the H & S laws; that's one of the reasons I don't feed an exclusively raw diet anymore  :'( He does still sell lamb and beef bones, though (for stock) - and marrowbones  ;) 

You need to hunt around for a butcher who actually does their own butchering of carcasses rather than buys it ready-jointed, iyswim - a wholesaler butcher (that sells to restaurants, schools etc) is sometimes a good source; take a look in the yellow pages as they are often to be found on industrial estates  ;)

Thanks  :D I will have a look this afternoon. I was surprised to notice just how few butchers there are now, the supermarkmets seem to monopolise, particularly here where I live.  :-\

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 09:05:31 AM »
Try the local market Patsy, they usually have a basket or something with dog bones in. I just have a look through and pick what I want.
It's the same with some butcher shops, some have them on display others you have to ask.
Also ask for lamb and / or beef trimming (it's meat bits not bone) too, you'll get that for a pet price if they've got it.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 09:15:50 AM »
I've found a local butcher who sells marrowbones for 50 pence. I bought one for the first time recently and got the butcher to saw it in half as it was bigger than William! It wasn't just the straight bit with the marrow inside but the bigger bits at either end as well (joints?, my biology O-Level exam was 37 years ago and it was never my strong subject).

William and his Retriever friend Ruby were given the bones. Ruby had a great time and was pretty good at licking and gnawing and extracting marrow. Poor William, who is a real mummy's boy, looked completely confused and needed assistance from me to get the marrow out. He's not very good and doesn't try very hard when it comes to chewing and gnawing. Ruby's mum, my friend Maria, reckons it's because he's such a spolit little prince and I do everything for him. She may be right :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
My butcher gave me a big marrowbone - Reuben sniffed it and walked off! Tried a couple of times to get him interested with no luck, so it went in the bin!  :-\

REUBY DOOO!