Author Topic: New camera help  (Read 6126 times)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
New camera help
« on: November 02, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »
A few weeks back i left my camera in the back of a black cab in Blackburn (after watching my beloved everton get kicked out of the carling cup.  >:()

Anyway i am feeling rather lost without it missed halloween and a whole month of Reuben growing, and after seeing so many wonderful pieces of photography on here wondered if anyone can recommend a good camera that doesnt cost the world. I love taking photos so would like one with a zoom lense and a few fancy functions.

Thanks

Maria  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: New camera help
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »
What sort of budget do you have? I always go for Canon cameras but it really depends on what you want to spend.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 05:37:25 PM »
I need a new one too. My sony cyber-shot has packed up, won't turn on. I just want a smallish digital one to carry in my hand. So will watch this thread for ideas.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 05:59:45 PM »
I've got a little Kodak Easyshare camera, it's nothing fancy but is easy to use and takes good enough pics for me. It wasn't expensive, maybe about £60. It does videos too. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »
Id be willing to spend over £150 but nothing more than £250 - £300 as my OH would just shout.  ph34r  My last sony camera was very good, but id like something a little more 'professional' as just taking a nice photo isnt enough and id like to experiment with it.  Helen (livercake) always takes a good photo.  :D Or is it just the subject is so beautiful?  :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline j4mie

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:04:37 AM »
I have a canon powershot A640 and it is a fantastic camera, the quality of the pics are amazing and it has a swivel screen for those over the crowd shots. the battery life is good too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-A640-Digital-Camera/dp/B000IH440M

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 12:09:24 AM »
I think Helen uses the same as me - a digital SLR Canon 350D although she may have updated it recently.  Pricey and heavy to carry around but certainly deliver on the pics.  Think Nicola has similar and so does Hollyd443  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:58:03 AM »
For an absolute bargain, try the Fuji website for their reconditioned cameras. My OH is very into photography and just bought a Fuji Finepix S8100 for £140 which is 10 megapixel, has 18x optical zoom, plus digital zoom.

It has 2 types of anti-shake and has face recognition. We've had more expensive cameras in the past and this wipes the floor with them. Ooh the other thing is the flash is really good - not glaring, and it can also manage really low level light pictures without the flash. And its easy to use - you can just use it like a compact, point & shoot, or twiddle with the settings if you are into that stuff.

Im really liking this new camera!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline j4mie

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »
How about this for the price?

Fuji Finepix S1000fd 10mp 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144036

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »
I have the Canon EOS400D, fantastic camera but slightly bulky, so I also have a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 Lumix, nice and compact and gives amazing results ............ and fits in my pocket for when we're out walking.

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 09:52:59 AM »
How about this for the price?

Fuji Finepix S1000fd 10mp 12x Optical Zoom Digital Camera

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144036

That is a brilliant bargain. For the money, you really couldnt go wrong with that. I have had several fuji finepix cameras and they have all been fantastic.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 10:44:47 AM »
your first decision to make is portablility

do you want something that fits in a pocket ... or needs a big bag ... or something in the middle ish

if its got to go in a pocket so you can take it anywhere ... then look at compact cameras
if thats not an issue ... Digital SLR are fantastic .. but bulkier and higher price (but you can add to them over time)

then you need to look at what you want to take photo's of and how you want to do it

you get more control with a DSRL and the option to add better lenses that suit the picture types you want to take (longer zooms, wider angle lenses for landscapes etc, specific portrait lenses, ones that work well when its dark), however its perfectly possible to get some great shots out of a compact camera

you need to be aware of shutter lag (delay between pressing button and taking photo) is prob the biggest cause of bad photo's (only half the subject in it etc) .. well ... that and camera shake ...

DSLR has no shutter lag, compacts in general do ... so get the best one you can if you go for a compact, however the reverse is that DSLR often does not have antishake, or image stabilisation unless you buy a lens that has it, although this is less of an issue due to the size of the camera and how you hold it

hope thats not too confusing
Phil

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 11:21:24 AM »
If you like a big screen on the back to review pics have a look at the panasonic range with lumix lenses.  We have a digital SLR from this range as well as a small pocket size one.  The SLR is great for doggie pics out and about but is bulky, the little one is great for still shots but you don't get the same shutter speeds so a bit slower to turn over. 

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
Thanks everyone - very helpful.  :D

The camera i lost was a Fuji Finepix https://secure.fujifilm.co.uk/shop/consumer/digital/digital-cameras/advanced-compact/finepix-f47fd-9915/View and i was happy with it at the time. Just wanted something around the same size with a bit more power when doing close ups or long distance (zoom). The ones some of you have given me, when iv thought about it seem a bit bulky. I am a person who has the camera in my handbag always, so maybe the canon EOS3500 and the Fuij S81 aren't practical.

Yes Phil you did make sense - i had a sony one when i went to new york that (apparently) had a good shutter speed and the photos from the top of the empire states were fantastic.

Im just on the Fuji website now, seems a good few offers on - what is reconditioned?

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »
On the compact thing, although I'm a Canon fan one of the girls I was in South America with had a Panasonic Lumix compact and I was really impressed with some of the photos it took. I'm going to get a new compact at some stage soon myself and I'm going to look at that one along with the Canons.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/