Author Topic: Feeding Dog for Show Ring.  (Read 1231 times)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Feeding Dog for Show Ring.
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:49:55 AM »
Hiya. Me and my Golden 9mth old boy are just starting out in the Showing world. I feed Royal canin at the moment and have been advised to give him Tripe as well to help bulk him up, which I am and it seems to be working. He has very sparse hair and I am willing it to grow at the moment   :005:  Does anyone have anything they give there dogs for this or anything else people give there dogs to help with showing. All help very much appreciated.  :D 
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Re: Feeding Dog for Show Ring.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »
Try salmon oil, works wonders for the coat  :shades:
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »
Heidi is very like your boy as we've already agreed they are like twins  ;)

I've had her on Yumega for nearly 2 weeks to try and help her coat.  She is now 13 months and finally starting to look less lanky  ::) 

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 01:02:28 PM »
Thanyou for your help I will give them a go. I'm new to all of this, so learning all the time.

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:43:08 PM »
If you are going to try both salmon oil and yumega you need to give 1/2 quantites of each oil...dont give him a full dose of both as he will get upset tummy  ;)

I dont use either for my dogs, but understand that is the recommendation if you want to use both oils.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »
I was going to look into it first, but I was thinking of trying just the Yumega as I think it has the same ingredients as salmon oil in it. I do think that maybe both even in small quantaties would give him a bad tum, but thanks for the advise it's much appreciated.

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 08:51:37 PM »
I think Yumega is flax oil (and starflower?), so not the same oil as Salmon Oil.  The oils have slightly different compositions (Omega 3 is higher in Salmon Oil and I think Yumega is higher in Omega 6? (maybe someone who uses it will know more than me?)).  They will have slightly different effects on the body and coat.  Both are good for skin health, but the Omega 6 will have more influence on the quality of the hair. 

I think some people do use both oils at the same time (especially in their working or older dogs as the salmon oil is particularly good for joints).  I think the same company manufactures SalmoPet and Yumega, so maybe give them a ring...I am sure they can give you more info. than I can

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »
oh OK cheers. Maybe I will give them both a go then. I will look into it first, but thanks for the info. Mostly I just want his hair to Grow, Grow, Grow. I have thought of hair extentions  :005: poor boy.