Author Topic: Royal Canin v James Wellbeloved  (Read 5638 times)

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
Royal Canin v James Wellbeloved
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:15:50 AM »
Dennis (11 months) is currently having James Wellbeloved Adult plus a small amount of Nature Diet in his evening meal - His poos (sorry  ph34r ) are a bit hit and miss between solid and moussey but this could be due to his charming habit of eating cat poo at any given opportunity  >:D ,  Ruby (12 weeks) is on Royal Canin Medium Junior which the breeder was using and a little Nature Diet and has consistently solid poos,
Eventually I would like them on the same food if possible, is there much difference between the two foods? I notice there is a breed specific food by Royal Canin but it only comes in one flavour -  part of the reason I chose James Wellbeloved was that there are 4 Adult flavours for variety.  I do add Nature Diet, pilchards, tuna or chicken to top the evening meal. My husband reckons I worry about feeding the dogs more than the hoomans in the house!!  :lol2:
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline babushka

Re: Royal Canin v James Wellbeloved
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:20:09 AM »
Dogs don't need variety and by adding extras  your upsetting the balance of the food making it too rich. It's us humans that like to add a variety of foods then wonder why our dogs have the trots!

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »
Mines on the Royal Canin Cocker and thats all she has except for the odd treat if we're out.   Shes always been a faddy eater with her food but I've never added food as know she'll end up even worse with not eating the dried food.    She has to eat whats in her bowl or she gets nothing  :shades:

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
I agree. Ollie has Hills Science Plan Puppy food and nothing else, except treats, and a couple of pig noses a week. I wouldn't change and add things to his main diet.

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 05:46:44 PM »
Royal canin for us, since they were 8 weeks old!!
Breeder gave us some food to get s going but alfie has such upset tummy, we went straight to chicken and rice then weaned onto RC

Their coats are gorgeous, shiny and soft too!!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »
Thanks everyone - nutritionally is there much of a difference between James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin ??
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »
i dont know, i know that JWB didnt suit Alfie and Honey and they had terrible numbers 2's !! wasnt good in our hosuehold, or for picking it up! lol
i know Royal canin is a very high energy food, and the vetineary edition has a guarantee against Kidney stones i think?!?!? and its very good for keeping colour in the coats - IE keeping a black dogs fur as black and not with the hints of red, i think!? or that was what i was told!

Its whatever suits your dog really!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
I think it depends what suits your dog, and whether you have any beliefs about certain ingredients?

Both foods have websites that detail the ingredients and nutritional composition of their foods...you can then compare  :blink:

JWB: http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog_food.aspx

Royal Canin: http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/my_pet/dog_products.aspx

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »
I feel suspicious that "breed specific" food is yet another advertising gimmick. Working (really working) dogs obviously benefit from a different mix if they are running all day in the cold. It's like shampoos with different variations. The amount of trendy ingredient is minimal in effect but technically can be promoted as a benefit.
I've never tried RC but like a lot of other people on here have had poo problems with JWB. If you add extras like veg , tinned fish or egg  occasionally, you are feeding real food not just additives. IMO some dogs get bored with dried food, it's unnatural.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline chanellie

• Donator
    • Equine Market Watch Sanctuaries (UK)
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 11:13:27 AM »
I have been recommended RC generally by several people and have been looking at prices etc today as I am desperate for something that could help slim Molly down a little, she is on half rations and plenty of excersise, just seems to be the chubby sort. The RC sounds expensive but actually works out very reasonably ( fed at the correct weights etc) I will see if my local pet shop can get me a small bag to try other than that Petplanet seems cheapest for a big bag.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »
I wouldn't feed either of them ph34r though they are both better foods than the bad stuff like pedigree/bakers etc. i just don't think they compare to other quality makes. I would choose orijen or arden grange over any of the other premium foods. ;) I also don't believe you get what you pay for with either of those... to feed Jarvis JWB cost me a hideous amount and he had problems with sloppy poos etc, feeding a complete diet of orijen (very few treats and only a small amount of leftovers added to his diet) he is in fantastic condition and it only costs me £5 a week to feed my big boy. :D :shades:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline babushka

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 03:23:42 PM »
I agree Beth nasty adds in RC  not enough meat in JW too many cereals, best of bunch for money AG lamb and rice

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »

I agree with Beth...but i would because mine are on Orijen  :005:...to me its the best food mine have ever had  ;)
I had a look on the JWB site and the main ingredient is rice  :huh:  not a great start as the first ingredient  :huh: also the last ingredient is* JWB special ingredient* what is that  :-\ as it doesnt actually say  ::)

Offline keepupwith

• Poppy
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »
Not tried Royal Canin, but just to say we had 'mr whippy' poos with JWB too, yet it was one that was recommended for dogs with possible sensitivities. Interesting that so many people have had the same issue with it.

Pam

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »

We started on JWB - and had no problems at all...  ;)

Have never tried another kibble, so got nothing to compare it with, I'm afraid.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020