Author Topic: What to do when you're in over your head  (Read 8224 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: What to do when you're in over your head
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 12:17:01 AM »
Just to let you know that I am SURE that you will do what is right for you and your family xxxx
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »
Beth

I had no idea things were still tricky with Jarv.   :huh:

I agree with all the other posts.  Maybe start with a behaviourist and take it from there....

You have got such a lot on your plate, I wish I lived nearer as I would take Lucy for you while you sort your boy out.... :luv:

I hope you can take some positive action and get this sorted out soon.  I know you'll do the right thing, whatever it may be.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
Beth, if you want to chat feel free to call me.
PM me if you want my number. :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 10:15:36 AM »
Beth, if you want to chat feel free to call me.
PM me if you want my number. :D

I've PM'd, thanks Mark :-*
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »
Have Pm'd back :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
 :'(  Sorry to read your post Beth, glad you're talking to Mark and hope you can manage to resolve Jarvis's problems.

Thinking of you

Jann and Flo  :luv:

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »
Aw Beth sorry you have problems as you know I have Cocker Annie and Cavvy Maisie (had Maisie first) ....maybe because their both girls Annie has always been submissive to Maisie ( who is a right Princess brat type) so I can't help  just hope it all works out for you
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »
A professional will be able to help identify the root of the problem and can suggest things that will help you manage. Training any dog takes time and patience. Sometimes it can be as simple as a food intolerance....I have known this to be the case for several dogs in my training class who at one time could not stand to be in sight of another dog. Also it may be little things you are doing without knowing that is escalating the situation...someone with experience can help you work through this. Let us know how things go.
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »
Aww Beth, Sorry to hear about the problems you are having with Jarvis. He has never been an easy dog has he. Little Indie's safety must come first and I hope you can get some help with Jarvis.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »
A professional will be able to help identify the root of the problem and can suggest things that will help you manage. Training any dog takes time and patience. Sometimes it can be as simple as a food intolerance....I have known this to be the case for several dogs in my training class who at one time could not stand to be in sight of another dog. Also it may be little things you are doing without knowing that is escalating the situation...someone with experience can help you work through this. Let us know how things go.

I've changed his food a few times since he was a pup and what he's on now suits him perfectly and is very high quality with no nasties, so i don't think this is due to food. Tisn't a simple training issue either, his actual level of obedience isn't too bad, but this is something which has been ongoing since he was tiny, and he really was tiny, he started showing guarding behaviour just a few weeks after i bought him home. :-\ I am certain that i'm not helping the situation, and this is where i'm stuck and need help, i can manage him well, i know him well enough to identify his triggers, but it's whether or not i can actually get to the root of his problems and change him into a safe dog which is concerning me... :-\
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 04:08:44 PM »
Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. Jet too has guarding issues and can be just downright disobedient  >:D We have been and are continuing to work with him and things are improving all the time (but gradually). I think the big difference here is that my youngest child is 17 and 6ft 2 so I don't have to worry about interactions with him. I'm sure Topbarks can give ou some excellent advice.  :luv: :luv:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 04:20:51 PM »
Hello Beth
I can't add anything to what has already been said, but just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and Jarvis too  :-*
Claire

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 04:27:54 PM »
So sorry to hear you are still having probs with Jarvis, I've been through it with Ben in the past.  

Don't know if this applies not  :huh: but it took a behaviourist to point out that I was triggering and escalating some of Bens behaviours unknowingly.  I used to tense up if children or dogs or anything I though might start him off 'on one' came too close, as I knew what he was capable of doing, and he took this as a cue to get more wound up.
The more anxious I got, the worse he was  :huh:  I know you are a more experienced dog owner than I was when we had Ben, so you are probably more 'sorted' than I was and I am sure you are already aware of this, but I do know I used to anticipate his behaviour and things are much much better now I've taken a step back.

I do hope you can get some help and get sorted, its not much fun is it when you feel on your guard all the time, especially when you know what a lovely dog he can be :luv: and what sort of relationship you can have.
Bens mum

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 06:09:54 PM »

Let us know how you get on Beth and really hope you can find a solution  :-*

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 06:13:08 PM »
So sorry to hear you are still having probs with Jarvis, I've been through it with Ben in the past.  

Don't know if this applies not  :huh: but it took a behaviourist to point out that I was triggering and escalating some of Bens behaviours unknowingly.  I used to tense up if children or dogs or anything I though might start him off 'on one' came too close, as I knew what he was capable of doing, and he took this as a cue to get more wound up.
The more anxious I got, the worse he was  :huh:  I know you are a more experienced dog owner than I was when we had Ben, so you are probably more 'sorted' than I was and I am sure you are already aware of this, but I do know I used to anticipate his behaviour and things are much much better now I've taken a step back.

I do hope you can get some help and get sorted, its not much fun is it when you feel on your guard all the time, especially when you know what a lovely dog he can be :luv: and what sort of relationship you can have.
Bens mum

I was wondering along the same lines too....and from your post Beth I think this is really (obviously  ::) ) getting you down.

Think you need a fresh pairs of eyes and some support  ;)

:-* :-* :-*
helen & jarvis x