Author Topic: Bad day!  (Read 3258 times)

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
Re: Bad day!
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »
Nice to hear the up date!!

well done jayne and oscar!

L&O x

Offline Jayne_S

• Oscar
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »
Thanks and a big thank you to Mark  :D

It was lovely to watch, extremely proud of my boy!  After Mark left, Oscar sat by my feet very devoted like.  I'm so relieved that his 'issues' are not as extreme as I was dreading. 

I've been a lot more relaxed and focussed the last few days which I'm sure makes a difference. 

Offline Jayne_S

• Oscar
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 07:35:14 PM »

Can't believe it; had my hairdresser round tonight and Oscar was fab  :D  Barked a little, but did what Mark suggested and within 20 minutes he was laid on the floor near us and fell asleep  :angel:  Couple of weeks back he would have barked the house down until the person left!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »

Great News!!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 09:49:06 PM »

Can't believe it; had my hairdresser round tonight and Oscar was fab  :D  Barked a little, but did what Mark suggested and within 20 minutes he was laid on the floor near us and fell asleep  :angel:  Couple of weeks back he would have barked the house down until the person left!

Just brilliant!!!!! :shades: :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
Well done Jayne, Oscar and Mark  ;)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Lis

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »
Hi Jayne - I would be interested to know how you got Oscar to settle if you wouldn't mind sharing, I know all dogs are different but it would be good to hear your experience. 

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »
We just gave Oscar some distance from things he found uncomfortable. Jayne was shushing him and trying to calm him in a place where he felt uncomfortable but giving him the option of moving away made him feel more comfortable.
Oscar has also been on Zylkene for around a month now.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Jayne_S

• Oscar
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »
Hi Jayne - I would be interested to know how you got Oscar to settle if you wouldn't mind sharing, I know all dogs are different but it would be good to hear your experience. 

Sorry I not been online for a few days!  I've also tried to make a conscious effort to be more focussed.  I think when we were having the 'bad days' I kinda let it take over, and then we had a bad experience at the vets and I was just full of negative thoughts.  I'm sure it does make a difference, I've also taken more time out to have 'fun' with him after work, he's with my dad through the day; kids still come 1st, its a learning experience for all of us as they aren't used to sharing me and now they have Oscar wiggling his way to get to me too!

I'm looking closer at Oscar, trying to see the signs in his body language to try and recognise if he's tense/anxious and been talking to him a lot more on walks, he's barked at people with walking sticks before, as I see someone approaching with a stick now I just keep walking and talk to him and if he's good/quiet and ignores them I praise him a lot, its worked a couple of times

It's hard work, maybe its just trying to find what works for your dog.  Mark advised me that if Oscar shows signs of anxiety walk him away, come back and if he's quiet and relaxed, reward him (sure I've remembered that right!)

As Mark said Oscar's on Zylkene, I also bought a DAP diffuser about a week ago.