Author Topic: Worried, need some advice  (Read 790 times)

Offline Sarah16

• Site Member
  • Mollie
Worried, need some advice
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:00:26 PM »
Sorry, in advance, this could be a bit of a long post.

For the last week and a half I have been looking after my mums working cocker, Rosie. My stepfather died 4 weeks ago and she became very clingy with my mum, then two weeks ago my Grandad died and my mum wanted to spend some time with my Nan as she is very frail and we are all worried about how she will cope. Because Rosie is quite lively my mum thought it better not to take Rosie as my nan has Pakinsons and it would be too much. To start of with my brother had Rosie, but she was terrified of his Labradoodle and kept going for him, so then my other sister had her because she hasn't got dogs and thought she would cope in a dog free houshold, well my sister was only able to take her for on lead walks as there was no secure areas to let her off. After a few days she became quite boistrous as she needed more stimulation, so I said I would have her. Even though she has always enjoyed playing with Mollie she has now started to snap and snarl at her sometimes whereas Pippa, she seems to be completely frightened of her and does her best to stay out of her way. On Tuesday I had to put the 3 of them in kennels while we went upto the Midlands to my Grandads funeral. As Mollie has been in kennels before and is fine with it, I made the decision to put her and Rosie together and Pippa on her own. When I went to pick them up today and they said that Mollie and Pippa were fine, but Rosie seemed really stressed, barked everytime anyone came in and then wet herself and a few time she had had a go at Mollie for no reason, but Mollie seemed to be able to defuse it.

Since being home Rosie keeps weeing around the house, whingeing, barking, pacing and snapping at Mollie and Pippa if they walk near. Tomorrow I have got to go to work in the morning and will be gone for about 4 hours and I'm not sure what to do as I crate Pippa, but Mollie and Rosie are left loose in the kitchen. At the moment I am trying to ignore Rosies behaviour in the hope whe will settle down. Rosie could be with us for another couple a weeks or so, so I need to try to make this work the best I can.

Pippa

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Worried, need some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »

Rosie couldn't be due a season, could she??

If not, I think it sounds like she's just feeling very disorientated, as she's moved about a lot in a short space of time... if this is the case, hopefully things will settle down...  :-\

If Mollie isn't stressed by Rosie, I think your current arrangement sounds the best, as if Mollie can diffuse any aggro from Rosie, Rosie may start to feel more secure again....

Maybe doing some clicker training or something with Rosie will help her feel more settled, too (or at least tire her out, so she's less likely to whine and pace)...  :huh:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 04:57:35 PM »
I wonder if she is picking up any stress from those around her due to the bereavements?  Maybe rescue remedy would help settle her a little :-\

so sorry to hear about your losses, it must be a very hard time for your family :-*

x In memory of Barney x

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:26:16 PM »
i agree with above and rescue remedy might help, remember she doesnt know what is going on and is probably stressed herself, sorry to hear about your families losses, it must be very stressful for you all   :-*
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
You would expect her to be stressed with all those changes. There are also DAP diffusers/collars. And a couple of people on COL have used Zylkene with success.

Millie