Author Topic: Worried about Alfie - again!  (Read 2550 times)

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Worried about Alfie - again!
« on: May 30, 2009, 02:48:10 PM »
Oh dog! Dont know where to start really. Alfie just seems to be getting grumpier and grumpier. We went from having a dog who was agressive to strange dogs, to one who growls at all passers by, to one who growled and barked at Purdey to one who now growls continuously, and who air snaps at me and the kids!

In the evenings we have practically given up watching TV because all we can hear is continous growling from Alfie. If Purdey goes within a few feet of him he lunges at her. We've tried DAP, PetSpec Calmer, Zylkene, Valerian all to no avail. We've been following the advice of a behaviourist for a few weeks and if anything he has got worse. Our useless vet has done every conceivable bloodtest and found nothing wrong. Painkiller seem to help a tiny bit, but not a lot.

Physically I am quite worried about him. He seems a little slower in his movements and even 7 yr old DD asked why he was going up the stairs so slowly. His coat is greasy and he is sleeping a lot. He is only 4 years old but looks and acts like a 14 year old dog!

Ive had a really good vet recommended today, so first thing monday Im going to get Alfie booked in to see him for a second opinion, because Im sure our vet has missed something important.

Im so worried, I dont know what to do. DD is scared to go anywhere near him, Purdey's life is a misery because he constantly growls at her, and OH and I are taking out our worry on each other  :'( :'(

Not looking for any advice really, but just needed to cry on some virtual shoulders!!  :'(

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
Re: Worried about Alfie - again!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:54:31 PM »
I have no advice to give ... just wanted to offer a virtual hug. Sorry you are having such a tough time with Alfie. It does sound like their is something physical going on doesn't it? With the stiffness and coat changes ... not that I know much. Really hope your new vet can shed some light

xx

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:55:53 PM »
virtual shoulders here.
So sorry things haven't improved. He you can get some answers on Monday. :D
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Boof

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »
I have no advice to give ... just wanted to offer a virtual hug. Sorry you are having such a tough time with Alfie. It does sound like their is something physical going on doesn't it? With the stiffness and coat changes ... not that I know much. Really hope your new vet can shed some light

xx

Agreed.

Hopefully the vet can shed some light on the problem. Thinking of you & Alfie :luv:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:29:09 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that Alfie seems to be getting worse.  Having lived with a 'difficult' dog, I know what you are going through :bigarmhug: 
It really does sound to me like something is bothering him, I hope the new vet can help find out if that is the case :luv:

Take care xxx

x In memory of Barney x

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 03:37:32 PM »
Hugs to you all and good luck for monday :luv: ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »

Sorry things seem to be getting worse with Alfie... I agree that seeing another vet is a good plan, it really does sound like something's going on health-wise from what you say!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 06:20:04 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear this too, poor you and poor Alfie, it does sound like there is some underlying health issue which is causing him to act like this. I think that going to see a different vet is definitely a good idea if yours isn't up to much and I really hope you can get to the bottom of what's bothering him, he's a very lucky boy that he ended up in your family :luv: :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »
So sorry to hear about Alfies continuing problems - it must be very worrying indeed.  Good move I think going to a different vet but my money would be on a food allergy.  Hope you get somewhere - keep us posted. :-*

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »
not sure if this has been suggested before but can you try giving bachs rescue remedy just to calm him a little until he sees the vet  and giving him hypoallergenic food , has his teeth been thoroughly checked, toothache would make him bad tempered, i really hope you can get to the cause of his behaviour
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 07:48:53 PM »
Lots of virtual hugs flying to you from here.  Really hope the vet can sort Alfie's problems out.  Lots of love to Purdey too.

Offline babushka

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »
My bet would be something to do with his thyroid. I've known humans with his symptoms. I think you do right to get a second opinion.

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 08:57:12 PM »
Thanks for some really great comments and support!

So sorry to hear about Alfies continuing problems - it must be very worrying indeed.  Good move I think going to a different vet but my money would be on a food allergy.  Hope you get somewhere - keep us posted. :-*

We've tried him on lots of different foods (at least a month on each) , Arden Grange, JWB etc - no difference  ::)

My bet would be something to do with his thyroid. I've known humans with his symptoms. I think you do right to get a second opinion.

We've had FULL bloods done, including the extra one for thyroid, but aparently all normal. Its always been my no.1 suspicion too, but the vet was adamant it wasnt that and so I doubt he looked at the results that clearly (and as others on here have experienced, very low level changes can cause huge issues)! He kept referring to the fact Alfie's fur was thick so it "couldnt be thyroid" , but from my reading it turns out only about 30% of thyroid cases affect the fur! Alfie is putting on huge amounts of weight despite the fact he is on AG Light and I weigh all his meals, (and he is not even finishing what I put down for him!) and he now looks REALLY fat! He's gained 1.5kg in the last 2 months  :o

This new vet is supposed to be really hot on osteopathy/soft tissue injuries etc too and is also very up on complementary medicines, so I have high hopes he can help my baby  :luv:

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »
Have you looked into brain tumours or Cushings Disease? Sorry to hear about Alfie.

Offline haggerty

• Cocker Spaniels rule :) x
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 11:46:45 PM »
So sorry to hear Alfie is being grumpy!
Sometimes l feel that dogs are trying to tell you sonething!
Has his routinue changed, or his food? maybe something has unsettled him?
My friends dog had a thyroid condition an dhad similar symptoms
I really hope that you can find out what the problem is ???
Sending lots of positive thoughts
:LOL Lisa xxxx
Crazy charlie

x