Author Topic: I can't control him!!! :(  (Read 9056 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Re: I can't control him!!! :(
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2009, 08:00:34 PM »
But why is how I am with Ollie related to my college studies? They are completely different.

Offline LOOBIE

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
have read this thread and others of Laura's with interest and have always held back on comments but feel that perhaps Laura causes a lot of ill feeling amongst other cocker owners, asks for advise but then revolts against it so wouldn't it be better if either Laura did as she said and took herself away from the boards or frustrated others bit their tongues and just didn't get involved with help, no matter hard it was to ignore Laura and Ollie i really feel sometimes she really antaganises folks

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »
But why is how I am with Ollie related to my college studies? They are completely different.

You are planning on studying Animal Behaviour, aren't you?   :huh: Ollie is an animal, so what you learn will apply to him, too ...... ::)

Take a look at some of Marks (Top Barks) videos - how do you think he achieves those remarkable feats with his own dogs....? He applies what he has learnt through his studies at home, as well as with his clients   ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »
Because you refuse to read a book about a training method that could help you when you have posted on here asking for help. :dunno:

Laura - many people on here have spent their valuable time trying to help you for nearly a year now, giving you tips and advice which you could have found in a book if you could be bothered to find out for yourself instead of just asking on here.  :shades: You were adamant you wouldn't go to puppy training, you threatened to rehome him, then you were adamant you would never let Ollie off lead and now you are determined that clicker training is rubbish because they managed without it in the olden days  ::)  Well a lot of things have actually improved since the olden days.  ;)

Clearly you are not managing, people are trying to help and you are acting like a petulant teenager - OK you are a teenager but we are not your parents we do not have to put up with it so it would help if you could have the courtesy not to dismiss suggestions that are made to you by people who have far more knowledge and experience than you do.  :shades:

If you ask for advice and you are given it, we do not expect to have to enter into an argument with you to justify what we already know  >:(

I am giving up on this thread now as, like most of your threads, it is going round in circles.  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »
Because you refuse to read a book about a training method that could help you when you have posted on here asking for help. :dunno:

Laura - many people on here have spent their valuable time trying to help you for nearly a year now, giving you tips and advice which you could have found in a book if you could be bothered to find out for yourself instead of just asking on here.  :shades: You were adamant you wouldn't go to puppy training, you threatened to rehome him, then you were adamant you would never let Ollie off lead and now you are determined that clicker training is rubbish because they managed without it in the olden days  ::)  Well a lot of things have actually improved since the olden days.  ;)

Clearly you are not managing, people are trying to help and you are acting like a petulant teenager - OK you are a teenager but we are not your parents we do not have to put up with it so it would help if you could have the courtesy not to dismiss suggestions that are made to you by people who have far more knowledge and experience than you do.  :shades:

If you ask for advice and you are given it, we do not expect to have to enter into an argument with you to justify what we already know  >
l
I am giving up on this thread now as, like most of your threads, it is going round in circles.  >:(

You saved me lots of writing there Joules  ;) but i do agree with everything you have written...i am bowing out too  ::) although i will say i think you get frustrated with ollie and your family and we are your punch bag to relieve your frustrations  :-\
 Perhaps for your next pet you should consider a goldfish  :huh:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2009, 08:37:55 PM »

If you ask for advice and you are given it, we do not expect to have to enter into an argument with you to justify what we already know  >
l

You saved me lots of writing there Joules  ;) but i do agree with everything you have written...i am bowing out too  ::) although i will say i think you get frustrated with ollie and your family and we are your punch bag to relieve your frustrations  :-\
 Perhaps for your next pet you should consider a goldfish  :huh:

Ditto, I'm never posting a reply again to these posts.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2009, 08:58:38 PM »

Hi Laura

I haven't had much to say on your threads before, but I have just read this one with interest.

Your comment above?.........you are the common denominator. You feature in your studies and you feature in Ollie's training.

If you have a commitment and interest in learning as far as your course goes, then it would be reasonable to expect the same sort of attitude to your dog.

Also, as far as your comment about clicker training and preferring to use a reward  instead......I think that is basically all clicker training is. But the clicker allows Ollie to pin point exactly what it is you are rewarding (i.e. the behaviour he has carried out immediately before the click). So if he shakes his head and you click (then treat, of course), and then do the same thing every time he shakes his head, then he will know that by shaking his head he can expect a click and treat from you. Then you introduce a name for the behaviour so that once he has learnt that you can get him to shake his head on command. Easy, huh?

Now you can do it without a clicker. You can say "yes" in a particular tone instead, or snap your fingers if you like. But the system is the same. The main advantage of using a clicker is that anyone can use it and it will sound the same to Ollie, and of course it is not a sound he is likely to hear "by accident" in any other situation (such as you yelling "yes" when your team scores a goal or whatever).

Anyway, you have the great privilege of owning a fabulous young dog. But you do need to remember that with every privilege comes responsibility.And that means taking yourself out of your comfort zone sometimes and doing things you might not feel like doing. Also, of course, asking for advice isn't really just a tool to get some sympathy or comfort. It's about receiving the advice and doing something with it. What you do is your decision, but you have to understand that if people take the time to give advice, they would want to see more consideration for what they are advising. Rejecting advice merely because you don't like to be told what to do is a bit silly really.

I really do hope you can sort things out. I would be interested to know how much, and what your parents physically do for Ollie when you aren't at home.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »
Right, I'm REALLY sticking my neck out here  ph34r >:(
I have followed your posts Laura since you joined COL, I believe I might have been the first person to ask your name. I have stood up for you to the extent that I got into a very unpleasant pming session with another member on your behalf, because I thought this person was being unfair to you. I REALLY regret this now. I have read some of these replies to your posts with total amazement, that people are prepared to take the time to try and help you, even in the face of other members getting riled with you. You have had some wonderful advice on this forum, much of which I've learnt from myself.
I totally acknowledge the fact that you're young, but please don't use  your teenage years as an excuse for not listening or paying heed to what other people are saying to you.
Otherwise don't ask us.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline LOOBIE

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »
Right, I'm REALLY sticking my neck out here  ph34r >:(
I have followed your posts Laura since you joined COL, I believe I might have been the first person to ask your name. I have stood up for you to the extent that I got into a very unpleasant pming session with another member on your behalf, because I thought this person was being unfair to you. I REALLY regret this now. I have read some of these replies to your posts with total amazement, that people are prepared to take the time to try and help you, even in the face of other members getting riled with you. You have had some wonderful advice on this forum, much of which I've learnt from myself.
I totally acknowledge the fact that you're young, but please don't use  your teenage years as an excuse for not listening or paying heed to what other people are saying to you.
Otherwise don't ask us.
I couldn't have put it better and totally agree with you on this, I am a fairly new cockerowner, just over a year and this site, and the help given have been invaluable, I have had ups and downs but I love my dog unconditionally and I'm 100% that love is returned

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2009, 11:00:55 PM »
I appreciate everyone's frustration but think this thread has run it's course now and is best locked. Laura has been given lots of good advice by many people on numerous different threads but ultimately it's down to her if she acts on any of it.

I'm not sure why reading a book would be any different to reading posts on a forum but if you change your mind Laura there's plenty of recommendations on THIS thread that may not just help you but Ollie too.