Author Topic: feeding dogs human food from your plates...  (Read 4844 times)

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: feeding dogs human food from your plates...
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »
Morgan never gets any of our food at all. He lies under the dining table when we're eating but that's as close as he gets. He'll quite happily sit at one end of the sofa while I'm having a sandwich or a bowl of pasta and totally ignore me.  :angel: The only human food that gets him really excited is cheese as we were encouraged to use it for treats at his puppy class, and he lurks at my feet in the kitchen whenever I'm cutting it up. We don't use cheese for him anymore, he's discovered livercake  ;)

I don't want him to get too interested when I'm preparing meals in the kitchen. As it is he thinks the fridge is the "carrot place" and the freezer is the "chicken wing place" and comes racing in whenever he hears me opening them!  :005:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »
Were mean parents  :lol2: we don't feed ours from the plate when were eating and they don't bother us as a result... i think if we did they would beg..when my dad was doing some work at our house he used to give them titbits when he was eating his pack lunch and then moaned every day after when they wouldn't leave him alone when he was eating  ::)

I don't think it's mean at all, it works for us, but equally I can see how it wouldn't work for others  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Dream Girl

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 11:50:52 PM »
Well my mum's old working spaniel (9 years old) is a nightmare. She barks as soon as we have finished a meal and will not stop until she knows there is nothing on the plate. She has been known to pinch sandwiches out of people's hands on picnics and everytime it gets sunny and we're in the park, she has to go on her lead (she knows all the right picnic spots and is impossible to control). She once barged into a neighbours house; their child was happily sitting on the sitting room floor eating his sandwiches and the dog cleared his plate - we were mortified >:( She will also launch herself onto worktops and tables to grab anything - it doesnt matter if it's on your plate and it's all about chosing the right moment when no one is looking. You can imagine what her waist line is like and we constantly struggle to keep her weight under control. She thinks about food from the moment she gets up till she goes to bed. She would be a great sniffer dog at a US airport - trouble is she would eat whatever she sniffed out. :D

With all this in mind, I have been quite strict with the pup, imagining this food obsession was a spaniel thing, but the new one is good and never really bothers for food. Phew

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 12:00:47 AM »
Max doesn't pay any interest whilst we're eating at the table & I have never fed him from the table & have to tell friends not to. (not that they listen!).  But it proves a point as when 1 friend in particular comes round for a meal Max will also sit next to him and wait.
Max will watch OH eating a bacon sandwich at the weekend if he eats it in the lounge, who will occassionally put a scrap in his bowl when he's finished, again he never bothers watching me as he knows I'm greedy & he gets nothing from me  :005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »

We started out not giving any tit-bits.... and if we are eating at the table, she doesn't get anything... (she will sometimes pester us for play, but she never expects food).

Away from the table is another matter, though... try as we might, we just couldn't stop her bouncing all over us to get at our food, so we tried the different tack of giving her a treat IF she was lying down calmly... she is 100% better, knowing she may well get her treat when we are done.... she doesn't get it often (as we eat a lot of spicey food) but she does now expect the corner of a piece of toast, a bit of pizza crust or a yoghurt pot (though she's not that fussed if she doesn't get it!). 

I think the problem with begging dogs is when people feed in response to the begging, rather than in response to quiet unobtrusive behaviour.  Now, ok, Honey sometimes does the Cocker shuffle and a few whines if we are taking too long eating (especially if we are eating before her), but equally often she'll fall asleep on the sofa...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 08:23:19 AM »
Well my mum's old working spaniel (9 years old) is a nightmare. She barks as soon as we have finished a meal and will not stop until she knows there is nothing on the plate. She has been known to pinch sandwiches out of people's hands on picnics and everytime it gets sunny and we're in the park, she has to go on her lead (she knows all the right picnic spots and is impossible to control). She once barged into a neighbours house; their child was happily sitting on the sitting room floor eating his sandwiches and the dog cleared his plate - we were mortified >:( She will also launch herself onto worktops and tables to grab anything - it doesnt matter if it's on your plate and it's all about chosing the right moment when no one is looking. You can imagine what her waist line is like and we constantly struggle to keep her weight under control. She thinks about food from the moment she gets up till she goes to bed.
This could be Coco - I don't think she will ever be calm around food.  ::)   She has no shame and is a complete opportunist  >:(  She will steal food out of your hand, mug small children in the park, raid picnics and steal stuff off the table/worktop if she can manage it.  She will break out of the garden to steal food from the chickens, if she can get in when there is cat food down, she will have that - you get the picture. She is a flipping nightmare  >:(   I have never fed her from the table either but it has not made her any better behaved around food.   >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »
Same as many of you we do give our two 'dog tax' on our meals and whilst they will stare at you intently if sat on a sofa or whatever they will not bother you for it and they don't always get...I'll be honest since I started dieting they get less and less off my plate  ph34r.

Sally is a food stealer now, after she got spayed she turned into a horse but she'll not try and get it whilst you are in the room and if you tell her to leave it while you nip out she'll not touch it so I don't think feeding her scraps makes a blind bit of difference to this. Glen's happier with paper and is more likely to nick your book then your grub  :005: :005:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »
I always gave Gari the last bit of toast or whatever, and he would just sit quietly and wait for it, as I got to the end he would start creeping towards me. :005:

I decided not to give Duggie anything from my plate, but he jumps up, barks at me and drinks my tea! :o

So, I think I may start making him sit and wait and then give him something right at the end as a reward.  Not sure if that will work or if it's just luck. :-\

He He, I always have to make sure my drink is not in reachable places if I have to leave it, either of my two little dears would happily empty the contents.  :005: They do sit/lay while I am eating tho and they usually get a small piece once I have finished - if food is not dog friendly, they get a small biscuit bone instead.  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 02:19:43 PM »
She has been known to pinch sandwiches out of people's hands on picnics and everytime it gets sunny and we're in the park, she has to go on her lead (she knows all the right picnic spots and is impossible to control).
:lol2:
Anytime anyone was eating in the park, I would turn around and there would be Gari sitting in front of them just watching and waiting for a bit. It was so funny, as the picnickers would never know what to do, they would just sit there and try to pretend he wasn't there. :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »
Well my mum's old working spaniel (9 years old) is a nightmare. She barks as soon as we have finished a meal and will not stop until she knows there is nothing on the plate. She has been known to pinch sandwiches out of people's hands on picnics and everytime it gets sunny and we're in the park, she has to go on her lead (she knows all the right picnic spots and is impossible to control). She once barged into a neighbours house; their child was happily sitting on the sitting room floor eating his sandwiches and the dog cleared his plate - we were mortified >:( She will also launch herself onto worktops and tables to grab anything - it doesnt matter if it's on your plate and it's all about chosing the right moment when no one is looking. You can imagine what her waist line is like and we constantly struggle to keep her weight under control. She thinks about food from the moment she gets up till she goes to bed. She would be a great sniffer dog at a US airport - trouble is she would eat whatever she sniffed out. :D

With all this in mind, I have been quite strict with the pup, imagining this food obsession was a spaniel thing, but the new one is good and never really bothers for food. Phew

DITTO!!!!  :005: Our first rescue cocker was such a nightmare around food and so overweight when she came we struggled with food issues all her life - we too are taking the 'hard line' with our puppy - he gets his own dinners and training treats and the odd chew but no 'human' food off plate or otherwise. He is starting to get interested if you eat on your lap though and tries to jump on the sofa!
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 02:36:20 PM »
In my experience, it's totally down to the dog. Both my pups were treated the same way which was initially I don't feed them from the table as I don't think that's fair on them or gives them a very clear message, but as they've grown up and learnt the rules I've relaxed things and they get the odd thing. They don't always though and they know if we ask them to go away and lay down we mean it so they do. However, this journey has been very different for both dogs - Trev was always VERY polite and although loved food passionately never nicked anything and I could leave a plate of food on the floor with him and go out, and he wouldn't touch it. Dave, who had exactly the same treatment nicks anything he can and is brilliant at it and can't be trusted. However, he doesn't beg because he's never been allowed to and I do now give him the odd thing from the table because he's reached an age where he 'gets it' now.

I don't think it's feeding from the table that encourages begging as such but more sticking with what you say. If they beg, they don't get food. If they are told to go to their beds whilst we're eating... we mean it and they know that. If however, you sometimes give in to begging or don't enforce a command you've given, that's when you're asking for trouble I think.

I don't know Normy's background from a pup but she has excellent manners too. She tried it on a bit when we first got her (she actually ate a whole chocolate cake that I'd made for my sons birthday  ::) ph34r) but since then, she's never put a paw out of place and I can give her scraps or tell her to go to her bed. Neither of mine will hassle for food.

I'm not convinced that Jarv doesn't hassle you because he knows he's going to get it anyway though - based on the fact that mine don't hassle even though they don't always get it and at times, rarely get scraps... iyswim :lol:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 03:01:40 PM »
I share pretty much everything (dog frendly) I eat with Giz, usually waiting until the end but sometimes in the mid time. i know many would frown upon that but it doesn't bother me and I like to share with her. The only bad result is if someone else is eating she will sit by them (looking longingly but no more) but if I call her away she will come. If she begs she doesn't get anything

I don't want a spoilt dog but I kinda feel life is too short not to see her happy face when she gets a tit-bit and it makes me happy to talk to her and share with her when i'm eating alone  :blink:

The benefit is that if there is something I want her to eat that she turns her nose up at I just pretend i'm eating it and she wants it  ;)  :005:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline mcphee

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 03:31:30 PM »
It's tricky this. I had to train Rufus never to beg at the dining table when I was fostering(children)e. On of the things I had to do was help youngsters with things like proper meal times so every meal with the foster kids I had had to be at a table, and no one was allowed to give Rufus anything. We had to be careful because some children have been badly damaged and will try and take out things on pets. This means they are told they must not give anything to the dog. So Rufus is fine at table. However, he will try and mug me in the kitchen or living room if I am on my own and eating in front of the telly. I say no, and only give him something dog friendly at the end. If he paws at my leg when I am in the kitchen, I offer him some onion or cabbage or something I know he doesn't like and he soon goes away in a huff. He does like a bowl of pasta and a roast now and then but these are always served in a spaniel bowl in the utility room where he eats at the same time as we are eating.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
Feed dogs human food from my plate? I wouldn't dream of it! :o

Mum, you're telling porkies, you've even tried to train me to use a knife & fork ;)

but it's much easier just tucking in!

Actually, this is a one off from when we had our recent New Forest mini meet, I'd picked Halle up for a cuddle and being the opportunist she had my ham scraps off the plate in the blink of an eye. :o :005:

At home they might get the odd corner of toast or better still a little bit of naan bread, but they are never, ever fed from the table as I know Neneh would just eye ball me the whole time. >:(

I agree as has been said it is down to the individual dog.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »

DITTO!!!!  :005: Our first rescue cocker was such a nightmare around food and so overweight when she came we struggled with food issues all her life - we too are taking the 'hard line' with our puppy - he gets his own dinners and training treats and the odd chew but no 'human' food off plate or otherwise. He is starting to get interested if you eat on your lap though and tries to jump on the sofa!
this was Ella when we first had her, and i have had to rearrange the kitchen so she cant jump onto the kitchen table and run along the work tops, shes alot better now as she would just snatch food from your hand, though she was very gentle taking treats etc,im never going to be able to trust her like my other two, i can leave a plate of food on the coffee table and go out of the room and they wouldnt touch it, but they do get some of every dog friendly food i eat and always have done, they wait patiently til ive finished and Bruno can somehow tell without looking when we are on the last few bites of something and he will then come over and wait for his bit , though since weve had 3 they are more competetive   :D
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy