Author Topic: feeding dogs human food from your plates...  (Read 4843 times)

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
Re: feeding dogs human food from your plates...
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 05:45:53 PM »
I very rarely feed from the plate. My biggest pet hate when it comes to dogs is scrounging! They get told to go and lie down and aren't allowed to sit or lie right in front of me. Lily and Arwen are very good and just go somewhere else. Krum watches closely from afar and Lyra does all she can to creep forward to wherever the food is! if I was to leave a plat of food on a table unattended I can guarantee it would be gone in half a second thanks to Lyra or Lily. The other two would think about it for a second but by that time would be too late!  :005:

As soon as the last bite of a meal is finished they are straight back up on the sofa for cuddles. I barely get a chance to swallow!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 05:55:33 PM »

Dylan and Jessie are not fed from our plates at the table.  They will lie down quietly near the table but they are not dribbling or pestering for food. Though when our daughter-in-law was here, Dylan took a bite out of her bagel when she had left it too near the edge of the table. OH does give them a piece of carrot when preparing the veg for dinner, but I won't do that. So when I am preparing dinner they never bother to come in the kitchen, they know they are never going to be given food.   Dylan does tend to sit in front of OH if he is sat in a chair having a sandwich, but never bothers me for food, because he knows he is not going to get anything. 

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »
I have created a load of scavengers but don't really care my lot all get suitable table scraps ph34r
 I'm a bad and norty Dog trainer. ph34r

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 06:24:07 PM »
I have created a load of scavengers but don't really care my lot all get suitable table scraps ph34r

Tut tut go and stand in the 'bad and norty dog trainer' corner  :005:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »

OK I'm off trudge trudge, tail firmly between my legs :005:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »

OK I'm off trudge trudge, tail firmly between my legs :005:

Bet if someone offers you a treat you won't stay there long.

Offline black taz

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
My OH gives Kelly titbits from his plate as he is eating.  I used to until we had Taz and i didnt fancy two of them sitting in front of my pawing me whilst i ate.  So now Kelly sits in front of Paul waiting and tapping him, and Taz sits lays next to me without even looking at my plate (although we did have an incident once of him laying in my plate of pasta!).  I tend to leave them both a little bit of meat and give it to them when i take my plate back into the kitchen,

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 06:42:26 PM »

but I've seen your dogs around food and they don't (in my eyes) scavenge :dunno:

helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »

but I've seen your dogs around food and they don't (in my eyes) scavenge :dunno:

Nope, they have nothing on my little girl  :shades: :005:  I am a very bad doggy mum  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 06:45:29 PM »

Nope, they have nothing on my little girl  :shades: :005:  I am a very bad doggy mum  :-\

I think it is down to the individual dog and I reckon girls are worse than boys :rofl1:  Must be that cunning streak they have  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
We never eat at the table, probably because I havent got one  :005: so we eat on our laps, I sit on the two seater, and the Orange Boy sits right beside me, he dosent steal food from my plate and moe often than not will doze whilst im eating  :luv: He knows he will always get something and ive sometimes had to nudge him awake to give it to him  :005:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 07:42:12 PM »

Context specific scavenging then, only when we are having a TV dinner :005:

Offline mcphee

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »
We never eat at the table, probably because I havent got one  :005: so we eat on our laps, I sit on the two seater, and the Orange Boy sits right beside me, he dosent steal food from my plate and moe often than not will doze whilst im eating  :luv: He knows he will always get something and ive sometimes had to nudge him awake to give it to him  :005:
Lemmy old man, Ruf here. Guess what? nearly got my paws on three small pork pies the old woman left on the sofa when she got up to get the sharp feline thing in it's box. (he! he! off to the vets!) Shame she remembered. I smelt them when I was upstairs and she found me just as... Never mind, now she knows you are allowed to sit by your human, I will make her feel guilty. But I am unable to be as good as you, so I might have to have a nibble! Wish me luck! Ruf.

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 08:09:05 PM »
Darcey gets bits, but only when she lies quietly. She sometimes does this perfectly and without a prompt, and sometimes not  ph34r  Today she has been particularly hateful and actually jumped up to try to snaffle my ham sarnie off my plate on the dining table  >:D

I didn't used to be able to eat anything at all sat on the sofa but she is better now, she will lie in front of me till I'm finished and then she gets a suitable scrap. It does mean that every meal is spent with woeful cocker eyes boring into me! Funny thing is that she doesn't care what she gets. She will beg all through a roast chicken dinner and then be perfectly delighted with a piece of brocolli.

I have to say I am delighted that I am not the only CoLer who feeds her doglet from her plate  ph34r

Offline WarwickshireFlyball

• K925 Pet Services
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
We don't have a table either Kalu - came home from work one day and it had vanished... o/h had put it in the loft to 'teach me not to leave my junk all over it!'
Ours sometimes get a bit when we have finished, but we encourage them to stay away and ignore us while we are eating. If I am cooking then Greg has a few veggie scraps, Toby will turn his nose up at them though - fussy boy! They don't take stuff if we put it down - my younger cousin put a roast beef dinner right next to Toby on the floor when we were visiting then went to get a drink and he didn't so much as sniff it (but if there's something on a walk he finds and fancies then that's a different matter and he forgets all 'leave' commands  ;)