Author Topic: feeding dogs human food from your plates...  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
Re: feeding dogs human food from your plates...
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2009, 08:30:26 PM »
We have always given them treats from our plates after we have finished especially my OH who used to leave 3 little bits of something. However after Holly died from pancreatitis our guilt is such that Poppy and Rosie now only have their own food and we try to keep this as low fat as possible and now they don't get pigs ears as these apparently are extremly high fat.
We still get spaniel eyes and that makes you feel mean!!

Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2009, 10:48:44 PM »
She has been known to pinch sandwiches out of people's hands on picnics and everytime it gets sunny and we're in the park, she has to go on her lead (she knows all the right picnic spots and is impossible to control).

This made me smile.  A couple of weeks ago I was in the local park with Ellie and I looked around to see where she was, just in time to see her making a bee line for a large picnic party who were sitting on a blanket in the sun.  I screamed so loudly at Ellie to stop that the adults firstly froze and then grabbed the young children.  I managed to virtually rugby tackle Ellie just before her paws touched the blanket and gasped at the adults that their children were fine, it was their food that was at risk.  Luckily they thought it was funny.

Ellie also likes to mug ramblers, she gets very excited whenever she sees anyone sitting down with a rucksack on the ground as she knows this probably means they are eating food.  She sits in front of them, staring them out, in the vain hope they might drop a crumb.

Ellie does get dog friendly food from us off our plates, but I have managed to train her that when I hold both hands up and say 'all gone' she goes away from the table and doesn't expect any more.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »
We have always given them treats from our plates after we have finished especially my OH who used to leave 3 little bits of something. However after Holly died from pancreatitis our guilt is such that Poppy and Rosie now only have their own food and we try to keep this as low fat as possible and now they don't get pigs ears as these apparently are extremly high fat.
We still get spaniel eyes and that makes you feel mean!!

Yes.  This is our dilemma now too.  We had one dog that we gave everything to....then you start to question whether that was right or wrong.  So, our poor puppies get none of the human stuff.....Ah.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx