Author Topic: Natural Instinct - For BARF'ers/Part BARF'ers  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Natural Instinct - For BARF'ers/Part BARF'ers
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »
Well, no use doing a review on Lyla.....she eats slugs and rabbit poo so anything is tasty to her!!

Yep, I have the same with this one - don't know why I go to so much trouble to give her the perfect diet!  ::) :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 09:37:05 PM »
Aaaargh, don't let them eat slugs.   Lungworm and all that.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 08:17:31 AM »
Cannot stop Lyla.....she is too quick for me!  She is Advocated on a regular basis....don't know if that helps. :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »
Thanks for that link, I'm going to give them a try. Jasmine is a bit picky and doesn't eat much kibble at all. She had a couple of chicken wings last week and loved them but I know very little about BARF feeding and I would worry that she wasn't getting all she needed. This sounds perfect for someone like me.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 05:32:12 PM »
I am going to try it because I hate the scutter of making it all up myself.. ph34r

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »
Let us know what it's like.   I have used stuff from DAF but it stinks to high heaven, so I threw it out. ph34r
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »
I e-mailed NI about the price and comparision with AMP and this is there reply( well if you don't ask you don't know :005:)...

Thank you for your email.

Whilst AMP is similar, it is not exactly the same - for example, our product contains around 75% meat (and about 5% bone), with 20% fresh fruit and vegetables.  AMP does not contain bone which is essential for a proper BARF (bone and raw food) diet.  In addition, our protein content is generally higher, and we add not only Omega 3, but also flaxseed, kelp and brewers' yeast for essential nutrients.

AMP also contains rice, which your dog is not designed to eat.  Our products contain no grains or fillers of any kind.

In addition, we make no charge for delivery, and you do not have to sign for the package, which means it can be left if you are not at home.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »
Sorry to nit pick, but they are not entirely accurate about AMP.
 Here are the ingredients listed for their 2Kg packs of Prize Choice Freeflow mince as an example:
Ingredients
Chicken whole pieces, minced size 10 mm max.
No artificial colouring, fillers, preservatives, additives or cereals. Products may contain small bone pieces - 4g/100g may be present

Typical Analysis
Protein 14%, oil 15%, moisture 65%

and here are the Ingredients listed for NI Natural Chicken:
Natural Chicken
British chicken, British chicken livers, ground chicken bones, apples, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, Brewers' Yeast, cod liver oil, flaxseed oil, kelp

(Moisture 70.9%, protein 14.4%, fat 9.2%, ash 0.5%, carbohydrate 5%, fibre 0.5%)

Whilst AMP is similar, it is not exactly the same - for example, our product contains around 75% meat (and about 5% bone), with 20% fresh fruit and vegetables. 

True: AMP Prize Choice is 96% meat and 4% bone and contains no fruit or vegetables.
AMP does not contain bone which is essential for a proper BARF (bone and raw food) diet. 
False (see above)
In addition, our protein content is generally higher

er true -by 0.4%
we add not only Omega 3, but also flaxseed, kelp and brewers' yeast for essential nutrients.

True

AMP also contains rice, which your dog is not designed to eat.

False. They are looking at Natures menu, not Prize Choice.

Our products contain no grains or fillers of any kind.
Neither does AMP Prize Choice

In addition, we make no charge for delivery,

True AMP do, but you're paying a lot less for their products. Their minimum order is £60.00 + carriage of £4.25

So yes, Omega 3, flaxseed, kelp, brewers' yeast, fruit and veggies, are in NI chicken (together with 0.4% more protein and 5.9% more water)  @ £4.29/Kg  but not in AMP Prize Choice freeflow mince @£1.695/Kg

Is it going to cost you £2.595 to add fruit veggies, kelp Brewers yeast and Omega 3 to each Kg of meat?

You do the sums. If your time is worth more -then I suppose it is worth it for some people.

I don't have any interest in promoting AMP nor do I have anything against NI, but I do like accuracy  ;)
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
out of interest - where is AMP's meat sourced from?
helen & jarvis x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 09:28:47 PM »
I asked them that ages ago, but can't find the email. I think I posted it on the 'Barf Diary' thread I started. I recall it is 'human grade' (same as NI), but can't remember what else they said. I know it's not organic if that's what you were thinking, but then although I would love to, I can't afford to eat totally organic meat myself.
happydog

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:48 PM »
I asked them that ages ago, but can't find the email. I think I posted it on the 'Barf Diary' thread I started. I recall it is 'human grade' (same as NI), but can't remember what else they said. I know it's not organic if that's what you were thinking, but then although I would love to, I can't afford to eat totally organic meat myself.

nope not the organic aspect - it just the meat never looks human grade meat to me  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »

nope not the organic aspect - it just the meat never looks human grade meat to me  :lol2:
Agree -if you mean the blocks, they dissolve into a revolting looking mush, but the freeflow mince seems fine and I've never noticed the dogs complaining about either tbh. 'tis snaffled in seconds with much revisiting of the empty bowl for just one last lick :005:.
happydog

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 09:38:53 AM »
Fell at the first hurdle....they have run out of chicken and now have to make up new batches as their complete stock was bought by one person...apparently.  Delivery now 21st.  That is fine as I am just doing a changeover but would have been inconvenient had the girls been on it already!

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »
 Here are the ingredients listed for their 2Kg packs of Prize Choice Freeflow mince as an example:
Ingredients
No artificial colouring, fillers, preservatives, additives or cereals. Products may contain small bone pieces - 4g/100g may be present

In all fairness Prize Choice Freeflow Mince is not a complete balanced meal...so don't really think you can compare that to the NI complete meals. (You could compare it to their chicken and bone product thou...)
I should have said; in my email to them, I was comparing their food too the Nature's Menu Nuggets for example which is a complete food and is a better comparison to the NI products which are also complete meals...

Let us know how you get on Sheryl :D

Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 05:05:15 PM »
Ingredients

In all fairness Prize Choice Freeflow Mince is not a complete balanced meal...so don't really think you can compare that to the NI complete meals. (You could compare it to their chicken and bone product thou...)
I should have said; in my email to them, I was comparing their food too the Nature's Menu Nuggets for example which is a complete food and is a better comparison to the NI products which are also complete meals...
Point taken  ;) . I add my own veggies to balance it.
happydog