Author Topic: Jumping up  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Jumping up
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 09:09:33 AM »
dont ask me how but I have two dogs that never ever steal food, they just curl up asleep when im eating  :angel:

One who stares at me but never attempts to take any and a Brie  >:D

I have never ever given her any human food and tried countless things to stop her stealing but she is like something possessed when we are eating and will jump on us, try and stick her head in our mouths to get food, snatch at forks etc so I have given up and just crate her before we eat.

She seems to be getting better and I can have a snacks now (so long as its not banana or mint which send her into a frenzie  :005:) without her bothering me but anything else shes crated when im having it

Offline ShelleyandRosie

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 06:45:35 PM »
My Rosie is just over 10 months, when she was really little we put her in her crate with a tastey treat whilst we ate dinner in the same room, she would wine and winge but eventually got used to it and would settle. Now she will lay under the table quietly, so I'd suggest picking a strategy and sticking with it for a good while before trying another if it really doesn't work. Good Luck

Offline Marian

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:01 PM »
Harv will always try and steal food given half a chance and boy, is he quick!!! A few months back we had friends round for Sunday dinner (beef and all the trimmings), when my friend picked up her glass of wine this little golden dart shot towards her plate and then disappeared in the blink of an eye. We all peered at my friend's plate to try and work out what was missing - she was gutted because it was a yorkshire pudding!!

We have now found a solution - Harv has to have a spot to be told to sit - ie his bed. We move the bed into the dining room and tell him to lie down on it, we've done this now for a few months and he is finally going on his bed, without being told, when he sees us sitting down for a meal.

This works well, but I won't even go into the events over Christmas when we had little kiddies running round the house with handfuls of crisps and Iceland mini pavlovas - I'm afraid that was a free for all and I gave up trying to stop Harv pinching food and tucked into a bottle of wine instead!!!
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/robinw48/dsc000685.jpg[IMG]

Offline les

• Site Member
  • Bentley the scruff
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »
put your dog on lead, put your foot on the lead so the dog can't jump up and then reward it for lying down with a tasty treat. ;)

Thanks for a real solution, putting dogs in another room works, but teaches them nothing, it is just a short cut for an easy life.  I live in the Netherlands, and we take our dogs to cafes and restaurants all the time, they are very welcome, so they need to know how to behave.

Now how do I prevent them jumping up at visitors to the door?
Bentley & his Mum

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 06:44:18 PM »
Same way! just make sure you introduce them to people at the door on lead. :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 12:13:53 PM »
I used the lead for meal times and she is now well behaved whilst we eat at the table; she does look at us with pleading eyes but doesn't jump up.

I use the lead to give control for answering the door or if Ginny gets too excited whilst we have visitors; she will usually behave more calmly using this strategy; I am hoping that as she matures she will realise that she needs to be calm at these times. She does calm down after a while when visitors come and I then take off the lead and she behaves well for the rest of their visit. 
Julie

Offline annG

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 11:21:50 PM »
Oddly enough jaffas crate is in the dinning area, at Meal times he just runs in and lies down. that from day one what happened a Meal times.
he then gets his meal when were finished. visitors the same.
jumping around like a loon , is one of his speciltysthat I never seem to get hm out of as any time I have him out there is allways somebody fussing over him and he loves all those humin  arount fussing him. walkes is fuss time . last year he was the only cocker in the street now there is two next door and people are crazy about him. so what I can do now. I do not allow any pet feeding but let people enjoy him.
:)
JAFFA!