Author Topic: Hocks opinions/advice please. ;0)  (Read 17729 times)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
Hocks opinions/advice please. ;0)
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »
Ok I am looking for some expert opinions from all the experienced Show people on here. I would like your opinion on my boys hocks and back end generally. Be honest, but please be kind.  :-\ When I do my other Cockers I can do them with my eyes shut, but when it comes to grooming Tally for show it's a completely different matter. I realise they could be neater and he had just been for a walk and quickly dried, so he is slightly damp in parts. Really I would just like to know if I've got the right general idea and if the shape is right. Remember as well, he doesn't have as much hair to work with either as some.  ::) Thanks so much for any advice. I do take it all on board.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/sarahp_09/2010_0115dogs0088.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/sarahp_09/2010_0115dogs0073.jpg

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/sarahp_09/2010_0115dogs0083.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/sarahp_09/2010_0115dogs0079.jpg

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/sarahp_09/2010_0115dogs0090.jpg
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Hocks opinions/advice please. ;0)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:55:49 AM »
Thank you for leaving the discrete tuft of hair in the last pic!  :lol2:

You're onto it in general, now it just needs some fine tuning  ;) I'd like to see more definition to his back legs all around, it appears he doesn't have very much angulation and I can't tell where the top of his hock is to know if it's set high or low. (Not a criticism, it's a question we have to ask ourselves when grooming for show--am I showing this off to the best advantage?)

Be sure to have someone  move him for you after you trim to make sure you don't have any flying hair making optical illusions  ;)

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:21:33 AM »
O M G!!  :o Thankyou I think.  :shades: :005: I think I'll be fretting about this from now until Crufts.  :shades: :005: At least I'm on the right lines. I'm much more confident doing my others as I don't show them and they also have so much more hair and I take there hocks quite short to. I am scarred to take to much off Tally I think as I'm worried how long it will take to grow back as it's taken nearly 2 years to get this far and it is way more important that he looks right.  :shades: I am also worried about taking to much off the hocks as I was told off for doing so before.  :shades: You can see his hock better on his right leg, but I really hadn't noticed before that you can't on his left, which is the side the judge sees as well. It does sometimes take a fresh pair of eyes doesn't it.  ;) I have a lot to think about now thanks so much for taking the time to help me.  :D I may well be back with more questions.  ;)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 09:38:03 AM »
I'd just like to say thank you as well - someone demonstrated on Charlie how to pull the skirt on the hocks forward to trim but it helps to see it like this.  I've got the Cocker club booklet but the sketch drawings aren't the same as seeing the real dog.   I've just bought the Jackie M-B DVD too so will be watching that.

Like Sarah, it's taken 2 years for Heidi to get any coat and I can't afford to get it wrong in case it takes another 2 years to grow back   :shades:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 10:50:17 AM »
I have a quick question. If you don't mind...

The hair in between Tally's back legs is really long. Is this preferred? I was always told to cut it short in a straight line about the same length as his other dangly bits...!  :005:

But when I went to LKA ALL the puppies had long hair and I much preferred it so I've left Murphy's to grow now. But I've been worrying that I shouldn't. Is it 'more' correct to let it be long?

This is a huge help, someone should put a sticky on this post so it stays at the top, I'd really like to be able to refer to it when I trim!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
Made sticky as requested  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 12:52:29 PM »
I have a quick question. If you don't mind...

The hair in between Tally's back legs is really long. Is this preferred?

Let it grow  ;) You can see from Tallys pic that it is pretty long  :blink:

I am scarred to take to much off Tally I think as I'm worried how long it will take to grow back as it's taken nearly 2 years to get this far and it is way more important that he looks right. 

I know, I had a sparse coated bitch and it took me a long time to be comfortable taking hair off her. :005: But you are only taking off an inch or so and believe me, even on thin coated dogs that stuff on the back of the hock grows just fine!  ::) :005:

Everyone has their own methods so bear in mind this is just my opinion and meant to be a guideline  :shades:

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »
Firstly Tally is extremely flattered to have his bum as a sticky on the grooming board.   ph34r :shades: :005:

I have always called and been taught to call the bit that SuperCat is referring to as the curtains, which refer to the shape and as such cover his dignity.  :shades: :005: I was always taught to cut them like this, but have never been formally taught how to trim for show and have had to take advice from here and there and a bit of trial and error. Both Tally and I have learnt the craft of dog showing together and are throughly enjoying it, but we still have lots to learn. I am a definite believer that you never stop learning anyway. Thanks so much for the advice you have offered it is so very helpful and your right his hocks do grow well, so perhaps I will just bite the bullet and go for it.  ;) It just amazes me how much trouble I have doing Tallys grooming and how much I stress over it, when the rest of my gang I have no problems with.  ::)

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
Oh wow thanks Livercake!! Ironically I'm making one of those later!!

This is a great post. Going to try some of it a bit later.

Sarah, I always called that bit his 'bum fringe' But I didn't want say on here!! I didn't know it was called the 'curtains'! I shall refer to it as that henceforth!

Thanks again. I've struggled with the part the most I think. Also Sarah you trim his feet fantastically (I think) might have to take some foot trimming tips from you!
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »
Oh wow thanks Livercake!! Ironically I'm making one of those later!!

This is a great post. Going to try some of it a bit later.

Sarah, I always called that bit his 'bum fringe' But I didn't want say on here!! I didn't know it was called the 'curtains'! I shall refer to it as that henceforth!

Thanks again. I've struggled with the part the most I think. Also Sarah you trim his feet fantastically (I think) might have to take some foot trimming tips from you!

Oh god don't take tips on feet from me please.  :shades: :005: They look different each time I do them.  ;) Poor Tally he has to put up with so much.  ;) :005:

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »
Well I think they're really good! Murphy has exactly the same! Considering how much of a pain he can be when he's in his puppy mode, he's a very tolerant boy really!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »
Firstly Tally is extremely flattered to have his bum as a sticky on the grooming board.   ph34r :shades: :005:

A sticky bum!  :lol2:

It just amazes me how much trouble I have doing Tallys grooming and how much I stress over it, when the rest of my gang I have no problems with.  ::)

Take just a little off at a time and do what you are comfortable with, because what is most important if you are showing your own dog is that you feel confident  :shades: If you are stressed and worried that your grooming isn't "right", that will travel right down the lead to the dog. So do what makes you comfortable and confident and the dog will feel the same!  :shades:   

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
This is a very old thread, so not wishing to start this up again as probably better for any further discussion on them to remain on other threads now. Just thought I would add an up to date pic of Tallys hocks and my other boy Dru's. Hope it helps. ;)

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 10:34:25 PM »
Thank you for the pictures.  That helps me.  Did you use scissors and/or thinning scissors for this?

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »
Hi I always set the shape with my curved scissors, but then blend, shape further & finish with my thinners.  :D