Author Topic: How To Teach A Reliable Recall  (Read 71304 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
How To Teach A Reliable Recall
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
Here is my recipe for a truly reliable recall

Things you need

Choose a treat or some other reward that is going to be used only for the whistle and nothing else. This reward has to be really high value.

A whistle that when you blow it you can hear it. If your dog has learned to ignore a whistle then choose a different one.
I use an Acme 210.5

N.B
Before doing any of the following make sure your dog is not afraid of the sound of the whistle. Introduce the sound at a distance and gauge your dogs reaction.
If your dog appears fearful then think about choosing anther recall cue.

A selection of whistle sounds can be found on the Acme website if you click on the individual products
http://acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/home.php?cat=3

Step 1
Blow the whistle (Fast continuous pips work well for recall) while your dog is with you and feed them the treat while holding their collar.
Do this three times a day for a week.
Make sure you feed immediately after you blow the whistle.

Step 2
Blow the whistle while your dog is in the same room but not at your side. When they come, hold their collar and feed them the treat or play the special game.
Make sure your dog is already on the way to you when you blow the whistle.
Do this for two or three days.

Step 3
Blow the whistle while your dog is in another room. Make sure your dog is already on the way to you when you blow the whistle. When they come, hold their collar and feed them the treat etc.

Step 4
Blow the whistle while your dog is in the garden and you are in the house. Make sure your dog is already on the way to you when you blow the whistle. When your dog comes, hold their collar and feed them the treat.
Do at least one repetition where you feed or play with the dog (which ever they prefer) for a full thirty seconds.

Step 5
Blow the whistle while your dog is on a long line or extending lead in a field. Make sure your dog is already on the way to you when you blow the whistle. When your dog comes, hold their collar and feed them the treat.
Do this for two weeks. Do at least one repetition where you feed or play the dog for a full thirty seconds.

Step 6
Blow the whistle while your dog is off lead but not playing. Make sure your dog is already on the way to you when you blow the whistle. When your dog comes, hold their collar and feed them the treat. Do at least one repetition where you feed the dog for a full thirty seconds.

Step 7
Blow the whistle while your dog is playing but on a long line. Start to walk backwards with the line and when your do turns towards you get down to his level, open up your body and blow your whistle recall, keep blowing the whistle until he gets to you When your dog comes, hold their collar and feed them the treat.
Do this for two weeks. Do at least one repetition where you feed the dog for a full thirty seconds.

I would add that you should not attempt to blow the whistle unless you are 100% your dog will respond in the early days or even months so your dog never learns to ignore the sound. I would not want to be blowing the whistle twice or else the dog will learn he comes sometimes when he hears it.
This is why I use the security blanket of a long line more than other folks, because I want the conditioning to be strong. This is so the dog hears whistle and knows exactly what to do, doesn't have to think, just does because that is what happens when he hears the sound.
When training this, if you can't put your mortgage on your dog coming back then DON'T blow the whistle or you will undo the conditioning process.

Think about what your dog finds rewarding and use it to your advantage, make the environment work for you rather than against you. Reward anytime your dog voluntarily checks in and be sure to send them away when you have finished rewarding them. I would also hand feed your dog at least one meal a day.
Hope this helps

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Re: as some of you seem to be struggling with recall
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:31:27 PM »
Mark thats fab, going to keep that for the next dog as never whistle trained Indie but not going to start with her as she doesn't need it.

However, I might be missing something here but if they are in another room or the garden and you don't blow the whistle until they are on the way back to you, how do you know they are coming back or are you supposed to call them to get them to come and then blow the whistle - this is probably a really obvious answer so apologies in advance if I'm being dim  :shades:

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
Thanks Mark

This is very timely and helpful for me!!

Pup Hector has regressed very badly on recall (he is now nearly 9 months).  Up to 6 months he was pretty good.  The last month or so he is ignoring a lots of commands and today really worried me by bounding off after another dog across the park's carpark  >:D >:D

Will restart training with this technique

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »
Another thankyou from me too Mark  ;)

I'm going to buy a whistle  & have a very good try at improving Livies recall. She's 3 (but I presume it's still possible to correct mistakes I've already made  ph34r ) & has selective recall ...... no problem so far, as I walk in 'safe places' but if there were a danger i.e. road, then I know she wouldn't recall (..my fault, I know  :embarassed: ) as well as the good question Janette asks could I just ask about multiple dogs. I have the 3 & you say about holding their collars etc when treating in the early stages....how would you approach this if all come at once (again, the answer is probably obvious ....so sorry if I sound dense .......probably 'cos I am  :lol2: )

Lindsey x
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
Mark thats fab, going to keep that for the next dog as never whistle trained Indie but not going to start with her as she doesn't need it.

However, I might be missing something here but if they are in another room or the garden and you don't blow the whistle until they are on the way back to you, how do you know they are coming back or are you supposed to call them to get them to come and then blow the whistle - this is probably a really obvious answer so apologies in advance if I'm being dim  :shades:

yep shout them or make a fuss and don't make it too difficult for the dog to be able to comeback in the early stages.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:15 PM »

yep shout them or make a fuss and don't make it too difficult for the dog to be able to comeback in the early stages.

Brilliant, thank you  :D

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:15:07 PM »
Thanks for the post... I've not had too much of an issue with Maggie in the past, but with her being on cage rest and very restricted exercise for at least the another six weeks I'm already starting to worry about the first time we do venture out again so will try to start on this once we have the all clear.
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline SandraD

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:26:39 PM »
Thank you Mark, have the whistle, sussed the high value treats now just have to put it all into practice!!

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 09:24:47 AM »
Thanks Mark, that's really useful.  :D  I'm planning on starting this with young Ted, just as soon as I've made some livercake, which is the only thing I can imagine being more exciting than tuna bread!

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 09:26:18 AM »
Also make sure you can deliver treats (or other rewards quickly) Amazing how many people mess around with plastic bags in pockets.
A treat pouch or bum bag is a must!

Offline black taz

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
really timely for me also as i am training Kira to the whistle at the minute.  We are at the stage now when i can get her to come back from the garden on the whistle - i hadnt been making sure she was already on the way but thankfully it has been 100% so far, so i will take your advice now and make sure she is on the way before i blow it.

I have had to change to the whistle rather than verbal command as my OH has overused "come" and will repeat it over and over again and if she doesnt come gives up (as he does with most commands - despite my constant reminder not to give an instruction if he is not prepared to follow it through >:D.  I did make him suffer the consequency a few weeks ago, as Taz had jumped on the bed before i got there and he told Taz to get off at least 7 times but hadnt physically removed him - he was waiting for me to do it.  I just got into bed and said that as he gave the command, he must follow it through, so Taz spent most of the night on the bed (doesnt bother me :005:)

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
Also make sure you can deliver treats (or other rewards quickly) Amazing how many people mess around with plastic bags in pockets.
A treat pouch or bum bag is a must!

Thanks for this reminder.  :D  Prompted me to dig out the pouch I'd forgotten I bought!  ::)

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline leisl

• Donator
  • Hi-Life PAT Dog of the Year!
    • Muppet - PAT Dog of the Year Winner 2010/2011
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 12:59:33 PM »
Do you know, we started pet gundog training about 4 weeks ago and I introduced the whistle for the first time.  I have to say within about 2 minutes Muppet picked this up and now she is a superstar hound.  She cannot come back to me fast enough, EVERYTIME!  I am still using the food reward when she comes back but I don't mind because she is faultless.  I wish we had found this method years ago.  

In the past her recall has be pretty good but you know what its like.....  

Nose on the ground = complete deafness!

I can totally recommend this method.

Good luck!
Leisl, Muppet & Krumble
Orange ones are more juicy!!

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 01:32:47 PM »
Do you know, we started pet gundog training about 4 weeks ago and I introduced the whistle for the first time.  I have to say within about 2 minutes Muppet picked this up and now she is a superstar hound.  She cannot come back to me fast enough, EVERYTIME!  I am still using the food reward when she comes back but I don't mind because she is faultless.  I wish we had found this method years ago.  

In the past her recall has be pretty good but you know what its like.....  

Nose on the ground = complete deafness!

I can totally recommend this method.

Good luck!

Well done Muppet! :D

Offline jackieant

• charlie
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 11:15:35 PM »
thanks again mark from me too, will buy myself that whistle i have been meaning to get but not got round to. :P
sounds great advice!