Author Topic: How To Teach A Reliable Recall  (Read 71931 times)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: How To Teach A Reliable Recall
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2016, 08:36:04 PM »
You are welcome  :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2016, 11:47:02 AM »
Just to chime in on this long thread to say I'm working on re-training Henry's recall with the method and it's brilliant. His recall was okay until he was about 5 months old (off the leash since he was 3 months), but it deteriorated rapidly and the 'come' command was clearly broken. I found this method on another site and started about a month ago, with an interruption for his neutering and subsequent restriction. I am still at the stage of using the whistle in the park only when he is already on his way back to me or when he is not playing and fairly close. I will be moving on to the long-leash final stage soon, but for now I don't want to risk him ignoring the whistle and self-rewarding by getting to do what he wants.

The other thing I did at the same time as starting this training was to reward him with a high-value treat every single time he checked-in with me while off the leash. Now he checks in far more often, and generally stays closer. The most significant thing I've noticed, though, is that the old 'come' command has been revitalised - unless he is playing with another dog, he will mostly come back to me now just with a call. It might take a minute while he finishes sniffing around, or working out if the other dog really doesn't want to play, but just as I think I'm going to have to go find him, he will suddenly barrel around the corner, ears flying, looking for me.

I try as much as possible to make him come to me, even if that means I'm standing there like a fool while he runs off with other pups. Sometimes other owners look at me as if to say: Please come get your dog. And of course if the situation warrants it, I do. But I know that if they move away with their dog and I start walking the other way, he'll come to me and not run off with them, which was a real problem before I started this training.

So now our walks are so much more fun for both of us - him running off and back again, off and back again, me striding along fairly relaxed in the knowledge that he really does know he's my dog!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2016, 12:02:02 PM »
Thats's lovely to hear. We're having to go back to basics at the moment as hormones take over but if the ground work's been good to start with, I think its half the battle, so am optimistic we'll get there again too! 👍

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2016, 12:37:39 PM »
Something that I have learnt from the Total Recall book is the reward lottery. Basically you reward high value treats for a successful recall and then occasionally you give them a mega reward of several pieces of roast chicken or something equally high value. Then, on special occasions you give them a jackpot reward such as a pouch of cat food.

Then, as the recall becomes more reliable you don't treat every time. The dog becomes addicted to racing back to you to see if/what he will be rewarded.

Offline pamplemousse

« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2016, 10:29:58 PM »
Hello, so pleased to see this thread pinned to the top on this forum, it's why I came here! Bertie, now 15 months had average recall, some days it was amazing , some days it was terrible. Now however he has been running off for too far and too long. I bought total recall and stupidly did what the author said most people do and that's not proof the technique and now look what's happened! Bertie has disappeared after birds, deer, all sorts and is self rewarding by doing this. I am so relieved to hear that bunging a long line on him and taking some steps backwards and doing the training properly is not uncommon and hopefully just what we need to do  :003:

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2016, 07:17:18 AM »
Our Bonnie has selective recall  >:D

Liver cake, whistle and long line at the ready!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2016, 08:40:13 AM »
Yes, it is perfectly normal (for cockers at least) for things to go backwards sometimes and then the answer is just to go back a few steps and build the reliability of recall back up again.   ;)

Coco is 11 next month and she is still a work in progress on a lot of her training.  Stupid me thinking that once we had mastered something that would be it - typical cockers to keep on challenging their owners  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2016, 08:47:05 AM »
Henry's recall was perfect for about a month after I 'completed' the training, but a few instances of bird chasing and playing with other dogs has set him back again. It's not that he never comes back, but he's not staying as close and has at times selective hearing on the whistle. When he first came off the long line he would turn on a sixpence on the first toot of the whistle. Now he comes back, but in his own sweet time. So he's going back on the longline for 10-15 minutes at the beginning of every walk, which is when he's most likely to abscond. When he's off the lead I keep an eye out for dogs I think he might scamper off to play with and try to keep him distracted until they pass. It's a pain, but I'm sure it's only one step back for two forwards and keeping on top of it by going back to the training will pay off in the end.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »
With my previous dogs, I found its a life long training, all things learned need to be practised regularly otherwise they just get forgotten. Our boys are still only youngsters, there are still so many distractions out there (and self discipline is something I still haven't mastered at the age of 64!!! ). The main thing is they understand what we want from them, its all (hopefully) stored away in those little brains and once they've calmed down, it'll all fall into place.
(That hope is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment, so hope nobody's going to try and disillusion me!, :rofl1:) ......

Offline TimP

« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »
Will your training method on the first page work for a dog that's 5 years old? I am getting a cocker tomorrow that needs to be re housed and keen that it comes to the whistle. I believe he was trained originally to a clicker. Part working part show apparently.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2016, 08:17:10 AM »
Will your training method on the first page work for a dog that's 5 years old? I am getting a cocker tomorrow that needs to be re housed and keen that it comes to the whistle. I believe he was trained originally to a clicker. Part working part show apparently.

Yes  :D

If you teach it gradually and consistently, no reason at all why an older dog can't learn a new method.  Make sure you make it worth his while though  :005:

If he is trained to the clicker, you will find it invaluable to carry on using that for some things too - not so good for recall  ;)

Good luck with your new addition by the way.  Look forward to hearing all about him  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline TimP

« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
Thanks

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2016, 03:29:26 PM »
Ben was 6 when we started and it worked a treat with him.

good luck with your new dog, hope you share some photos

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:10 PM »
We're now on step four- the garden recall. I have to sneak the whistle and liver cake out as if she spots it she doesn't leave my side. :005:
I love giving her the jackpots too, and just make sure that I give them for brilliant recalls and not just average ones. Looking forward to seeing how she responds outside now.

Offline TimP

« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2016, 10:05:14 AM »
Only a week on but she is responding to the whistle well. I let her off the lead for the first time on Saturday but on a huge Norfol beach. Yesterday in a large park and she came  immediately when out of sight. Not over blowing and usually when she is looking at me as reccomended. Thanks again.

Zara closely followed by Archie