Author Topic: How To Teach A Reliable Recall  (Read 74440 times)

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
Re: How To Teach A Reliable Recall
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2012, 07:15:44 PM »
Penny has a good recall thanks to you and comes to whistle aswell Have to buy a new one a piece has fallen out so I picked up childrnes whitstle in the kitchen and she came running for her treat I didnt expect as I thought she may only ome to her usual whistle.Sorry if I have gone off post.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Lesley M

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »
Thanks for this info. Rocky is four months and will happily walk with me off lead looking back and checking where I am if no ones around. Any sight of another dog or person and he's off with no chance of coming back. Will be buying a whistle and start the training today. Many thanks and I will let you know how we get on.

Offline efc_barm

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
Took Gus out yesterday and went off lead. He was a little star. Came back every time even when he decided to go and say hi to another dog. At one point he went off following a scent but when I called him he turned and looked at me and then came running when I whistled. Question though, is the ultimate aim to wean off the treats every time or not? Or do the treats remain as the whistle is for "emergency" recalls? I ask because Gus is quite an adventurous dog who is quite happy to wonder. I like to keep him relatively close so is the idea to keep he coming back with a vocal recall and save the whistle for emergencies?

One more question - maybe getting ahead of myself here! How do I introduce the stop on a single blow of the whistle? Quite often I just want him to stop whilst I catch up rather than having to come back..

Any advice is appreciated.

Barm.

Offline Scooter001

« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
A bad day today recall wise! Scooter completely ignored me twice and ran to play with other dogs! He is 10 months old and was pretty good up until today!! I usually have a whistle but forgot it today which didn't help, but does this mean that I have to go back to keeping him on lead and restarting long line training again?  :'(

Offline jokersmum

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »
Only just found this site / forum / and god send advice. Not surprised this topic has so many hits!
Have been going to training since my working cocker pup was 3mths [ now 8mths] but  this recall explanation is the clearest Ive found. I have been really struggling with the whole process of the long line work and when to let off lead etc.
However, the instructions make a lot of sense to me and I'm going to take a few steps back to try to get my pup focused on to my whistle. I'm also not going to be whistling if there is a "no chance" etc etc!!
Huge thanks and will continue to check in to the site for further support. It was so good to read of other folk with same probs -  I'm not alone!
Just a thought .....
Top Barks would have made a fortune if charged for this info. So suggest everyone who uses it puts a donation in "Dogs Trust" or similar for this fantastic clear help and guidance?!

Offline Jenn

• Oscar and Daisy
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »
My puppy was recently out walking on lead when he was attacked by an off lead, and out of control terrier, that we did not know; Anyway my pup ended up with a broken jaw  :'(   He is six months old and had been brilliant at recall (99%).
 First time I have allowed him off lead last night (after about 7 weeks) and he was hyper but came back   as no distractions. I  tried again today but no recall whatsoever as another dog we know was out playing.
Have decided to try this whistle method, just a quick question, which is the best whistle ? Not sure if to go for the one mark notes, or to try a silent type so as not to annoy the neighbours ?

Offline Jenn

• Oscar and Daisy
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »
Thanks Maddy 74 have ordered.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »
Blimey Jenn that was quick  :005:

Offline Jenn

• Oscar and Daisy
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:30 PM »
We need to start enjoying walks and exercise again!!!! :D

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
A quick question. When they are on the long line, do you call their name and when coming to you blow the whistle?? if no response from them what do you do next???

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
you only blow the whistle when you are 100% sure they will respond :)
it needs to work. If the dog is distracted i find either walking backwards with the line or stroking the line buys you a window to start the dog on its way to you.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »
you only blow the whistle when you are 100% sure they will respond :)
it needs to work. If the dog is distracted i find either walking backwards with the line or stroking the line buys you a window to start the dog on its way to you.
many thanks, we are getting there. It's a long process but she's doing well unless there are distractions to close for her to ignore.

Offline Rich-n-Chuckles

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »
Such a helpful thread.
I'm giving this a go, whistle is on it's way to me.

Like a lot of people I have a problem stopping my lad from running off to say hello.
I've also got a little issue as I can't get myself to shout loud enough for Chuckles to hear me.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »
Such a helpful thread.
I'm giving this a go, whistle is on it's way to me.

Like a lot of people I have a problem stopping my lad from running off to say hello.
I've also got a little issue as I can't get myself to shout loud enough for Chuckles to hear me.
Extra thing I did was to use the whistle for recall every time I fed my puppy.  Positive association was made very quickly this way. 
Michelle, Emily and Ollie