Author Topic: Working for food  (Read 718 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Working for food
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:48:01 PM »
Not sure if this is in the right place Mods....it may come across as a Feeding thread at first, but I think its behaviour  :D

OK, so...ever since Chloe was a pup, I've often got her to work for her food....be it in a scrunched up plastic bottle, kibble scattered over the floor, or hiding her food in various cartons around the house and sending her to find them. Just recently, I have taken to hiding her food around the house for every morning feed and she has taken to doing this little whine at my feet whilst I'm preparing the cartons (I presume with excitement at the task ahead of her  :005:). She will then sit in the kitchen on a stay command, with the door open, whilst I go around the house hiding the cartons. I use 3 rooms to hide them, and have taken up to 4 minutes to hide them all...yet still she sits calmly.....she will never sit (out of sight) that long in ANY other situation! I then tell her to go find and she NEVER fails.

THEN.....guess what she does...within half an hour she goes to sleep :005: :005: :005:

Does this hunting for her food tire her out THAT much  ph34r :005: And you know what? If I serve her breakfast in a bowl, she ignores it for 10 minutes and looks at me as if I've done her wrong  :-\

Is she weird, or just being a normal working cocker, with a not very normal Mum  :005: :005: My personal opinion is that she is using some of her wired instincts whilst doing this wee hunt, and it is mentally tiring for her.....am I right?

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline fifer

• Site Member
Re: Working for food
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:01:51 AM »
No def training/ behaviour, you are tiring her brain, this is pure mental stimulation and essential in a balanced training programme.  ;)
Spaniels In Need

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:37:29 AM »
Perhaps she enjoys hunting for the food more than actually eating it?

Millie

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Yip I agree you're making her use her brain and that is just as tiring (if not more) than physical exercise. 

Murphy is always knackered after playing 'seek' which is us hiding his toys and him running around finding them by name  :luv: 
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:08:11 PM »
Sounds like you're really keeping your girl busy Sue :) Poor Maggie has no idea that tomorrow her breakfast will be a "search & devour" operation  :005:

Fab idea... thanks!
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
funny you should post this, i was reading an article recently about dogs having to "find" their own food.  excellent idea.

its funny how they get into their little routines though.  I have just been away for a few days with our dogs, and one night i forgot to give them their dentastick (always give them one just before bedtime) and they both stood at the bottom of the stairs looking at me as if i had lost my marbles expecting them to go to bed without one!  It took me a few seconds to realise why they wouldnt come up.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »
Sounds very normal and very enlightened of you to me Sue! :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk