Author Topic: Grooming tip  (Read 1066 times)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Grooming tip
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:59:03 PM »
Haven't tried this one myself (I've gone over to the Dark Side and keep mine clipped down  ph34r :005:) but a lot of the show people I know are doing it and raving about it.

Simply use the coat king in the tub while the dog is soaking wet. They say they get tons of hair out very easily. Some do it when they are just wet, some do it while they are lathered up with shampoo (better have a good hair trap on the drain  :005:)

I have a Golden Retriever coming in for a bath tomorrow, I'm going to try it on him  :D
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Grooming tip
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »
Might have a go with Lexi - she hasn't been clipped so may give it a go.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
Interesting. Does this stop the coat king from damaging the coat then? I personally wouldn't use it on my show dog as I prefer actual handstripping with finger and thumb. May take longer, but better in my opinion. may on pets though if it's ok for the coat.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »
Interesting. Does this stop the coat king from damaging the coat then? I personally wouldn't use it on my show dog as I prefer actual handstripping with finger and thumb. May take longer, but better in my opinion. may on pets though if it's ok for the coat.

Don't know about that  :-\ I haven't been around any dogs who have had it done long term to say, but I would think it would possibly be less damaging than doing it dry.

I think the show people are doing it on puppies whose coats are just ready to blow, and then maintaining by hand

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Um, may have to try this on Max  :005:  He Loves the coat king, but isn't so keen on the bath though  :huh:
No doubt he'll have a little swim later, I'll have to take the coat king out on walks from now on  :005:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Following on from a tip from someone else, I only brush/slicker Charlie damp now.  I keep a spray bottle of diluted conditioning spray and mist him before grooming.  I believe it helps prevent splitting too.  His coat is starting to look more sleek too

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »
Same as clipping when wet.  I leave the conditioner in and the clippers wizz through the coat.  Saves drying coat that you are only going to clip off anyhoo.  Just make sure you thoroughly clean and dry your equipment afterwards to maintain.  I don't think it ruins the coat as it's the same as our hairdressers telling us to comb our hair when the conditioner is in and not when dry as this is what splits the ends.
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »
Oddly enough I actually did this on Murphy as a pup after finding with my pony that I got more hair out when he was wet (after a bath) whenever he was moulting. So I tried it with my coat king on Murphy after a bath and it worked beautifully. He was about 5 months then. He's 18months now and his coat is nice and silky and other than his skirt still looking rather sparse (I think it's a colouring/ blood line thing rather than a grooming thing) and my grooming not being as good as some of the other show peoples' his coat isn't too different from their cockers.

I have to admit I hardly ever use a slicker brush now, he wouldn't let me use one until I bought one with bobbles on the pins a couple of months ago, because he has sensitive skin!  ::) Since then I have noticed his skirt get thinner and he has more split ends. It's great for pulling out dead hair on his back though. Now I use a double sided hair brush with thick, bobble-topped pins, for tangles on one side and soft bristles on the other. It really polishes his coat and removes 'surface tangles' it keeps his hair lovely and soft too. I've noticed his coat is recovering even in the month I haven't used the slicker.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »
Actually, I use this on my clients dogs:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Oster-Undercoat-Rake-Medium-18-Teeth/productinfo/OSTERURM/

Doesn't cut the coat (or burn the skin!) like a coat king, but gets lots of coat out  :shades: