Author Topic: how to stop a dog eating the mail!  (Read 9032 times)

Offline rupertsmum

how to stop a dog eating the mail!
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:08:32 AM »
Hello,

other than a metal cage to go over the letter box is there anyway we can stop Rupert from shreading the post when it comes?

he demolished a newspaper yesterday and our neighbours parking permit that she leant us today  >:D

thanks!

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
Re: how to stop a dog eating the mail!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:24:47 AM »
No, sorry. I resorted to a cage on my letter box. Training to only shred bills didn't quite work. :005:

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »
we had to resort to a post cage in the end after Annie ate a birthday card with £20 in  >:D
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »
I think the only alternative to a letter-box cage would be an outside post-box.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:54:12 AM »
If you are home when mail comes you can turn into a positive with training to fetch the post... otherwise cage is a good option...

Offline seaangler

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 12:02:14 PM »
Our peggy was a sod for doing this....So its a post box on the out side wall...From most D.I.Y stores or mail order of the internet..

Three years ago waiteing for are air tickets to arive we found them in her bed...Thankfully she only chewed the edge of the tickets...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:02:51 PM »
We put a box on the wall outside. Sasha is a *** for the post. She goes into a frenzy when the postman comes.

I taped my letterbox up  ::)
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »
If you are home when mail comes you can turn into a positive with training to fetch the post...

I wondered this? Penny always used to bring the post in to us and if we were out she'd put it in her bed and sleep on it!  :005: The only time she destroyed the post was when it was a vacc reminder card from the vets - it was almost unrecognisable by the time we got home  :lol: She liked to fetch carkeys to if they'd been dropped and if she couldn't find you she'd look after them til you got home - a kind little sole  :luv: I really ought to try and teach one of the youngsters to do the same.

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
Griffin seems to believe that the post is an intruder and has shredded it on several occassions. The solution for us was a wall mounted letter box outside the front door.

This has helped but when we bring it in he still goes nuts for it. Or if we leave him in the kitchen and bring the post in to the lounge, he goes for it as soon as we let him out.  >:( All I can think is he can smell it!

So, what we do now is bring the post in and I sit and hold it, make him wait then say ok. I let him sniff it all over but as soon as he involves teeth or paws (he likes to scrabble at it with his feet) we say "ah ah!!!" and stand up and only let him sniff again when he's calm. It hasn't solved it but at least he doesn't shred it now. Good luck!
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline rupertsmum

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »
If you are home when mail comes you can turn into a positive with training to fetch the post... otherwise cage is a good option...

how do i do this training? i am normally at home and if not rupert is in the kitchen far away from the letter box thankfully  ::)

as soon as he hears the postman its a mad rush for who can get there first and its not usually me  >:D

Offline black taz

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 01:13:11 PM »
we had to resort to the outside letter box as well. 

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 01:19:39 PM »
Well after 3 years of mail shredding by Maddi, we fitted an inside letter cage.  It's been sitting in the lounge for months waiting for OH to fit it, his final motivation, a 2 month free trial for LoveFilm  :005:

I looked at the outside one, but stay on a busy road so was a little wary of people maybe pinching the mail  ph34r
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline rupertsmum

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »
we'll need an inside one here too.

I love to be able to train himout of it as i know that even the post falling into the box will send him off on a barking frenzy  ::)

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »
I got mine off Ebay, OH had to make some adjustments to it because of the mouldings on the inside of the door.
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x