Author Topic: how to stop a dog eating the mail!  (Read 9034 times)

Offline SimonandMandy

Re: how to stop a dog eating the mail!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 02:16:54 PM »
We use fetch as our word so when I started I use to go to the door with Harv and say fetch it and he would take it out, I would then swap him mail for a treat.  When we are not home we shut Harv out of the kitchen so he can't get to mail.  Now he tells me when the postman arrives like any typical show cocker so I can call out fetch to him and go and collect (mean mum no longer gives a treat, thankfully he is happy with a bit of praise).  My aunt and uncle trained this with gate deliveries as they live rural and they have a gate at the box so can send their cocker out on command and recall in exchange for a treat so it is possible inside and out.  The only think I have yet to master is the mail that lands on the floor...

Good luck, it is a good one to train as a positive....

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 10:03:50 PM »
I'm a trainer but the easiest solution is the cage on the door or better still an outside box like we have
I'm a bad and lazy trainer!!!!! :lol2: :lol2:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »
We put a box on the wall outside. Sasha is a *** for the post. She goes into a frenzy when the postman comes.

I taped my letterbox up  ::)

The muddies go barmy when they hear the postman too  :o ...which is why I have an outside box  :lol:

I taped up the inside of the letterbox because the relief postman always tried to post it in there instead of the box on the wall  (about a foot away  >:D )

Funnily enough tho, if I am asleep when the postman comes they never make any noise at all.....bless 'em 2X  :angel:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 06:03:20 AM »
I must be quite lucky in that Dexter doesnt eat the post however if the post man comes or there been post while hes been out the room her chews on the letter box flap.  :005: The post drops to the floor and he ignores it. He does enjoy a chew on the free papers though.