Author Topic: 20week pup, how much to feed?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
20week pup, how much to feed?
« on: December 04, 2010, 08:50:36 AM »
Hi all,
Don't want to sound really daft on here but is there a guideline anywhere to say how much to feed delta? She is 20weeks and when she went to be weighed at end of nov she was 7.1kg's atm I'm giving her 70grams of JWB kibbles and a tablespoon of their wet pouch topper 3 times a day (9am, 1pm and 5pm) plus she loves to devour a pigs ear at about 8pm, am I doing right or should I be dropping her down to 2meals a day now?
Thanks

Offline mooching

Re: 20week pup, how much to feed?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »
If she was just having kibble, JWB's recommendation would be around 225g per day, so if Delta is maintaining her weight, and growing a bit, then it would sound like the right sort of amount for her.

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog_food/feeding_guidelines.aspx#standard_puppy

If you dropped her down to two meals, you'd still need to be giving the same amount, just divided into two not three. It just depends on whether that might be too much for her. You could always start by giving her a little more for her first and third meals, and cut down the amount of the lunchtime one, to see how she does.

Just to mention the pig's ear, my vet advises against these, for all dogs really but especially for pups. In pups, the pieces could cause choking or an intestinal blockage, and they're also very fatty (risk of pancreatitis). It's up to you of course, but I just thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware.

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice mooching, will check out the JWB website when I get home, also thanks for the info about thwe pigs ears, will contact my vet about them :)

Offline mooching

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:32:02 PM »
lemoniee

We used to have a Cavi (he passed away last March at age 10), and we would give him a pig's ear once a week for a treat. And he never came to any harm - however, now that I know of the risks, I don't want to chance it with our new pup.

I've seen others on the forum recommend cows ears instead, as they are less fatty (it's the fatty content that can apparently cause a problem with the pancreas), and (even better) venison ears, as they are even leaner.

Zooplus also do dried veal sticks:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/dog_chew_sticks/13412

(which I've recently bought for Alfie on Ninasmum's recommendation)

and also a whole variety of ostrich chews etc (IIRC Nicola recommended the meat and the tendons):

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/bunch

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:22:12 PM »
I can highly recommend the veal sticks from Zooplus- all my dogs love them  ;) I wouldn't give a pigs ear every day, far too fattening :shades:

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »
sorry for your loss mooching  :'( i lost my cocker last feb, swore id never have another cocker after the grief i went through but here i am with Delta  :luv:

i will look into getting some different ears for her, i saw some cows ears at our local pet food mill and i commented to OH about how much more transparent they were than pigs ears...

she does like a gnaw on rawhide chews too especially the lollipop ones from p@h!

Its one big learning curve having a pup as my previous cocker, we didnt get her till she was nearly 8  :lol2:

Offline mooching

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »
sorry for your loss mooching  :'( i lost my cocker last feb, swore id never have another cocker after the grief i went through but here i am with Delta  :luv:

It's so hard isn't it. Even now I find myself thinking "this time last year we didn't know it would be Flinty's last Christmas..."

i will look into getting some different ears for her, i saw some cows ears at our local pet food mill and i commented to OH about how much more transparent they were than pigs ears...
Btw, I've remembered that it's Burns who make packs of venison ears: (and hearts and tongues!)

http://burnspet.co.uk/dog/treats_products.asp

she does like a gnaw on rawhide chews too especially the lollipop ones from p@h!

Sorry to come down on you again  ph34r  - but you might like to have a quick look at this recent thread I did on rawhide chews:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=77664.0

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
No no mooching I'd rather you tell me these things rather than hav a sick dog...thanks for the info on the chews, will be more vigilant with them, I usually get them from p@h or my local feed mill, will have a looksee on burns' website and will get her some of them but I have just bought 6 pigs ears...ah well!  Thanks again x

Offline MarkSpark

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »
lemoniee

We used to have a Cavi (he passed away last March at age 10), and we would give him a pig's ear once a week for a treat. And he never came to any harm - however, now that I know of the risks, I don't want to chance it with our new pup.

I've seen others on the forum recommend cows ears instead, as they are less fatty (it's the fatty content that can apparently cause a problem with the pancreas), and (even better) venison ears, as they are even leaner.

Zooplus also do dried veal sticks:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/dog_chew_sticks/13412

(which I've recently bought for Alfie on Ninasmum's recommendation)

and also a whole variety of ostrich chews etc (IIRC Nicola recommended the meat and the tendons):

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/bunch

Will those chew sticks and ostrich chews etc, be OK for a puppy 16 weeks old Mooching?

Offline mooching

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »
zooplus says that the veal sticks are suitable for both dogs and puppies. You could always email them to ask about the others.