Author Topic: Phoebe Started Agility Training Yesterday  (Read 785 times)

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
Phoebe Started Agility Training Yesterday
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
I've thought for some time that agility training might stimulate her more and I recently contacted the Purbeck Agility Group which trains on a Sunday morning.  Yesterday they had their first session for this year (they haven't met for a few months because of the bad weather).   I didn't know what to expect but we had a lovely morning.  It took place in a large field which had two courses laid out - one for beginners and one for intermediates (advanced came in after we had finished).   The whole thing was very well organised with the rings fenced off and chairs provided for the humans to rest in between rounds.  There were six beginners - Phoebe, Mutley (a long-haired GSD boy), Sippy (a rescued white terrier girl), Molly (a B&W springer), Mitch (a handsome tri-colour rescued cross-breed) and a black lab girl whose name I didn't get.   The beginners course was set up for small dogs with low level jumps and small tunnels but contained everything including A-frame, see-saw, dog-walk (?), hoop, collapsed tunnel with a kennel at the entrance.    We were third on and although I have watched a lot of agility and knew what was needed there was no co-ordination between me and Phoebe who was on her lead - she didn't even look at the first jump and I thought she would know what was meant by the word 'jump'  :005:  Anyway, we struggled round the course with the help of the trainer and eventually finished with all the jumps down and me struggling for breath!    All of the others had the same difficulties, especially Mutley, who was more interested in the ball being used to tempt him over the jumps etc by his young handler.   It wasn't long before it was our turn again but this time was different and we got our act together!   We are quick learners and had a clear round in double quick time (comparatively) :cool4:  :cool4:  Our last two rounds were almost as good but the trainer varied the route to include the large see-saw and the hoop.   All in all we had a lovely time and I was really impressed with how quickly Phoebe responded to my commands.   She was her normal laid back self, taking in everything that was going on around her but at the same time doing what was asked of her.   I'm really looking forward to the coming weeks and to hopefully being fitter than I am now  :005:  

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
Re: Phoebe Started Agility Training Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:19:30 PM »
So pleased you both enjoyed your first agility class,great fun isn't it?,also very addictive! The  dogs pick it up very quickly -although I sometimes still get me left & right muddled up   - dog perfect -handler needs more instruction  ph34r
 I sometimes have trouble keeping up with Tess at Agility,she has got very quick,I sometimes just have to tell her which way to go .

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
it sure is addictive bob and i go and we have such fun
Bob is very good and some time wishes he has a decent handler  :005:

i am pleased you both had a good time

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
I'm so glad you both enjoyed it :D

Doing agility with William was the best fun I've ever had with any of my dogs. Yes, we had our frustrating moments and bad days, but we built up a wonderful partnership and understanding of each other. I was desperately upset when we had to stop to safeguard William's back against further damage. That was 2 years ago this month and I still miss it.

Whether you just do agility for fun or decide to compete I'm sure you'll get huge satisfaction out of it :D

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
Thats lovely to hear  :cool4: :clapping: :banana:
Well done Pat & Phoebe.....it sounds like you are going to have a fab time.  :shades: :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie