Author Topic: Worried about Willow  (Read 2033 times)

Offline maddy74

Worried about Willow
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:38:53 PM »
As you are all probably aware as I've posted on this topic before with Willow having sloppy stools previously. We had a week last week and although we were away they were perfectly formed, however a few days ago they became sloppier again, mucussy at the end, then yesterday became really runny. During the night she cried twice to go out and it was diarheoa. She then went again this morn twice, On the fourth time she went she strained a little, a tiny amount of poop and then blood. I was so upset. She appears fine in herself. Called the vet as they are working an out of hours service as its B.Hol, as she is fine in herself they said not to worry but to stave her for 6-8 hours then feed her light meals of chicken and rice for 24 hours. I had a free sample of the CJS food and gave her some of that yesterday and half a carrot, could it be this or could she have a bug?

As she is a thin dog anyway it only takes a few days of her being sloppy for her to look ill. Just feeding her now and been giving her teaspoons of nat yog in water so she doesnt dyhydrate. My poor baby  :'( Is this okay?

When i posted before I know others said that sloppy stools are common so I havnt been worrying too much, but its never been like this with her wanting out in the night and she has never had blood in her poops before. Im wondering whether a food change would be good once she is recovered. Her worming is up to date and she had JWB food. She has had two wasps stings in the last 3 days and at first I thought it might be a stress tummy!?

Thanks in advance for advice,

Maddy

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
Re: Worried about Willow
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
Darcey went thru a stage of getting bad tums and she's just starting with them again. We're back on a no hooman food ban. Does she get lots of treats? Darcey's tum has been alot better since changing to Lathams from Harringtons. Hopefully you'll get her sorted.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline maddy74

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
I was giving her pedigree schmachos and raw hide chews, she did get a new chew at the weekend, apart from chicken and rice and a bit of carrot she doesnt have human food. Is the blood from straining?

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »
Don't know about the blood depends on the amount Darcey only had it once or twice and it was a few spots in lots of mucus.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
She seems fine in herself but I feel sick with worry  :'(

Offline DarceyTheDog

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
Darcey was mostly fine the only time I had to run to the vet was when she was shaking and crying and groaning but the vet said it was prob a bug - said image what you feel like when you've got a stomach bug that's what she'll be feeling. I was really worried at times and and felt bad for not taking her to the vet but she's fine. I'd personally sit it out unless she becomes unwell but make sure she's still drinking and not getting dehydrated if your worried if she's not drinking get a syringe from the chemist and squirt water in her mouth.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:19:29 PM »
She isnt a big water drinker but probably my own fault as I wet her kibble so she gets lots of fluids there. As she hasnt been allowed kibble today ive given her 3 lots of a teaspoon of nat yog mixed with an inch or so of water, she has taken that. Given her a tiny amount of rice and chicken and the rice had soaked up a lot of water, will give her another smaller amount at 8.30ish. I am really worried but OH thinks im over reacting and we ended up arguing about it earlier as he wanted to go out for the day as planned and I said no we had to stay home and let Willow relax.  :huh:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:23 PM »
there are lots and lots of tummy bugs going around at the moment - Jarv has had diawotsit since Thursday and it's just starting to clear up now.  He is ok on chicken and rice, in fact he loves it (for a little while) and it seems to be ok with his tummy but sometimes chicken is hard for dogs to digest.

Will she eat fish?

Did you give her anything for her wasp stings?
helen & jarvis x

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
It could well be colitis? sometimes it is brought on by stress, and maybe the wasp stings have stressed her out a little?? with colitis you can sometimes get a little blood and the straining fits too :-\. Just do as the vets advise and starve her as this will give her bowel a rest.
Hope this helps  :luv: :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Helen Ive never given fish I know you sent me the P.M when we spoke about feeding her up, I know you mentioned was it sardines or pilchards, is that too harsh at the moment, what fish would you give. The first sting was a few days ago and I used tea tree oil mixed with salt and water and bathed it, it was on her leg and the 2nd sting (yest eve) we had found some tcp so we used this, diluted to bathe it. I have yet to buy in piriton. Yesterdays sting was on the inside of her ear, not right inside, but her head was twitching for the duration of the walk and I looked at the other ear, then as it continued although she still seemed to enjoy her walk I looked in the other ear and the blooming sting was still there , i did feel bad  :'( :'(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »
I would give her white fish while her tummy is off (I have on occasions resorted to taking the breadcrumbs off cheap white fillets, and I know a friend spent hours undressing fish fingers once  :lol2: )

The stings could well have bought on colitis - it sounds like she carries her 'stress' in her tummy like Jarvis does  ;)

Instead of tea tree oil etc just use a paste of bicarb soda and water which really helps take the sting out of stings   :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »
Thanks Helen, I've sent you a PM, cant help but think I'm becoming a nuisance keep posting on here  :'( :'(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
you're not being a pain, have pm'ed you back anyway,  but your thread is exactly what the forum is for and is about - and people will always want to help  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »
I know Helen and thank you, I know Willows stools issue has been explored previously on here, I feel like its a vicious cycle and I am tempted to visit the vets to get the tests that were previously mentioned as I dont know where else to turn, its gets worse, we lessen her food, and give s smaller bland diet for a short period, she loses weight, we re introduce her jwb food and the whole cycle starts again.  :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: What should I do in the long term. ????

Offline seaangler

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »
Hi..
As you know we had a almost a week of it with are new pup gemma...The second time we went back to the vets she gave us some antibiotics...plus royal cannin sensitivity...And a week later we are back on solid poo and no mucussy in the poo..we are now weening her off the R/C and back on to pro-plan a bit at a time...

As Helen says there may be some tummu bugs going around....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy