Author Topic: Orijen v Burns  (Read 967 times)

Offline Potter

• Site Member
Orijen v Burns
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:27:22 PM »
I would very much appreciate your opinions on this one.

Daisy is 4yrs old and a Show Cocker.  She has always been fed Burns, mixed in with 20 grams cooked chicken thigh and 10 grams cooked liver.   :D  She has always been a picky eater.  However, she was spayed at Christmas and since then she has become a "food bucket"!  Such a big change in her.  And the weight has crept up. :-\

A friend suggested I change her food to Orijen as it is high in protein and her experience of it was that her dog lost weight on it.  Daisy has a delicate tum  ph34r  so I did this by 10 grams a day, over about 14 days.  She was fine - all food is very welcome with Daisy.  :005:

I noticed straight away that she was drinking much more, though that has calmed down now.  Over the period of a month, (she has been on it for 2 months now), her weight has dropped and we have a lovely waist and ribs.   :luv:  The Vet recently said she was fine, but if it was his dog, he would like to feel the ribs just a little bit more.  And I agree.

However, and here's the rub.  Daisy has begun scratching like a flea ridden hound (she's Frontlined every month), licking all paws until they are soaking wet all day long, and generally, an itchy mess.  After a week of this, I took her to the Vet. 

He said it was a stab in the dark with Cockers and allergies, but he was going to treat her for sarcoptic mange  ph34r  for 2 weeks, and see what transpired thereafter.  As Daisy is walked over open countryside every day, and she loves a good roll  >:D  the chances are pretty high that she has rolled in fox wee - which is where the Vet thinks it might have come from.   :o

We have finished the course of steroids, she is still on antihistimines, and the Dermisol and Malaseb washes are still going on daily.  It's a full time job in itself!

She is scratching much less, and licking her paws much less - but it has not stopped completely.

And I had this sneaking thought that maybe, just maybe, it might be the switchover of food......?  I did mention it to the Vet, and he said let's deal with this first, and see what happens.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Orijen v Burns?  Pros and cons?  Daisy will happily eat either of them, so taste is not an issue.  I did a lot of research on both foods before I changed her diet, and Orijen scored very high (the highest on some) on independent food analysis sites.  Burns was "criticised" for being high in grain and rice - which canines do not "naturally" eat.  Orijen is much higher meat/protein percentage and no grain or rice at all.

My head is going back and forth with arguments, so would appreciate some feedback.

Thank you for listening.

Kay and Daisy

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: Orijen v Burns
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 08:04:43 PM »

I had jessie on Burns for a while but she lost so much weight on it.  Have had a look at Orijen and had thought of changing them, they are fed Barking Heads at the moment, and doing well on it.  Decided to stay with the BH case of "If it ain't broke don't try and fix it".  Orijen seems to have good reviews, The other one is Acana, made by the same company but little less protein.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »
The best food may not be suitable for some dogs! If I was you, I would switch back to Burns and see whether it makes a difference. If it does, you know it was the food and there might be something in Orijen that your dog can't handle.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Potter

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
Yes, Lurchergirl, that's what I've been thinking. 

Thank you for your thoughts.  Much appreciated.

Kay and (itchy) Daisy

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:24:57 PM »
It does sound like Orijen didn't agree with her and she has an allergy to it.I have wondered about changing Ruby to a higher protein kibble as she is on Burns,but she is in good condition and our vet said she is a perfect weight,not too fat and not too thin.
IMO there is a lot lot lot (did i say lot  :lol2:) worse you could be feeding than Burns and my thoughts are "if it ain't broke,don't fix it".  ;)

Hope Daisy is back to herself soon.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.